Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Questions - First Purchase

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-12, 09:43 AM
RyKnocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone! I've been lurking these boards for the past month as I save up for my first road bike, and I have narrowed it down to these choices.

- Specialized Allez Compact
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...01&scname=Road

- Jamis Ventura Sport
https://jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/r...asport_rd.html

- Motobecane Vent Noir
https://bikesdirect.com/products/moto...ntnoir_xii.htm

I really don't want to go over that price point because I know I'll need to spend more money on some accessories. I'm really leaning towards the Allez Compact but I do have a few questions.

- How easy will it be to upgrade to Tiagra/105 shifting? I've looked and searched online but I'm not really clear on whether or not the Allez/Ventura are upgradable since they both start with 8 speed cogs.

- Will I be able to upgrade the Allez/Ventura to SRAM/microSHIFT as well or do I need to stick with Shimano?

- Given the feature set of the Motobecane bike I posted, would it be a better value to go with that over the Specialized/Jamis?

I really want to go with the Specialized or Jamis because I have two LBS's within 2 miles of me that both specialize in those brands, but if it will be hard to upgrade the parts later on then I may just have to settle with the Motobecane.

Thanks for your input and I can't wait to start riding!
Old 03-13-12, 09:48 AM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Vent Noir. It's bulletproof and get complimented on it everytime.. I have the 2011 version and the 2012 is now semi-compact. The initial "upgrade" you need to buy is the saddle and the pedals (well, unless you're going to use SPDs). Otherwise, it gets the job done.

If I could advise you one thing - try to get the best bike you can get now to avoid upgraditis. If you can spend 1k then do it.

No it's not hard to upgrade the parts...but like I said, if you already feel this way now, why don't you just get the bike you really want instead of settling for something that's so-so.

Last edited by Biscayne05; 03-13-12 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-13-12, 09:49 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Just so you know, upgrading shifters is probably the most expensive thing to upgrade. Probably be better to buy a bike with the shifters you plan to use and upgrade everything else if necessary.

Old 03-13-12, 09:54 AM
RyKnocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biscayne05
I have the Vent Noir. It's bulletproof and get complimented on it everytime.. I have the 2011 version and the 2012 is now semi-compact. The initial "upgrade" you need to buy is the saddle and the pedals (well, unless you're going to use SPDs). Otherwise, it gets the job done.

If I could advise you one thing - try to get the best bike you can get now to avoid upgraditis. If you can spend 1k then do it.

No it's not hard to upgrade the parts...but like I said, if you already feel this way now, why don't you just get the bike you really want instead of settling for something that's so-so.
Thanks for the reply. It will be my first bike so I really don't know what I want. I'm just going off of what I've researched. I don't know how long I'll stick with the sport, and maybe 2300 shifting will be good enough for me. I think my biggest concern is whether or not the Allez/Ventura frames are upgradable. As in, will I be able to put Tiagra/105 parts on them in the future?
Old 03-13-12, 09:54 AM
tardman91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote Specialized. If you're already thinking about upgrading the shifters my best advice would be to just get a bike with them already on there. For a few hundred extra now you'll get the shifters you want, and the rest of the parts will be upgraded accordingly too. Look at it this way - if you're set on upgrading you're going to spend the money either way, just now, or later. If I had spent a few hundred more on my first road bike I'd still be riding it, but instead I bought a better one a couple of years later.
Old 03-13-12, 09:57 AM
tardman91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RyKnocks
I think my biggest concern is whether or not the Allez/Ventura frames are upgradable. As in, will I be able to put Tiagra/105 parts on them in the future?
I can't speak for the Ventura, but the Allez is an excellent frame that can be completely upgraded and serve you for many years to come. In general pretty much all road bike frames are upgradable to whatever components you want. You reach a certain point when you have to consider if it's worth it to continue upgrading a cheap-ish frame or to just get a new one. And some day you might decide you want carbon, or steel, or titanium...
Old 03-13-12, 10:33 AM
RyKnocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tardman91
I can't speak for the Ventura, but the Allez is an excellent frame that can be completely upgraded and serve you for many years to come. In general pretty much all road bike frames are upgradable to whatever components you want. You reach a certain point when you have to consider if it's worth it to continue upgrading a cheap-ish frame or to just get a new one. And some day you might decide you want carbon, or steel, or titanium...
Thanks again guys for the information and this last reply is more along the lines of what I'm looking for.

