Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Does a 700c (622mm) tire fit on a 630mm rim?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Does a 700c (622mm) tire fit on a 630mm rim?

Old 12-06-21, 01:12 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
People make that claim from time to time, but until I see a video of someone actually installing a tubular tire on a 630-mm (27") rim, or at least a photo supporting the claim, I'll remain dubious. Most tubulars require quite a bit of stretching (and sometimes cursing, in my experience) to fit on 700c tubular rims, let alone a 27" rim with raised sidewalls.

That said, some tubulars stretch considerably after being installed on a tubular rim and inflated, so maybe it's possible. If anyone can provide a video or photo demonstrating such a combination, please post it here.
I didn’t think it’d be such a controversial statement. If It’d known, I’d put more effort into documenting it.
But really, it’s no big deal.
Think about it. On a rim for tubulars, the surface that the tubular tire sits on is only a touch inside the outer edge of the brake track.
On a clincher, the ”bottom” of the rim is at the inner edge of the brake track.
The net effect is that the diameter where a tubular tire ends up resting is a tad less for a tubular on a 630 mm rim than for a tubular on a tubular-specific rim.

This was my project bike and rolling test bed for several experiments. 630 mm hookless rims.
It doesn’t have the tubulars here.
As I said, 700C tubulars on 630 mm clinchers is rideable but not ultimately worthwhile - which I’d discovered by the time of the pic.