Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 06:45 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
We had a sad one the other day. Since we're working our way through all the James Bond movies on Amazon Video, we watched Goldfinger on the day that Honor Blackman passed away.

Actually I started the movie too late night before last and we had to finish it last night.

Oh well, the show must go on. Tonight, Thunderball!

https://youtu.be/7JowkFmI1Fo
I went through the Connery ones a while ago. When I got to Dalton I just gave up.
Old 04-07-20, 06:46 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Walks. Should. Count. On. Strava.
Just label it as a run, duh.
Old 04-07-20, 06:48 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Just stream this - Radio | WCNY - between 10am and 2pm EDT Monday thru Friday.
Thanks, but no can do. That's 'work outside time'. Before it gets too hot.

Old 04-07-20, 06:50 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10153 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I have to make matzoh ball soup tomorrow, and Charoset. I usually make Charoset with apples, walnuts, raisins, and cinnamon. We have no raisins so I am going to substitute dates. I hope that’s kosher.
I say yes. Have you koshered the house and rented all your chametz to the goyim for a dollar?
Old 04-07-20, 06:53 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Man, I don't know. Mozart is pretty accessible. Have you tried the Bach Brandenberg concertos? They are a pretty fun listen and in no way incompatible with R & B.
Actually I am finding Mozart to be accessible

Old 04-07-20, 06:56 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Get a killer stereo?

It's a bit of a broad genre. Recommendations are going to be a shot in the dark without more info. Why haven't you liked whatever you've listened to thus far? Is there a mood that you're looking for?
I'm trying to find something to sync with my heartrate--about 55 bpm. It's a meditation thing. I've read that classical music can fit the bill.

Old 04-07-20, 06:57 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28590 Post(s)
Liked 1,855 Times in 1,317 Posts
Hey Heathpack very interesting case. Autoimmune diseases are often the most challenging to diagnose and treat.

Exhibit A is VV.
Heathpack already knows the only reliable drug for autoimmune.

Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 04-07-20, 07:02 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by Jadesfire
Sure. What do you want to know?
You're traveling to a distant star by spaceship and you can only take three of your favorite songs from high school with you.

Go,
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Tell you what - when we can just hop in a saucer and get to Mars at will, y'all can tell me I'm wrong. Until then, I'm siding with the physicists, and I don't think further exploration of this topic on this thread will be fruitful.
I just wanted to deconstruct.
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Just label it as a run, duh.
I labeled the last one as a run. Actually I didn't notice there was a walking category until today.
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Thanks, but no can do. That's 'work outside time'. Before it gets too hot.
See?
Old 04-07-20, 07:07 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
I say yes. Have you koshered the house and rented all your chametz to the goyim for a dollar?
Nah. We are reformed Jewish, or as I like to call it, “Judaism Lite.”
Old 04-07-20, 07:11 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
I topped up the sealant in my carbon wheels today. Tomorrow, I’ll change out the brake blocks on my Propel so I can replace my aluminum wheels with the carbon deep dish TL wheels.

I know no one needs to know this but I thought a little cycling talk would be nice.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 04-07-20, 07:13 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Thanks @Jadesfire. That first piece is quite nice. I will make a point of listening to both pieces.
And berner too.
I realize there is modern classical too, and that might fit the bill. It's a wide world out there. And I'm beginning to realize we may be locked down into June.

Old 04-07-20, 07:14 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Hey datlas and MoAlpha

I have another weird case.

7 year old female spayed medium sized mixed breed dog who I originally saw 5 years ago for multifocal CNS signs, which included abnormal mentation, visual deficits and poorly localized hyperesthesia. Presentation was typical for encephalitis, which is a common and usually immune-mediated disease in dogs. Brain MRI and CSF tap confirmed the diagnosis and all infectious tests (tick-borne diseases, fungal diseases and protozoal diseases) were negative. I treated the dog with anti-inflammatory prednisone and initially several months of a myelosuppressive agent called lomustine aka CCNU at an every 30 day schedule ie chemo lite. She became asymptomatically neutropenic (resolved within 7 days) on lomustine and ultimately the monitoring schedule was too much for the owner, so I switched her to cyclosporin A which she received for 18 months (my standard treatment course for this disease). The dog came off all medication and returned to normal for 3.5 years.

About a month ago, the owners thought the dog was relapsing in her encephalitis (which is not an uncommon occurrence and the owners were abundantly aware was a possibility)- the dog seemed uncomfortable in the back half of her body, weak in the hind legs and mentally a little "glassy eyed". It was the weekend and they had some prednisone on hand so they started that. She was immediately better. They called me on Monday, I worked them in that day. Her neuro exam was normal except for a visual deficit in the right eye with normal pupillary light reflex. Localized to the left forebrain and with the history of seeming painful in the back half of her body, multifocal disease seemed likely and the primary concern was for a relapse of immune mediated encephalitis.

