Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gloves. Which do you own or recommend for these problem areas

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-21, 10:22 AM
DynoD500_SR20-d
I ride to clear my mind

Bikes: Dyno D500-Ribble Endurance AL (2019) Tigara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Thanks in advance
Old 07-31-21, 10:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
I wear minimal golves (Giro ZeroCS), but I also make sure my weight is not carried too much on my hands AND I move them around a bit. I've found that, FOR ME, padded gloves exacerbate every problem they're supposed to help with.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-31-21, 01:55 PM
DynoD500_SR20-d
I ride to clear my mind

Bikes: Dyno D500-Ribble Endurance AL (2019) Tigara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I wear minimal golves (Giro ZeroCS), but I also make sure my weight is not carried too much on my hands AND I move them around a bit. I've found that, FOR ME, padded gloves exacerbate every problem they're supposed to help with.
Yes they do lol. I find this to be a fact
Old 08-01-21, 01:58 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
After trying padded gloves and having problems, I switched to thicker handlebar wrap and thinner gloves. I also like the Giro Zero CS and similar lightly padded gloves, including some Adidas brand cycling gloves I got earlier this year. There's just enough faux-leather on the palms to limit wear, but no gel or thick padding.

But for the bar wrap, I like Arundel Synth Gecko and similarly thick, rubbery wrap, or good quality "cork" wrap, often over an underlayer made from old inner tubes cut into strips like handlebar wrap. Inner tube strips alone are adequate bar wraps but the carbon black will eventually wear off onto your hands, clothing, brake hoods, etc. So it's usually better as a base wrap between the bar and an outer layer of good outer wrap. (That tip is often suggested by GCN videos as well.)

Also, cutting old inner tubes into long strips is handy for practice wrapping handlebars. No worries about making mistakes, so it's a cheap way to practice new or unconventional wrap techniques.
Old 08-01-21, 02:29 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
At some point, padding will help. As an example, sleeping on a mattress vs. the floor, or sitting on a park bench vs. an arm chair; some amount of padding has to help. In the same way a thin pad doesn’t do much to make stadium bleachers into sofa-comfy seats, maybe the gloves folks have found lacking siimply didn’t go far enough. Alternatively, it may be practically impossible to add enough padding to a glove…I dunno.

Louis Garneau Air Gel Ultra have some serious padding, though:

https://garneau.com/us_en/air-gel-ul...gloves-1481183
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-02-21, 12:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
I use thin gloves and fairly thin bar tape (Fizik Microtex Classic) and have no pain or numbness issues even after 4+ hours. I don't know whether I'm just lucky, or my bikes are set up better than people who have chronic problems with hand pain. It does make me think, though, that a lot of what people try to fix with padding could possibly be addressed with bike fit. But like I said, I might just be lucky.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-02-21, 12:55 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
I took a chance on these cheap gloves, and they're fantastic. I bought my wife a pair and she loves them too. The padding is thick and they seem to be very well made, at least they're holding up so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-02-21, 01:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
I've been using the Specialized Body Geometry Sport Gel Gloves for several years and they have been fine. Though it's time to replace them. Might try the Specialized Body Geometry Dual-Gel next depending on what they look and feel like when I get to the shop and try them on.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...es/c/glovesmen

If you keep your hands only in one place, like on the hoods, then you should be changing them up more often to help with numbness. I find the drops much more comfortable for the hands and don't get any numbness in them when on the drops.

I'm using shallow drop bars so my body position doesn't change very much from hood to drops. So that allows me more time in the drops comfortably.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-02-21 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-02-21, 02:33 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I like thinly padded gloves for the feel. I use Assos gloves mostly because I like the style and quality. but, there are a lot of other gloves that are just as good. It's an individual thing.
Old 08-02-21, 08:01 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I wear Giro Zero for my road bike. I have no need for padding in my glove or my tape. I only wear gloves because of sweat.