Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm Sorry....I won't do it again.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 03:23 PM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I guess I was a bad boy for starting that 'Riding Topless' thread. I really thought that the 50+ had matured enough to handle the topic honestly and realistically and light heartedly without too many people going all "Helmet Nazi" on me.

I am totally amazed at how many folks actually seem to think I'm unaware of any of the potential injuries. I've fallen often enough times to be fully cognizant of the dangers, though thank you for your sincere concerns. I suspect that most 50+ folks do a bit of occasional riding sans helmet, which I meant to be the point of what I had tried to start as a light hearted thread of confessing minor helmet indiscretions. I didn't do that very well, did I?

I'm even more amazed that our overseers can't give us any breathing room at all on minor discussions such as that thread was developing into.

In the future I'll strive to limit my posts to "Nice Bike", "Great Ride", and "Lookit the pretty picture" so as not to cause any more ruckus.

I'm sorry for all the hassle folks!!
Old 07-10-13, 03:26 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
BAH-HUMBUG!

Apology accepted.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 07-10-13, 03:31 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I saw "Riding Topless" and got all excited. Next thing you know, it's a thread on helmets, and I felt like someone poured ice water down the front of my shorts.

Speaking of which, Has anyone here participated in the "Bike Naked" rides in their local community?
Old 07-10-13, 03:35 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by skilsaw
I saw "Riding Topless" and got all excited. Next thing you know, it's a thread on helmets, and I felt like someone poured ice water down the front of my shorts.

Speaking of which, Has anyone here participated in the "Bike Naked" rides in their local community?
That's what I'm talkin about!

Just my luck, I'd show up and be the only one.

Old 07-10-13, 03:56 PM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a friend who traveled to Cuba recently and she posted a photo on Instagram of herself with an old cigar master as they were lighting up a nice Cuban cigar. She doesn't smoke and takes her pretty good care of herself is athletic and such, but when in Rome right? She said a number of her friends not only verbalized disapproval but also unfriended her because of the image. Silly, one cigar won't kill you nor is something of that nature really a promotion of smoking per se, and I agree that you'd think as adults we're mature enough to understand the nature of things and take them in stride, or at least I'd hope so.

Some people just take things to the extreme without much regard for moderation or seeing the humor in things. I thought the thread was about going shirtless, not sans helmet, did I miss something? No apology necessary, why take the blame for idiots?
Old 07-10-13, 04:13 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't be.

There was a wise man once, who said, "The three greatest drives in man are survival, reproduction, and telling the next guy his business." I see that proven daily. See it here, at work, on the street...you name it. Everyone thinks they're smarter than the next person who's doing something different, or the same thing in a different way.

I'd like a to make a call for all that to come to a screeching HALT; give other people the respect you feel YOU deserve. Shut. The. F. Up. If you feel wearing a helmet is the right thing to do, strap it on; you're not responsible for ME, I'm as grown as you are.
Old 07-10-13, 04:28 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
That's what I'm talkin about!

Just my luck, I'd show up and be the only one.
Nope, with my luck, it'd be the tattoo'd male hipster delivery riders....
Old 07-10-13, 05:30 PM
mkane77g

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No apology needed. Grew up racing motorcycles and darn near sleep with a helmet on.
Old 07-10-13, 05:32 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Or this:

Old 07-10-13, 05:48 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
I guess I was a bad boy for starting that 'Riding Topless' thread. I really thought that the 50+ had matured enough to handle the topic honestly and realistically and light heartedly without too many people going all "Helmet Nazi" on me.

I am totally amazed at how many folks actually seem to think I'm unaware of any of the potential injuries. I've fallen often enough times to be fully cognizant of the dangers, though thank you for your sincere concerns. I suspect that most 50+ folks do a bit of occasional riding sans helmet, which I meant to be the point of what I had tried to start as a light hearted thread of confessing minor helmet indiscretions. I didn't do that very well, did I?

I'm even more amazed that our overseers can't give us any breathing room at all on minor discussions such as that thread was developing into.