In this case it looks like I'll be going with Specialized since it's upgradable. I understand your point on getting a bike that already has the shifters I want, but I really can't afford to go that high in price. I would be able to get a bike within the next few months as opposed to having to wait until next year to get something that's Tiagra/105 equipped.

With that said, is there really a big different between 2300 and Sora shifting, especially for a beginner like me? The reason why I ask is because the Allez Sport and Ventura Comp have the Sora shifters and rails for about $200 more.

Last edited by RyKnocks; 03-13-12 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-13-12, 10:40 AM
unionmade

Bikes: Litespeed M1, Jamis Sputnik

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How about this, with 105 shifters and a steel frame. https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._legacy_xi.htm
Old 03-13-12, 10:45 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by unionmade
How about this, with 105 shifters and a steel frame. https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._legacy_xi.htm
I really like the looks of that bike...except for the fork. Something about that fork bugs me, but it seems like a good deal.

Old 03-13-12, 10:50 AM
tardman91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With that said, is there really a big different between 2300 and Sora shifting, especially for a beginner like me? The reason why I ask is because the Allez Sport and Ventura Comp have the Sora shifters and rails for about $200 more.
I'm pretty sure that they are functionally identical. They both use thumb shifters. I know for 2013 Sora is going with levers that are more like the Tiagra/105 type.
Old 03-13-12, 10:55 AM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since this is your first bike I'm assuming you have no mechanical experience with bicycles. With that being said, I would go with one from the LBS, and make sure you get a year or 2 of free tuning and maintenance and then you won't have to worry about things like truing the wheels and tuning the derailleurs and brakes, and you could even get some advice from the mechanics there and eventually get to the point where you can do the maintenance on your own. If you buy a bike online you better plan on being able to tune it and set it up for you body geometry.

Go to your LBS and ride both the Jamis and the Specialized and see which one you like the feel of more (go for a fairly long ride such a couple of miles and have them set the seat and bars where you would want them if it was your bike). Then make your decision. I always feel that online bikes are not a good alternative for people that are just getting into the sport because you will not be as sure which frame and components matter more to you until you have more experience.
Old 03-13-12, 11:06 AM
bobones

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tardman91
I'm pretty sure that they are functionally identical. They both use thumb shifters. I know for 2013 Sora is going with levers that are more like the Tiagra/105 type.
Current Sora and 2300 are ergonomically identical, but Sora is 9 speed and 2300 is 8. Sora has slightly better materials and finish.
Old 03-13-12, 11:16 AM
RyKnocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome info guys, thanks!

Another question. When upgrading shifters, do I need to upgrade the derailleurs as well or will I be able to just use the shifters? I know the 2300 is an 8 speed system, but will Tiagra or 105 shifters work on an 8 speed system or will I need to replace derailleurs/cogs/etc?
Old 03-13-12, 11:18 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by unionmade
That gets my vote. My favorite LBS is a Specialized dealer and I would but the Schwinn from BD before buying the Allez given the steel frame and the components

The Specialized and Jamis are both upgradeable...but is it worth it to do so? The A1 Specialized frames are their cheap low end frames, thus are on the lower price point bikes. The Allez that people rave about are the E5 frames but you (the OP) aren't looking to spend that kind of coin. Rather than look for a bike and consider upgrading it I would either spend the money now or get the cheap bike and start saving for one that is more expensive...and NOT upgrade the first bike.
Old 03-13-12, 11:20 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Awesome info guys, thanks!

Another question. When upgrading shifters, do I need to upgrade the derailleurs as well or will I be able to just use the shifters? I know the 2300 is an 8 speed system, but will Tiagra or 105 shifters work on an 8 speed system or will I need to replace derailleurs/cogs/etc?
You will need to replace the cassette and chain too, at a minimum, otherwise the shifting won't be right...you may have to change the RD as well. Unless it is a really nice frame which sorry but none of these is, it doesn't make sense to upgrade a drivetrain from 2300 or Sora to say 105. Just get a new bike at that point.
Old 03-13-12, 11:56 AM
tardman91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you looked to see if your LBS has any leftover 2011 Allez's? You may be able to get a 105 equipped one at a pretty good discount. And as far as upgrading the Allez, the E5 frame is where it's at. Not the A1 on the lower end ones.
Old 03-13-12, 12:01 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know it isn't the answer you want but the upgrade advice is spot on. Buying the 8speeds with the intent of upgrading the drive is just not a really sound idea financially. Sure, some can make it work if they are willing to pick through used parts and do the work themselves. For most cyclists (non-wrenches) though the cost doesn't make sense. A far better option is to budget a little more to get the drive you actually desire. You will actually save a ton of money and hassle this way. Besides, your 8speed has very little value to recoup in the event of an upgrade so you get stung both on the non-packaged drive price but also on the lack of resale value in the old drive. Conversely if this is your first go at road cycling you can always buy one of those as a starter bike with the intent of reselling the whole bike to buy an upgrade bike in the future. Or, plan on buying an upgrade bike and keep this one as a beater/bad weather bike. Frankly though, these options are not at all superior options from a $ standpoint. Best option is to get as much of a bike as you want and can afford packaged as this bundling generally saves the most money.

Good luck and ride hard whatever you choose!

Oh, BTW:

1) Seriously consider buying a bike locally where you can get properly fitted and receive ongoing support. Both are key to a positive first road bike experience. Places like BD can be great but are often a recipe for buyers remorse for those who are not wrench savvy or do not know very specifically what their fit requirements are.

2) Those 8speeds a super rough to upgrade as most people use 9/10 these days. So available new/used drives are almost all 9/10 and a require an almost total drive change. Very much not worth upgrading ASFAIC.
Old 03-13-12, 12:30 PM
himespau 

Might be a better option to figure out your size and drop that $7-800 on a really nice used bike if that's an option.

Old 03-13-12, 12:57 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
it seems to me to be a really bad idea to be considering a drivetrain upgrade before you've even bought the bike.

I would just save up another month or whatever it takes to get at least Tiagra to start with. or if you are determined to buy new this week, then BikesDirect it is.
Old 03-13-12, 01:06 PM
RyKnocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I looked around a bit and noticed that the Giant Defy 2 looks pretty sweet and has gotten some accolades from magazines and such.

Giant Defy 2
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....2/9014/48854/

Do you guys think this is a better buy than an Allez Sport/Ventura Comp (both around $950 and have Sora switches and drive trains). The only downside I see to the Defy 2 is the lack of a carbon fork.
Old 03-13-12, 01:11 PM
aliparkes26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can some Help?!?

I am new to cycling and me and a friend are going to a charity cycle from london to Rome. We both are students and need to buy good but cheap road bikes as we are both students. Could someone advise me if one of these to bikes would successfully get us to our destination, despite them being so cheap.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160737574471#ht_1006wt_958

or

https://www.bikes-by-mail-order.co.uk...source=message

thanks
Old 03-13-12, 01:15 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
there are huge advantages in $1,000-ish bikes compared to $800 and below. so yes, the defy 2 is a good bike. you will find many other $1,000 - $1,200 bikes well worth the coin.

honestly if I'm spending less than $1,000 I would want microshift. it's head and shoulders above shimano 2300.
Old 03-13-12, 01:18 PM
RyKnocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
there are huge advantages in $1,000-ish bikes compared to $800 and below. so yes, the defy 2 is a good bike. you will find many other $1,000 - $1,200 bikes well worth the coin.

honestly if I'm spending less than $1,000 I would want microshift. it's head and shoulders above shimano 2300.
That's exactly what my upgrade plans were but I felt like people would frown upon that. Would purchasing one of my original options and fitting it with microshift be a logical path?
Old 03-13-12, 01:38 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's exactly what my upgrade plans were but I felt like people would frown upon that. Would purchasing one of my original options and fitting it with microshift be a logical path?
Here's a similar bike to the Defy that comes with Shimano 105 components for the same price. And no, retrofitting new shifters would be very expensive. If you spend the money up front you'll get a lot more for your money.

https://www.rei.com/product/830071/ra...o-30-bike-2012

Last edited by Dunbar; 03-13-12 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-13-12, 01:48 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey RyKnocks, where is home? Just trying to gauge the cycling/store market you are in... A few thoughts:

- Used may be a better bang-for-the-buck market for you.
- Buying for the included components generally makes better sense.
- Check with your LBSs to see if you can get interest free financing. May be an easier way to afford and buy the bike/components you actually seem to want...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.