Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official BF Eroica California 2021 Roll Call!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official BF Eroica California 2021 Roll Call!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-21, 08:59 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
I just paid the full $220.00 for the combined rides. I am only going to ride the Classic, so Eroica gets an extra $70.00 from me.

Does anyone have a theory as to why the only option is to purchase both the Nova and the Classic combined?
Old 05-15-21, 09:05 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Profit optimization
Likes For repechage:
Old 05-15-21, 09:10 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by gugie
Eroica Oregon, anyone?
I can see the advert now, The American Hell of the North, well depending on the time of year.

that’s it- two events same route different seasons, one overall list of accomplishment
Old 05-15-21, 10:22 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Profit optimization
It's non-refundable so I am not going to even bother pursuing a partial refund. If that is truly the case, then that is extremely shady.

I simply cannot trust the organizers, so I will just eat the money to ensure my slot.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 05-15-21, 12:50 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by keithdunlop
The 2021 poster has been released! I'm a local so this may not mean much to some, but the organizers have seemed to have wildly confused the Morro Bay (and the rock) with Cambria (which is a good 20 minute drive north), and the course doesn't approach Morro Bay by any measure. And the pier in the foreground must be Cayucos, which again is many miles south of Cambria. This isn't even anywhere near where the Eroica CA courses go, except for the turn up to Santa Rita. If the imagery had captured Moonstone Beach, or the Piedras Blancas lighthouse, or the descent down Cypress Canyon to the coast, it would have better represented the region that the course covers.

Eroica CA doesn't head to Morro Bay, but OK.

Ummm . . . this isn't Cambria!
Purple outcroppings, the Grapes of Wrath?
Old 05-15-21, 12:53 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
My wife and I plan on retiring in the area in a couple of years, so there's a good chance I'll be hitting you up for some rides!
Anytime!
Old 05-15-21, 12:59 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
!!!

SLO is a wonderful place to live. My wife and I plan on retiring in the area in a couple of years, so there's a good chance I'll be hitting you up for some rides![/QUOTE]
Old 05-15-21, 10:45 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I still can't make that date and I am registered for both the Classic and Nova. If you or someone you know needs to register -- $150 includes both days, let me know and I will initiate the transfer.
might consider putting that in C&V sales and see if you get a taker. Sorry to hear the dates don’t work out for you and hope to see you elsewhere in SoCal or at the Velo-Retro ride.
Old 05-15-21, 10:50 PM
mech986 

Originally Posted by velomateo
I, like others, have yet to receive any email notification regarding the revised date (5 Sept) or re-revised date (19 Sept). I did check the My Eroica page this morning and was very happy to see that the California event is finally listed...and my registration is verified for Sept 19. I'm glad I waited to reserve a place to stay.
Hey it was Sept. 12, then Sept. 19. Try to keep up and don’t get dropped like the rest of us!!

🚴‍♀️🚴‍♀️🚴‍♀️............🚴‍♀️🚴🏻..............🚴🏻
Old 05-15-21, 11:11 PM
mech986 

Originally Posted by keithdunlop
The 2021 poster has been released! I'm a local so this may not mean much to some, but the organizers have seemed to have wildly confused the Morro Bay (and the rock) with Cambria (which is a good 20 minute drive north), and the course doesn't approach Morro Bay by any measure. And the pier in the foreground must be Cayucos, which again is many miles south of Cambria. This isn't even anywhere near where the Eroica CA courses go, except for the turn up to Santa Rita. If the imagery had captured Moonstone Beach, or the Piedras Blancas lighthouse, or the descent down Cypress Canyon to the coast, it would have better represented the region that the course covers.

Eroica CA doesn't head to Morro Bay, but OK.

Ummm . . . this isn't Cambria!
Its artistic license, showing the California Central Coast landmarks that could spark interest to participants. Besides, looking at Cambria and its surroundings from an Apple or Google Maps perspective, everything seems “close by”, be it Big Sur, Hearst Castle, Paso Robles, Morro Bay, SLO, etc. To EC's Italian organizers, maybe it does.

Morro Bay (really only 22 miles from Cambria and 6.9 miles from Cayucos) can be clearly seen from Cayucos and Cayucos pier. And consider if it was the Southern “short ride” of say 45 miles, or a 12-14 mile extension of the longer rides before turning back north and heading east - Cambria-Cayucos-Morro Rock-back north to Old Creek Road and then to Santa Rita summit? That would make the 72 mile ride 84-86 miles, the 81 mile into 93-95, and the 108 mile to 120-122, truly heroic.

Here's the view from the turn into Cayucos from Highway 1 to N. Ocean Ave. looking southward. Morro Rock is clearly visible. This view would be on 3 routes (Santa Lucia, Via Dello Scalatore, and Heroic Routes) which comprises almost 2/3rd of the riders.
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4494...8i8192!5m1!1e4

Google Street View from Ocean Ave and PCH looking south as we turn into Cayucos, snapped from monitor

Here's the view from Ocean Ave just before reaching the Cayucos Pier:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4499...8i8192!5m1!1e4

View from Ocean Ave, Cayucos just before reaching Cayucos Pier, snapped from monitor

I think we could say the EC 2021 poster does represent a reality view from most of the EC routes except the short route.

Last edited by mech986; 05-16-21 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Added specific photos
Old 05-26-21, 11:37 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
How strict are they on shorts in particular? Will all-black modern bibs suffice, or do I need to track down a pair of vintage style wool shorts? If so, which brand would you recommend?
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-21, 11:45 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad L
How strict are they on shorts in particular? Will all-black modern bibs suffice, or do I need to track down a pair of vintage style wool shorts? If so, which brand would you recommend?
Thanks in advance.
You can wear any shorts you want, black is the standard but I saw everything from vintage to Levi's in 2017.

If you are going to step up, these would be the logical choice, not wool, no matter.

https://www.wingedstore.com/cino-col...orts-1190.html

Last edited by merziac; 05-26-21 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-26-21, 01:50 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Thanks in advance.
Yes, all-black modern bibs will suffice.
Old 05-26-21, 03:56 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Think of Eroica as a costume party (the kids call it cosplay). If you went to a costume party, would you not dress up? There are some minimum requirements that can be read on the Eroica site that anyone can read. If you're asking what's the minimum you can get away with, perhaps Eroica isn't your cup of tea. If you've got a bike that passes qualification but just don't want to invest in period correct clothing, no problem, come and join the fun!
Old 05-26-21, 06:15 PM
Brad L 

Think of Eroica as a costume party (the kids call it cosplay). If you went to a costume party, would you not dress up? There are some minimum requirements that can be read on the Eroica site that anyone can read. If you're asking what's the minimum you can get away with, perhaps Eroica isn't your cup of tea. If you've got a bike that passes qualification but just don't want to invest in period correct clothing, no problem, come and join the fun!
Not at all. I'm all in. I have everything I need except the shorts, which I've been waffling on brands for quite a while. It seems most of the repop wool shorts are era correct with a simple chamois without padding. It's been over 30 years since I've worn this style and I'm not sure my aged "contact area" will tolerate it over 80 miles. My other issue is that I'm apparently a puny little guy and it's hard to find a size that won't fit me like a garbage bag. I'm 5'-7" and 130 lbs.
Likes For Brad L:
Old 05-26-21, 07:32 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Not at all. I'm all in. I have everything I need except the shorts, which I've been waffling on brands for quite a while. It seems most of the repop wool shorts are era correct with a simple chamois without padding. It's been over 30 years since I've worn this style and I'm not sure my aged "contact area" will tolerate it over 80 miles. My other issue is that I'm apparently a puny little guy and it's hard to find a size that won't fit me like a garbage bag. I'm 5'-7" and 130 lbs.
Oof, Boulder Bicycles had a pair or two of wool shorts for cheap a few months ago, but they're currently out - these were vintage shorts, not made anymore. Sometimes they find some, get on their newsletter "just in case". Otherwise, Kucharik has them, at a price. eBay may be your best bet if you're looking for something not too expensive.

IMO, padding is way overrated. Padding squishes down to nothing, but a saddle that matches your bottom, and a liner in your shorts that minimizes/eliminates chafing will go a long way to comfort.

If it worked for you 30 years ago, it'll work for you now.
Old 05-26-21, 09:38 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
IMO, padding is way overrated. Padding squishes down to nothing, but a saddle that matches your bottom, and a liner in your shorts that minimizes/eliminates chafing will go a long way to comfort.
My own theory on this ridiculous padded diaper trend in current bike shorts is that modern bikes come with uncomfortable foam-over-plastic-base saddles so you need some padding to reduce the pain somewhat. I've never needed padded shorts while riding Brooks, Ideale, and other suspended leather saddles.

As to vintage shorts, I wouldn't sweat it too much. As long as your shorts are black and not to shiny, nobody is going to notice or worry about what kind of fabric they're made of.
Likes For davester:
Old 05-27-21, 12:49 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
If I was getting wool shorts, I'd get Kucharik with leather chamois. They make them right there in Gardena and can replace the chamois when the time comes. He used to make our club kits (not wool) but I never thought to replace the chamois. I sent my wife to Kucharik this year to fulfill my B-day shorts order and I'll find out what she came home with today. Maybe wool?

edit: no wool. Kucharic is a kick. My wife wanted bibs for me but in my size and the color she wanted, there were only shorts. So, he took them in the back and turned them into bibs. 👍

Last edited by Classtime; 05-28-21 at 05:55 AM.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 05-28-21, 03:52 AM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,286 Times in 1,278 Posts
I got a pair of left over Eroica shorts with padding that are super comfy. They came from a bike shop in Portland Oregon that bought a few sets of jerseys and shorts. I got an Eroica Ca. jersey and shorts for half price with new packaging. They are Santini I think. I also bought a pair of the shorts from Boulder with the chamois that work well too.
Old 05-28-21, 09:53 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
As a major-league Clydesdale (6'3", 255 lbs) with the climbing skills of a banana slug, I refer to people like you by an epithet taught me many years ago by a former NorCal sprint champ: Spindly-legged climbing fart. As in "I hate spindly-legged climbing farts" (usually uttered in gasps on long climbs whilst the object of the epithet is busy doing his or her best Marco Pantani impression).

I'm usually in a more forgiving mood at the top of the hill, though.
Old 05-28-21, 05:25 PM
Brad L 

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
As a major-league Clydesdale (6'3", 255 lbs) with the climbing skills of a banana slug, I refer to people like you by an epithet taught me many years ago by a former NorCal sprint champ: Spindly-legged climbing fart. As in "I hate spindly-legged climbing farts" (usually uttered in gasps on long climbs whilst the object of the epithet is busy doing his or her best Marco Pantani impression).

I'm usually in a more forgiving mood at the top of the hill, though.
You got the "spindly-legged" part right, but I'll be right there with you on the climbs. If you've ever been to Houston you'll know it's as flat as can be. There's really nowhere within 200 miles of here to train for long climbs. And I'm certainly not a natural climber as I fight every gene in my body to be the least bit athletic. See you there.
Likes For Brad L:
Old 05-28-21, 10:28 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Is there a participant limit?
Old 05-29-21, 12:26 AM
Brad L 

Originally Posted by tungsten
Is there a participant limit?
Possibly, but if you'd like to go and can no longer register, there are a few members with registrations that can't go and are willing to transfer their registrations. This is allowed by Eroica.

Click here if interested: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage-sales/1231200-2021-eroicaca-registration.html

Likes For Brad L:
Old 05-29-21, 12:58 PM
velopackrat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You got the "spindly-legged" part right, but I'll be right there with you on the climbs. If you've ever been to Houston you'll know it's as flat as can be. There's really nowhere within 200 miles of here to train for long climbs. And I'm certainly not a natural climber as I fight every gene in my body to be the least bit athletic. See you there.
Brad,

I'm up in FWTX and rode Eroica CA in 2016 and 2017, and had a blast. Before going, I was intimidated over the equipment. But having done it and like the other guys have said, I would say, don't fret over your bibs. I found a vendor on the swap meet day who was selling beautiful new wool bibs, so I bought a pair and loved them. The other revelation was, old saddles can be comfortable. My favorite saddle from the 1980's provided a comfy ride with zero issues over 85 miles. It also had to do with the guys I fell in with. Ex bike racers who know the drill, and it was a great reminder of what a club ride could be like. No one was trying to prove anything. They had all been there, done that. For this group, one famous-but-now-old dude had a triple, but most rode 42x28 for a climbing gear. We just plodded along up the climbs with little drama.

In 2016 and 2017, under Wesley's watch, the rest stops were not to be missed. The food and drink was the best I've ever encountered at a bike event. I hear from my buddies that it slipped the following year but hopefully the promoters have rectified that. you'll have a great time.
Likes For velopackrat:
Old 06-10-21, 06:05 AM
Motorhead69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
All signed up and getting myself back in shape.

I signed up a few weeks ago, and told my brother I was coming to visit him to do this ride. He ended up signing up and buying a bike to ride as well.

I'll be riding the bike I hand built over lockdown.

I'm a little nervous about the hills as it's considerably flatter here in Dallas. Seriously thinking about getting a triple crank.
Likes For Motorhead69:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.