I recommended repeat brain MRI plus lumbar spine MRI and CSF tap as indicated. Due to costs, owners declined. Without the previous history of immune mediated encephalitis, I would not have started immunosuppression without a definitive dx of encephalitis but in patients of mine with a solid past history of immune mediated encephalitis, I am willing to do this so long as we sit down and have a face to face and the owners understand fully what we are risking if we're wrong.

Ok, so we go ahead with anti-inflammatory prednisone plus the same dose of cyclosporin A she had previously been on years prior. Ten days later, she shows up at the ER with an abscess in her inguinal region. That abscess is lanced and drained, she is put on antibiotics and her immunusuppressive meds are continued. She follows up with me a week later, doing fine and the abscess is healed. Ok that was weird but I am immunusuppressing her so the abscess kind of makes sense.

Two weeks go by and she calls on my day off to report a non-weight bearing lameness of her right front leg. My colleague in neuro sees her and finds carpal pain. No joint effusion, she has the orthopods look and they don't palpate joint effusion either. But the concern is for immune-mediated polyarthritis, so she taps two joints and the joint fluid cytology comes back as normal. Started doxycyline and ran tick titers while awaiting the joint fluid cytology. Tick titers some back negative a few days later.

The next day the dog comes in through the ER because there's limb swelling in the tissues of the lower right forelimb. The ER doc palpates what he thinks is an enlarged right submandibular LN. He is worried about a bacterial cellulitis of the right forelimb and adds enrofloxacin and recommends LN aspirate, which the owners decline (later when I talked to them, they declined the LN aspirate because they mistakenly assumed it was enlarged due to the presumed bacterial cellulitis, not realizing that the submandibular LN does not drain the right thoracic limb so we'd not expect that particular node to be enlarged in this exact scenario). ER doc tells them to follow up with Heathpack on Monday, four days after the intial onset of the right thoracic limb lameness.

So I saw the dog yesterday. Aspirated the "lymph node" (which by now is so large and firm that I'm not 100% sure it is a lymph node vs a mass in the vicinity of the lymph node) and get pure fungal hyphae (no lymphoid tissue) and now have a fungal panel pending and the dog is on voriconazole, off CSA and on only a physiologic whisper of prednsione for another week. The presence of fungal hyphae and the dog's clinical picture would be most consistent with systemic aspergillosis and some dogs are born with an immunologic "blind spot" to aspergillus specifically. This is most commonly seen in German Shepherd dogs but occasionally in other breeds. So in addition to the aspergillus antibody test that comes with my standard fungal panel, I have ordered an antigen test called a galactomannan titer (I don't know if this is a purely dog thing or if its the same in people).

Here's the interesting thought experiments:
1. Was the original diagnosis of immune-mediated encephalitis correct? Yes, I think so, the dog had two years almost of immunosuppression and did well without dying from fungal disease.
2. What happened at the recent "relapse"? Did she have the bad luck to get a completely new neurologic inflammatory disease- ie she now had a fungal encephalitis when she previously had a immune-mediated encephalitis? Of course we don't have a firm dx of encephalitis but we have the hard neuro finding of the right visual deficit with intact PLR which must be accounted for. Did she indeed have a relapse of immune mediated disease and I was just super effective in innumosuppressing her with my cyclosporin (which I use all the time, rarely with this extent of complication, and in fact used with no adverse effect in this very dog previously), leading to first a bacterial abscess and then systemic fungal disease? Did she maybe not have a bacterial abscess but instead a fungal abscess, which would be really rare? If so, why would she have gotten better on antibiotics while still on immunosuppressants? Seems likely that actually the abscess was in fact bacterial.
3. If the fungal disease is the result of my immunosupressing her, then what was the going on the the "relapse"? Did she actually have immune-mediated disease and now that's going to fall apart on me because I can't suppress her immune system any longer?

I could push hard for a repeat MRI and spinal tap in this dog and maybe I should but it honestly not going to change what I immediately do, and it would be expensive, leaving less overall budget to try to treat this dog. And short of seeing fungal organisms in my CSF, I still won't know if I have inflammatory disease if its infectious or immune mediated. Unless there is a fungal PCR panel that I could maybe run on CSF, I guess I could look into that. I don't do tons of PCR testing on CSF in dogs because my absolute sample volumes are usually small, as encephalitis is most commonly seen in toy breeds of dogs. But this dog is big enough that I could probably get a pretty large spinal fluid sample.

I think I want to just get my fungal titers back first and my galactomannan assay and see what I get- aspergillus antibody neg and antigen positive is a pattern that I interpret as an aspergillus-specific immunodeficiency and that just never turns out well in the long run. That's probably the most important next thing for me to figure out.
Great case and a real therapeutic dilemma, especially with the cost constraints! My nearly worthless opinion is that the most parsimonious explanation is recurrent autoimmune encephalitis and secondary infections due to immunosuppression. You haven't given us the doses and they'd be meaningless to me anyway, but, in my recollection, it doesn't take a hell of a lot of methylprednisolone and cyclosporine to knock down the T cells. I love you you guys can elicit all those signs and symptoms. I'd love to see you examine a patient some time.

