Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Tasteless sign at Houston bar

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Tasteless sign at Houston bar

Old 10-29-21, 02:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I like to do purposeful malapropisms (did you know there's not a word for that) for effect. Law school prof?
Taught undergrad/grad. school law courses.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-29-21, 06:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Every time I see the title of this thread, I'm reminded of this headline.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-30-21, 08:24 AM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
But imagine the dramatic increase in people walking into each other. There are already too many distracted walkers with their faces in their phones.
Or who don't have phones but simply don't know how to move over and realize that other sidewalk users get half... and those other people shouldn't have to squeeze way over to the side or walk off the sidewalk so the clueless ones can walk three abreast with their friends.

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I do not think this word means what you think this word means!
I assumed it was an intentional pun...

Originally Posted by rydabent
Or a normal person could just laugh it off as a joke. These days no one has a sense of humor, and it seems everyone is looking for a reason to be "offended"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe because some things aren't funny. As explained above, there are some things that are too problematic or serious to be joked about, or we as a society are not far enough into fixing them to be perpetrating the idea that it's all just a big joke.
Likes For Kat12:
Old 10-30-21, 08:31 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
Or who don't have phones but simply don't know how to move over and realize that other sidewalk users get half... and those other people shouldn't have to squeeze way over to the side or walk off the sidewalk so the clueless ones can walk three abreast with their friends.

I assumed it was an intentional pun...

Maybe because some things aren't funny. As explained above, there are some things that are too problematic or serious to be joked about, or we as a society are not far enough into fixing them to be perpetrating the idea that it's all just a big joke.
You remind me I need to be offended. I am offended by all those people that are offended. Try lightening up, you will be a happier person for it.
Old 10-30-21, 08:37 AM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
You remind me I need to be offended. I am offended by all those people that are offended. Try lightening up, you will be a happier person for it.
Try not making assumptions about what other people are like, and all will be happier people for it.
Old 10-30-21, 02:54 PM
sonhenry

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, another bar sign trying to be funny. Not everyone can be consistently funny like the El Arroyo folks are. They get a D- for that one...
Old 10-30-21, 10:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You telling other people to lighten up is hilarious.
Old 10-31-21, 11:32 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Do people really ride a bicycle in downtown Houston when it's 100° ... in October?
I rode a bicycle across Texas, from El Paso to Fort Worth, in June 1981. Heat is not much of an issue if you keep moving and stay hydrated.
Old 11-07-21, 07:28 AM
rydabent
Banned

These days people get so upset over such trivial things. They seem to wake up and look for things to be "offended" by, like that bar sign. Just move along, nothing to see there.
Old 11-07-21, 07:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

These days people get so upset over such trivial things. They seem to wake up and look for things to be "offended" by, like that bar sign. Just move along, nothing to see there.

The bar owner acknowledged that it was offensive and stupid. Sorry you can't tell the difference between a silly joke and a prominently displayed verbal attack, but I don't think anyone had to look hard to see how nasty that sign was.
Old 11-09-21, 11:45 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by livedarklions
The bar owner acknowledged that it was offensive and stupid. Sorry you can't tell the difference between a silly joke and a prominently displayed verbal attack, but I don't think anyone had to look hard to see how nasty that sign was.
On the things in this world to be up set about that bar sign is number 86745229673621 of things to be up set about. Get real.
Old 11-09-21, 11:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

On the things in this world to be up set about that bar sign is number 86745229673621 of things to be up set about. Get real.

Apparently, you're so "up set" about people getting "up set" that you're picking arguments with them about it. Where does "people getting overly up set about making jokes about cyclists getting killed and hurt" rank on your list of things "to be up set about"? How about you "get real" and "lighten up" and quit scolding people for not liking it when people joke about blaming cyclists for getting hurt by bad drivers?

Again, the bar owner admitted he was in the wrong here for putting that sign up, why are you fighting so hard not to accept that?

The word is "upset", btw.

And one more thing, this thread was dead for 8 days and people had moved on when you decided to bump it by posting a rerun "people are looking for things to be offended by" post. If that wasn't ironic, what is?

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-09-21 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-12-21, 12:25 PM
rydabent
Banned

Apparently, you're so "up set" about people getting "up set" that you're picking arguments with them about it. Where does "people getting overly up set about making jokes about cyclists getting killed and hurt" rank on your list of things "to be up set about"? How about you "get real" and "lighten up" and quit scolding people for not liking it when people joke about blaming cyclists for getting hurt by bad drivers?

Again, the bar owner admitted he was in the wrong here for putting that sign up, why are you fighting so hard not to accept that?

The word is "upset", btw.

And one more thing, this thread was dead for 8 days and people had moved on when you decided to bump it by posting a rerun "people are looking for things to be offended by" post. If that wasn't ironic, what is?
I notice you are still "bumping" it. You need to learn an adult mind easily sorts out what is real, and needs to be worried about. Adult minds do not worry about jokes. BTW the bar is just trying to suck up to the weak minded that are so easily offended to get their business back.
Old 11-12-21, 02:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I notice you are still "bumping" it. You need to learn an adult mind easily sorts out what is real, and needs to be worried about. Adult minds do not worry about jokes. BTW the bar is just trying to suck up to the weak minded that are so easily offended to get their business back.
You know what's hilarious? You being so worried about whether people are too worried about the joke thing.

Adult minds don't revive a thread telling people to let go of something they obviously had let go of a full week earlier.

What's also hilarious is I know I could drive you into a tizzy making a joke about recumbent riders.

BTW, I don't think you have any insight into what the bar owner was thinking, and YOU have a lot of nerve calling anybody weak minded.
Old 11-13-21, 09:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

You know what's hilarious? You being so worried about whether people are too worried about the joke thing.

Adult minds don't revive a thread telling people to let go of something they obviously had let go of a full week earlier.

What's also hilarious is I know I could drive you into a tizzy making a joke about recumbent riders.

BTW, I don't think you have any insight into what the bar owner was thinking, and YOU have a lot of nerve calling anybody weak minded.
FYI I just call them as I seem them. Its still a free country, and everyone is free to decide where they stand.

Fire away with you jokes about recumbents. Being an adult I will laugh them off as the jokes they are. BTW bent riders dont get all butt hurt riding, or about jokes, and things of no consequence at all.

Last edited by rydabent; 11-13-21 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-13-21, 10:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

FYI I just call them as I seem them. Its still a free country, and everyone is free to decide where they stand.
Then why do you insist on telling people how they should feel about unfunny hostile jokes? If you really feel that way, you wouldn't whine so much about people expressing their displeasure.

I just call them as I see them--you bumping a dead thread to tell people to chill out was really bizarre and trollish as hell.
Old 11-13-21, 11:44 AM
rydabent
Banned

Then why do you insist on telling people how they should feel about unfunny hostile jokes? If you really feel that way, you wouldn't whine so much about people expressing their displeasure.

I just call them as I see them--you bumping a dead thread to tell people to chill out was really bizarre and trollish as hell.
Calling me names indicate that I won the debate. Losers always start with the name calling.
Old 11-13-21, 01:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Calling me names indicate that I won the debate. Losers always start with the name calling.
I didn't call you a name and you called me "loser", so I won. Thanks!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-14-21, 07:07 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
I wasn't offended by the sign....I know I'm not a normal person. A normal person these days seems to be fat, out-of-shape people that ride around in steel boxes.
Old 11-15-21, 10:29 AM
rydabent
Banned

I didn't call you a name and you called me "loser", so I won. Thanks!
In this case loser is not name calling it is a situation you put yourself into. Note your one post that calls me a whiner, when in fact I am only expressing my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and free speech.

BTW if I could really put down what I think about people that are so offended about trivial jokes, and every day happenings, and what other people think, I would get kicked off this forum.
Old 11-15-21, 12:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

In this case loser is not name calling it is a situation you put yourself into. Note your one post that calls me a whiner, when in fact I am only expressing my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and free speech.

BTW if I could really put down what I think about people that are so offended about trivial jokes, and every day happenings, and what other people think, I would get kicked off this forum.
I didn't call you a whiner, I said you whine.

I cannot tell you how funny it is that you're so outraged by people overreacting to what other people think that you can't actually express it without getting kicked off the forum. Your lack of self-awareness is hilarious.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-16-21, 09:37 AM
rydabent
Banned

I didn't call you a whiner, I said you whine.

I cannot tell you how funny it is that you're so outraged by people overreacting to what other people think that you can't actually express it without getting kicked off the forum. Your lack of self-awareness is hilarious.
More personal attacks.