In the future I'll strive to limit my posts to "Nice Bike", "Great Ride", and "Lookit the pretty picture" so as not to cause any more ruckus.

I'm sorry for all the hassle folks!!
I love ya, COD - any thread you post is a friend of mine!! And, BTW, I caught the humor in your thread!! Nice try.
Old 07-10-13, 06:05 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Please don't be one single bit sorry unless that seems like it would lead to fun. Your only mistake was sharing the world with a few people still suffering some the disappointment of being passed over for the post of high grand pobha for the universe.

I sometimes wear a helmet. I sometimes go topless. Please join my in inviting anyone who have problems with that to submit their complaints engraved on a pound of platinum. Grits kissing doesn't cut it.
Old 07-10-13, 06:13 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Or this:

Wt.....Lol

This is the way you repay a pretty topless post, lmao.
Old 07-10-13, 06:34 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
COD,
Tonight when I opened this thread, I had to follow the trail of the now moved thread, read a couple of posts by the usual suspects, ...and then I just chuckled. I was reminded of an interview with comedienne Bonnie Hunt. When asked what it was like to celebrate Thanksgiving with her huge Irish Catholic family, she replied, "It's always great until you hear the words, "..And what's that supposed to mean??!"

Some people like to ruffle feathers. You can either satisfy them by engaging, or walk out to the kitchen for another slice of pie.
Old 07-10-13, 06:59 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Our "overseers" are amazingly quick to censor compared to any other forum I've been on. I guess control is more of an issue for some than it is for me. It is what it is.

With respect to helmets... I wear them. I have no problem with others decisions to forgo them. I do however object to paying for the care of a TBI rider if they've chosen to ride sans helmet. If you're adult enough to make your own decisions than be adult enough to pay for them. With freedom comes responsibility.
Old 07-10-13, 07:00 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
With respect to helmets... I wear them. I have no problem with others decisions to forgo them. I do however object to paying for the care of a TBI rider if they've chosen to ride sans helmet. If you're adult enough to make your own decisions than be adult enough to pay for them. With freedom comes responsibility.
Oh my . . . .
Old 07-10-13, 07:07 PM
Bent Bill

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

And here we go again

just cant leave it alone
Old 07-10-13, 07:13 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Bent Bill
And here we go again

just cant leave it alone
Sounds like you should be a mod if your not already.
Old 07-10-13, 07:18 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You need to shatcan this excuse; the FACT is, taxes don't get raised to cover uninsured healthcare (and don't even start with ACA!) -- and in MY particular case, "you" will pay it regardless, as I have free VA care.

Deal with the real -- once you pay your taxes, you have no say how they're spent.
Old 07-10-13, 07:19 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Our "overseers" are amazingly quick to censor compared to any other forum I've been on. I guess control is more of an issue for some than it is for me. It is what it is.

I think the mods just got tired of seeing helmet debate spill over into everything. So they dump it all into one big thread where anyone with any sense stays out. It's the same with VC/"Take the lane" stuff: it just takes on a life of its own.

As for the rest, you're not the only one who's ever thought that way - but you haven't made it any less stupid. I mean, no one wants to have to pay for your neck injury. Is that a reason for you to wear a mountain bike neck brace?
Old 07-10-13, 07:33 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Old 07-10-13, 07:34 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts

I have a concealed carry permit for my helmet.

Old 07-10-13, 07:37 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Lenny,

I had to look hard to find the original content. One could only fantasize about helmets and which ones you might see removed.

Let just hope this thread does not go down the crapper with the other one.
Old 07-10-13, 07:42 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lookit the pretty picture!!
Old 07-10-13, 07:49 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Lookit the pretty picture!!
Now . . . that comment made me laugh, (because of the context).

Kinda sorry I missed the orig thread. Sounds "interesting".
Old 07-10-13, 08:04 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
So.....is this thread about wearing shirts or is it about Helmut and who is Helmut********** Is Helmut topless???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.