Today we had a presentation of an isolated brain mass in an untreated HIV patient, which turned out to be mycobacterium avium complex. Apparently fantastically rare. Guy is actually doing well on treatment.
Old 04-07-20, 07:15 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Nah. We are reformed Jewish, or as I like to call it, “Judaism Lite.”
Less filling. I call it seder masochism. Oh, and a colleague sent this to me:

I do not want you in my house
I do not want you or your spouse
I do not wish to eat with you
At Seder one or Seder two!
Don't get me wrong, I think you're nice
But here's the the CDC's advice,
"Ten Plagues are enough, we don't need one more
And shoo Elijah away from your door"
This year's only guests: father, mother, sister, brother
“Next Year in Jerusalem!” we will say to each other
At next year’s Seder we will tell
How God saved his people with a squirt of PURELL!

Last edited by MoAlpha; 04-07-20 at 07:19 PM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-07-20, 07:21 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

I think what's missing is the theramin.

https://youtu.be/pSzTPGlNa5U
Wow!

Old 04-07-20, 07:30 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
You're traveling to a distant star by spaceship and you can only take three of your favorite songs from high school with you.

Go,
High school...high school...hmm...this made me go dig out my CD collection!
-The Phantom of the Opera (original cast recording), if limited to one song then Angel of Music
-Mamas and the Papas, one song only I suppose would be Early Morning Rain
-Anything composed by John Williams.
Old 04-07-20, 07:34 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11394 Post(s)
Liked 4,736 Times in 2,758 Posts
Likes For LAJ:
Old 04-07-20, 07:35 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

it doesn't take a hell of a lot of methylprednisolone and cyclosporine to knock down the T cells.
If T cells are a proxy for tumor necrosis factor, it does for me.
Old 04-07-20, 07:36 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

They'll invent a lightweight energy source for propulsion and systems power lasting millennia right after they cure SARS-CoV-2.
In theory, the concepts of entanglement and nonlocality may have applications in communications and even teleportation, although these ideas are still largely hypothetical at this stage. Due to the effects of the uncertainty principle, the mere act of observing the properties of particles at a quantum level (spin, charge, etc), disturbs the quantum system irrevocably, and this would appear to prevent us from using this system as a means of instantaneous communication. However, Anton Zeilinger's work at two observatories in the Canary Islands has shown promising indications that entangled particles can indeed be reconstituted in a different place (although the leap from this to a teleportation device of the kind envisaged in Star Trek is a profound one).

Old 04-07-20, 07:48 PM
Jadesfire 

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I went through the Connery ones a while ago. When I got to Dalton I just gave up.
Connery or Craig. Those are the only Bonds.
Old 04-07-20, 07:51 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by Jadesfire
High school...high school...hmm...this made me go dig out my CD collection!
-The Phantom of the Opera (original cast recording), if limited to one song then Angel of Music
-Mamas and the Papas, one song only I suppose would be Early Morning Rain
-Anything composed by John Williams.
This does not match the era of the other two.

At any rate, doesn't appear you listened to much pop/rock in HS.
Old 04-07-20, 07:52 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
In theory, the concepts of entanglement and nonlocality may have applications in communications and even teleportation, although these ideas are still largely hypothetical at this stage. Due to the effects of the uncertainty principle, the mere act of observing the properties of particles at a quantum level (spin, charge, etc), disturbs the quantum system irrevocably, and this would appear to prevent us from using this system as a means of instantaneous communication. However, Anton Zeilinger's work at two observatories in the Canary Islands has shown promising indications that entangled particles can indeed be reconstituted in a different place (although the leap from this to a teleportation device of the kind envisaged in Star Trek is a profound one).
Who are you?
Old 04-07-20, 07:54 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by LAJ
Already memorialized?

Old 04-07-20, 07:59 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11394 Post(s)
Liked 4,736 Times in 2,758 Posts
Pinball Wizard
Classical Gas
Paradise by the Dashboard Light
Likes For LAJ:
Old 04-07-20, 07:59 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
We had a sad one the other day. Since we're working our way through all the James Bond movies on Amazon Video, we watched Goldfinger on the day that Honor Blackman passed away.

Actually I started the movie too late night before last and we had to finish it last night.

Oh well, the show must go on. Tonight, Thunderball!

https://youtu.be/7JowkFmI1Fo
This is one of my favorites. There was some weird legal issue regarding ownership of the thing, and as a result it is rarely shown.
Old 04-07-20, 08:00 PM
Jadesfire 

This does not match the era of the other two.

At any rate, doesn't appear you listened to much pop/rock in HS.
Hey, that's part of the variety. And I'm sure there was some pop/rock mixed in there back then, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. I do remember that the first rock CD I bought (and still have, and it's probably going in my Jeep tomorrow, thanks for the reminder) was Bruce Springsteen's The Rising- but that was the year after high school.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.