Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Front rack to match rear rack

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-28-21, 05:12 PM
John Bramson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I have a Surly LHT (black) that I use on tours and would love to throw a front rack on there, I know people here love the tubus rack but I'm thinking it might be better to get a rack with a platform but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any suggestions for a front rack that would look nice with my rear rack (a Topeak explorer). Preciate all the suggestions!
Old 11-28-21, 06:10 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I have a Surly Bridgeclub and have been looking for the Surly 8 pack rack and then adding the Surly TV tray.....take a look at it and see if that wouldn't work for you
Old 11-28-21, 07:12 PM
John Bramson

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
That looks cool but, I was thinking something that could accommodate panniers apologies for not writing that out, thank you for the reply though!
Old 11-29-21, 01:48 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
If you will want to carry anything very heavy up front, I recommend a lowrider front rack. Having the panniers down by the axle makes bike handling much more stable.
Old 11-29-21, 06:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,491 Times in 7,316 Posts
Having only toured with heavily loaded front panniers at mid-level, I can say that the bike handles fine and gives you more ground clearance. Handy if you ride off road.

I have been using the Nitto Big front rack for 11 years. Before that I had custom Beckman racks. Both with front platforms. I’ve carried bundles of firewood on them.

Current setup:

The angle of the photo and the turned wheel make the front panniers look higher than they are.
Likes For indyfabz: