Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It just doesnt make any sense

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It just doesnt make any sense

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-21, 10:49 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
You are not a manufacturer, nor do you represent one .... and you are the only person making that claim.
Maybe I’m confused. I thought SRAM was fairly up front about wanting to do everything as a 1x and eliminate front derailleurs. Is that not the case?

Otto
Old 11-08-21, 10:54 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
All I know about the topic is this: I've had some triple cranks in the past, but now all my bikes have at most two chainrings, and I like it that way. I stay on the large ring 80% of the time, but still need the small one for steep climbs.

My wife's bike has three, and I hate that thing. She doesn't know how to shift and won't let me teach her. She gets offended when I try to offer advice on things like this. I wish I could afford to build her a wheel with a Rohloff 14 speed IGH. We could go down to one chainring and still give her a range wide enough for her needs. Oh, well. I guess for the foreseeable future she'll continue grinding gears, shifting every 15 seconds (both front and rear) and waiting until she comes to a hill or a dead start to decide it's time to shift, so she can attempt it with max force on the crank. (Besides cost, this is the other reason an IGH might not be a good choice.)

I love Mrs. Broctoon but cringe continually throughout any ride she takes with me. The fact that her bike is not completely worn out after a mere four years is a testament to Shimano durability.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 11-08-21, 11:11 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Maybe I’m confused. I thought SRAM was fairly up front about wanting to do everything as a 1x and eliminate front derailleurs. Is that not the case?

Otto
Well SRAM are certainly pushing 1x as a viable option across the board i.e mtb, gravel and recreational road. But I'm not sure that they intend to eliminate 2x for road racing? They have taken a modular approach, where you can mix and match to make up whatever 1x or 2x you need.
Shimano are taking a more conservative approach to their road stance, still strongly favouring 2x and Campag are taking a slightly different approach with a gravel based 1x with a road cassette option.

I thought this was a fairly balanced view of the market and pros/cons of 1x vs 2x. There is no mention of 3x anywhere.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/9...he-1x-groupset

Last edited by PeteHski; 11-08-21 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-08-21, 11:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Same. Just cruising through.

This thread is to BF poster as a tree is to a male dog.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-08-21, 11:24 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
All I know about the topic is this: I've had some triple cranks in the past, but now all my bikes have at most two chainrings, and I like it that way. I stay on the large ring 80% of the time, but still need the small one for steep climbs.

My wife's bike has three, and I hate that thing. She doesn't know how to shift and won't let me teach her. She gets offended when I try to offer advice on things like this. I wish I could afford to build her a wheel with a Rohloff 14 speed IGH. We could go down to one chainring and still give her a range wide enough for her needs. Oh, well. I guess for the foreseeable future she'll continue grinding gears, shifting every 15 seconds (both front and rear) and waiting until she comes to a hill or a dead start to decide it's time to shift, so she can attempt it with max force on the crank. (Besides cost, this is the other reason an IGH might not be a good choice.)

I love Mrs. Broctoon but cringe continually throughout any ride she takes with me. The fact that her bike is not completely worn out after a mere four years is a testament to Shimano durability.
My wife used to have a 3x mtb and hated shifting the front rings. She's a really strong mtb rider, but not very "mechanically sympathetic" shall we say. Her current mtb is 1x12 and she loves it. So much easier on many levels. No more having to remove a "bird's nest" off the FD after a muddy winter ride.
Old 11-08-21, 12:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
This thread is to BF poster as a tree is to a male dog.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-08-21, 12:28 PM
Ianohian

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, 1983(?) Miele Beta, 1994(?) Rockhopper drop bar conversion, and a Funbike delta front tilt steering recumbent tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genejockey
It IS a lower gear. 40/20 = 2, whereas 38/22 = 1.72.
Yeah, I'll get my coat.
Was thinking of chain length for a double single speed....
Old 11-18-21, 07:16 AM
comfort rider

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Those who want/benefit from 1x12 are most likely not those who want/benefit from 3x.

In cycling, there are multiple disciplines and multiple rider abilities. What one person wants and likes can be different from what another person wants and likes.
Ill give you an example- a recumbent bicycle. This is a goofy contraption that quirky folk who enjoy riding in jeans and full brim hats like to ride. You often see them decorated with quirky flags and streamers that belong in a flower garden. That is a bicycle which some people want/benefit from. Not everyone wants it though.
...a recumbent bicycle. This is a goofy contraption that quirky folk who enjoy riding in jeans and full brim hats like to ride. You often see them decorated with quirky flags and streamers that belong in a flower garden. That is a bicycle which some people want/benefit from. Not everyone wants it though.
Since this is a wedgie-site, I shouldn't have been surprised that it contains disparaging remarks about "quirky folk" like me who want and benefit from riding recumbents while wearing normal, non-athletic clothing along with displaying "quirky" flags that apparently don't belong on my recumbent. May JESUS bless you anyway.

Last edited by cb400bill; 11-19-21 at 12:03 PM.
Likes For comfort rider:
Old 11-18-21, 07:25 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by comfort rider
...a recumbent bicycle. This is a goofy contraption that quirky folk who enjoy riding in jeans and full brim hats like to ride. You often see them decorated with quirky flags and streamers that belong in a flower garden. That is a bicycle which some people want/benefit from. Not everyone wants it though.
Since this is a wedgie-site, I shouldn't have been surprised that it contains disparaging remarks about "quirky folk" like me who want and benefit from riding recumbents while wearing normal, non-athletic clothing along with displaying "quirky" flags that apparently don't belong on my recumbent. May JESUS bless you anyway.[/QUOTE] Those wide brims that fit over or under the helmet sure look the part. Don't know if they work on a 'bent, maybe there is a headrest that interferes? The foreign legion style is next best, IMO.
Old 11-18-21, 07:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Since this is a wedgie-site, I shouldn't have been surprised that it contains disparaging remarks about "quirky folk" like me who want and benefit from riding recumbents while wearing normal, non-athletic clothing along with displaying "quirky" flags that apparently don't belong on my recumbent. May JESUS bless you anyway.

I'm pretty sure mstateglfr was totally kidding about that--OP used to constantly harangue about the virtues of 'bents and trash talk DD bikes. The point is that his trolling doesn't take into account that people ride different bikes for different reasons, and it seems ironic that someone who rides a trike that is relatively uncommon wouldn't get that.

Truth be told, all recreational cyclists are somewhat quirky. I wouldn't even see it as an insult.

Last edited by cb400bill; 11-19-21 at 12:04 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-18-21, 08:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Ease up. I dont care that people dress goofily and ride recumbents. I dress goofily and ride diamond frames. I get the reason for all the flags and streamers, its to be seen since you are 2' off the ground.
That post was, I thought, obviously over the top due to who I was responding to.
Thank you for your blessings.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-18-21, 10:45 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
I had a diamond frame rider blast by me on a single speed gravel bike wearing a wide brim hat and a farmer's button down shirt flapping open to the wind.

It was the middle of summer and he was riding in a group pulling. It was hot, and sunny at 90°f. There was laughter and light heartedness. Groups of people out and about, a stark contrast to covid's summer past.

Now I wear my winter shoes and full gear - ski goggles block the howling wind. Skeletons where trees once blocked the sun.

I pause for a swig of the bottle, wiping the dust away.

​​​​​The woods 3/4" minus crushed limestone is lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Old 11-18-21, 11:48 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Is that "grain" as in "grain alcohol"? ;D

Robert of the Frosted Mug?
Old 11-18-21, 02:02 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Is that "grain" as in "grain alcohol"? ;D

Robert of the Frosted Mug?
Ha ha no infact it's maltodextrin. Lots and lots of HEED. You leave it in the bottle long enough and it starts to smell like grain alcohol!

I leave the good stuff at home to guarantee I return
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 11-19-21, 07:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

My DD frame is actually carved from a giant diamond. It's a bit heavy and the ride is rough, but it won't crack unless I crash it into another ddd bike.
Old 11-19-21, 07:39 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
hot, and sunny at 90°f
90°f isn't hot around where I live.
Old 11-19-21, 09:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by sjanzeir

But it's a dry heat.

Sorry, old joke. But I'm an old guy.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-19-21, 11:07 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
Since you are in the Kingdom, have you had a chance to cycle up Al Jaadah Pass? I've heard that it is beast of a climb.
Old 11-19-21, 11:30 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
Since you are in the Kingdom, have you had a chance to cycle up Al Jaadah Pass? I've heard that it is beast of a climb.
You mean this? Nope, but I've just added it to my bucket list... that I just created. I've been to that neck of the woods just once - in 2004 - on a daylong visit that barely left me a chance to stop and enjoy the scenery. Which is a shame, really - the region is one of the country’s most scenic.
Old 11-19-21, 12:05 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Thread has run its course.

Closed.

Likes For cb400bill: