Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Price for Columbus steel Bianchi?

Old 12-02-21, 03:16 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Price for Columbus steel Bianchi?

Hey guys, I went to a bike shop for a repair and they have an old bianchi, very pretty nice steel frame. The kid at the register said they could give it to me for like 300, and when talking to the owner about it he said like 500. I don't know anything about the parts or how much they refurbished the bike, its sitting outside because of lack of space in the shop so I don't think they value it particularly much. I kind of want it though its sweet, been on the lookout for an old steel frame that's my size. Think 500 is a decent price for a nice old bianchi?
Old 12-02-21, 06:14 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The laws of probability say no. For it to be worth that price, it would have to be a high grade model, all orignal and in very good condition. The odds of it meeting those requirements are quite small. However, if you post photos, members can tell you if the stars have aligned in your favour.
Old 12-02-21, 08:01 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Bike shops will charge a premium for used bikes; plus celeste Bianchis tend to command a premium as well. But we cannot give a price evaluation without a picture
Old 12-02-21, 10:01 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Yes, more info needed. When you say outside, is it getting rained on? That would be sad. Or by outside do you mean an unheated shed? Does the owner know the year and model of the bike? That would be good to know.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 12-02-21, 06:55 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Hey guys, I went to a bike shop for a repair and they have an old bianchi, very pretty nice steel frame. The kid at the register said they could give it to me for like 300, and when talking to the owner about it he said like 500. I don't know anything about the parts or how much they refurbished the bike, its sitting outside because of lack of space in the shop so I don't think they value it particularly much. I kind of want it though its sweet, been on the lookout for an old steel frame that's my size. Think 500 is a decent price for a nice old bianchi?

Are you able to look at it? Can you see a tubing sticker or model name? Any thing on the components? Does it have a triple Crankset? Cantilever brakes? What color is it? Does it have a unicrown fork?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-02-21, 08:02 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Being a shop the tires will tell a lot if they bothered to put pretty nice new tires on the bike it is likely something a bit special and maybe worth the ask. If it has vintage worn tires and is out front not in the shop run away if the bike is really worth much they would find room and put tires on it.
Old 12-03-21, 01:19 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Never ass-u-me that a used bike at a bike shop has been fully serviced. I've seen a ton of as is bikes, obviously neglected, obviously not maintained, for sale at bike shops. Buyer beware.

$500 for a vintage bike is the higher end for sure. Has to be pretty special to command that price.

You mention you are not knowledgeable about vintage bike values. In any financial transaction, the one with the most knowledge WINS. Doesn't matter what you are buying.
Old 12-03-21, 01:53 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Sup Larry! You really won't be able to make a good decision unassisted. Since you have found some folks to ride with, you should run this by them.
Old 12-04-21, 09:56 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts

Got it for 400, the bike store owner thinks I'm insane but kind of likes me so I don't think he want some to rip me off. Gonna take this out to a crit next week if I can get off work, it seems pretty fast
Old 12-06-21, 08:33 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
This is better than what I was expecting to see. The combination of an investment cast seat lug, front derailleur braze-on, Gipemme dropouts and chromed drive side chain stay suggests a 1988-1989 Mondiale, which was the top of the line model. I thought 1989 was the year that they replaced the stay cap engraving with the cheapo decals. In which case, an SLX tubeset would be correct.