Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Melton tandem value

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 04:43 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
Melton tandem value

Saw this advertised for $400 and was thing these were worth more than that. What would be a reasonable price for it? I have no intentions on buying it.

Old 07-29-20, 09:17 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Ever own a boat?
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 07-29-20, 10:24 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Ever own a boat?
Boat - a big hole in the water you pour money into.

Q: What are the two best days in a boat owner's life?
A: The day he buys it, and the day he sells it.

Need more useful sized pic, and detail pics, and more detail info, on the Melton. But just on the guess that it's a mid-level '80s-'90s tig-welded chrome-moly overly-hyphenated tandem road bike with entry- to mid-level components, that's a very fair price. Tandem-specific pluses - I THINK I see two cables coming out of the rear brake lever, and something silver-ish on the rear hub, which suggests that the rear lever operates both the cantilever rim brake and a drum brake. Also uses an eccentric for timing chain tension rather than the idler you'd find on a CHEAP tandem. Rear wheel is 48 spokes but the front looks like a 36.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 07-30-20, 06:57 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
. . .

But just on the guess that it's a mid-level '80s-'90s tig-welded chrome-moly overly-hyphenated tandem road bike with entry- to mid-level components, that's a very fair price. Tandem-specific pluses - I THINK I see two cables coming out of the rear brake lever, and something silver-ish on the rear hub, which suggests that the rear lever operates both the cantilever rim brake and a drum brake. Also uses an eccentric for timing chain tension rather than the idler you'd find on a CHEAP tandem. Rear wheel is 48 spokes but the front looks like a 36.
I have no idea what the price is given how hard it is to sell tandems but a Melton tandem is not likely to be a "mid level" "tig welded" "overly-hyphenated" tandem. Melton was a heck of a frame builder back in the day and he specialized in tandems.

Mike Melton

My guess is that this is fillet brazed frame by a top end frame builder and these look like pretty high end parts (not entry to mid-level). That looks to be a TA crank. The rear derailleur could well be a Campy Rally. I'll bet those high flange hubs are pretty nice. No way to tell for sure with one crummy pic but these could all be fairly high end vintage gear that is original to the bike. The original owner would have likely paid some coin to outfit back in the day with top notch gear to match the frame.

Last edited by bikemig; 07-30-20 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-30-20, 07:50 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
Only other pics.

Old 07-30-20, 10:00 AM
Bikejock200M

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I had a Melton track tandem. Never actually got to race that one. But it was very well made. Lost it to hard times while living in Toledo OH. Would to OP care to share a link to this tandem? I would be interested in it.
Old 07-30-20, 10:15 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
(The "overly-hyphenated" was a reference to my overuse of hyphens in that sentence; sorry that was not obvious.) Well, I don't see any lugs. The shifters don't look exactly "high-end". Would be a good candidate for bar-ends. Newer pics confirm the drum brake, a definite tandem plus. As said, a very fair price definitely worth the ask.
Old 07-30-20, 10:27 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Suntour bar ends would have been my choice but I could see someone going for stem shifters back in the day. Suntour ratcheting shifters (and I believe that's what these are) were good shifters. Dia compe is making some new stem shifters so there is some small demand for them. I'd think about using them on an upright city build.

https://www.diacompe.com.tw/product/e...-mount-shfter/
Old 08-01-20, 09:06 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
The problem with tandems is the “right sized” duo to buy it.
note that the stroker saddle is slammed down.
other than being a bit concerned about how that seat post is tightened in... size matters.
the front hub does not look Campagnolo.

will eventually find a buyer, price may indeed be market. Location is a big factor.
Old 12-01-21, 07:07 PM
wheelman12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you buy the Melton Tandem…?

Just wondering if there are any updates? Did it work out? I’ve been looking for a good used tandem, and something similar would be a fine start. Shame it’s not closer to me.
Old 12-03-21, 05:56 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelman12
Just wondering if there are any updates? Did it work out? I’ve been looking for a good used tandem, and something similar would be a fine start. Shame it’s not closer to me.
Santana’s are not too hard to find and they make a good bike. CoMotion I believe is a step up from there. The wife and I ride a Santana Sovreign that’s been decked out with Spynergy wheels and upgraded carbon bars and such. On a flat Tandems can be scary fast.😃
Old 12-03-21, 08:45 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
I was thinking of driving down look after the holidays if it’s still around, but then again I might be able to pick it up for less the week before Christmas eh?

I always wanted a tandem, and when I lived in PA I said I needed a first floor apartment and a garage would be even better. Well I have both but the living room is full up and Morticia owns the garage! What’s a girl to do……

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/...410408024.html

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-03-21, 09:32 PM
repechage

@bianchigirl, you could fasten up saddle bags and make it the ultimate cargo bike between tandem use.

that’s a big bike though.
Tandems are a tough sell, I donated mine.
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-04-21, 06:06 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
@bianchigirl, you could fasten up saddle bags and make it the ultimate cargo bike between tandem use.

that’s a big bike though.
Tandems are a tough sell, I donated mine.
It does look like a looong head tube for a 59 don't it?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-04-21, 06:11 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
It does look like a looong head tube for a 59 don't it?
Maybe. Tandems can surprise you.
Old 12-05-21, 12:32 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 2,510 Times in 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Santana’s are not too hard to find and they make a good bike. CoMotion I believe is a step up from there. The wife and I ride a Santana Sovreign that’s been decked out with Spynergy wheels and upgraded carbon bars and such. On a flat Tandems can be scary fast.😃
On a descent, they are serious pucker factor scarier fast.

FWIW, I am not a fan of controlling two brakes out of one brake lever on a tandem. I had a scary experience with that set up (too long a story for here). I very much prefer each brake lever controlling a single rim brake and the drum brake controlled by something else such that the drum can be set as a continuous drag brake. On my tandem, I shift with barcons and use a right-hand brifter for setting the drum brake. That way all three brakes are independently controlled but close at hand, with the ability to "set and forget" the drum brake. The OP could keep the stem shifters and run the drum brake from a barcon.

I weigh about 255# and have had a 200#-plus stoker on with me. A tandem with more than 450 pounds of riders accelerates downhill alarmingly fast. The drum brake by itself will not slow that crew down - don't ask me how I know - but as a drag brake, it makes the tandem accelerate significantly less quickly, which makes laying off the rim brakes for a moment to cool them off a lot more like on a single and a lot less like being shot out of a gun.