Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Carnac Kronus

Old 11-08-21, 04:59 AM
BennyBikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carnac Kronus

Look for a beginner visored helmet for the track.
Anyone have much experience with the Carnac Kronus?

Blatantly inspired by the Mk1 Bambino. More looking for user reviews in general use at the track.

Thanks in advance!
Likes For BennyBikes:
Old 11-08-21, 09:43 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I've known people who've had them and said they are fine.

Where are you located? You might be able to find a lightly used Bambino somewhere.
Old 11-08-21, 10:39 AM
BennyBikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I've known people who've had them and said they are fine.

Where are you located? You might be able to find a lightly used Bambino somewhere.
I’m in the UK.
annoyingly I missed out on a steak on a bambino a few weeks ago, and haven’t seen one at a good price since.

im not set on the bambino (having never tried one for size/fit)
Old 11-08-21, 08:16 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Hm. I may buy one. I have a Bell Javelin, and what I found when I started researching is that everyone seemed to start with "when the Javelin came out it was good, but now it's pretty slow, so we're going to compare all the fast helmets with the slow Javelin".

I was worried about doing the "tail air brake" thing but it seems that I'm good at not sticking the tail up. So maybe the Javelin isn't bad. But I have no data, and I hope to have a day at a track where I can do some Chung kind of laps. I'd like to try a couple different helmets, and the Carnac Kronus was one of the helmets I wanted to try.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-09-21, 03:15 PM
BennyBikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Went ahead and ordered the larger size in black.
I’ll report back when it arrives.
Old 11-10-21, 12:05 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 744 Posts
I wish Carnac would bring back the shoes
Old 11-16-21, 08:36 AM
carpediemracing 

Are the Carnac Kronus legal for use in the US? I don't know what the criteria is for legal helmets.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-17-21, 10:42 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Are the Carnac Kronus legal for use in the US? I don't know what the criteria is for legal helmets.
From CyclingUSA:

SECTION 1. HELMETS MANDATORY

Part 1. At all times when participating in or preparing for an event held under a USA Cycling permit, including club rides, motorcycle drivers and all motorcycle passengers shall wear a securely fastened helmet that meets the US DOT motorcycle helmet standard.

Part 2. At all times when participating in or preparing for an event held under a USA Cycling permit, including club rides, all licensees who are mounted on a bicycle shall wear a securely fastened helmet that meets either the US DOT helmet standards or the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standard for bicycle helmets.

Helmets with the European CEN certification may be worn by riders only while participating in a race inscribed on the UCI calendar.

Riders shall show documentary proof of this, such as a manufacturer's label, upon request by event officials.

This provision does not apply to riders who are riding rollers or any other stationary device.
Likes For 700wheel:
Old 11-19-21, 10:40 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by 700wheel
From CyclingUSA:

SECTION 1. HELMETS MANDATORY

Part 1. At all times when participating in or preparing for an event held under a USA Cycling permit, including club rides, motorcycle drivers and all motorcycle passengers shall wear a securely fastened helmet that meets the US DOT motorcycle helmet standard.

Part 2. At all times when participating in or preparing for an event held under a USA Cycling permit, including club rides, all licensees who are mounted on a bicycle shall wear a securely fastened helmet that meets either the US DOT helmet standards or the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standard for bicycle helmets.

Helmets with the European CEN certification may be worn by riders only while participating in a race inscribed on the UCI calendar.

Riders shall show documentary proof of this, such as a manufacturer's label, upon request by event officials.

This provision does not apply to riders who are riding rollers or any other stationary device.
THanks. When I read your reply I remembered reading that a while ago and nixing it off my list. I didn't remember why I nixed it though and it was driving me crazy.