Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Zwift riders appearing and dissapearing

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-21, 02:33 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts

I've been getting Zwift updates every week that I have a ride and I'm not keeping on top of the changes but does anyone know if there's a reason why the list of riders around keeps appearing and disappearing? Very random, every few seconds the riders are there and then they disappear.

Is that as expected or is there a problem?
Old 08-26-21, 02:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
For me that means my wifi has dropped out.
Old 08-26-21, 06:14 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
That's a connectivity issue. It'll be a problem on your side, rather than Zwift's side.

Either your home WiFi is dropping out or patchy in your training space, or your internet speeds are slowing causing connection to the Zwift server to be lost for a second (so it can't fetch and update rider positions).
Old 08-26-21, 09:14 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
There are some tools that can be used to verify dropping connections. Some internet site that I can't recall. Just drop your zwift log file in and you get all sorts if stats.
Old 08-26-21, 09:15 PM
spelger

Here it is...

https://zwiftalizer.com/
Likes For spelger:
Old 08-27-21, 06:47 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Originally Posted by spelger
thanks, I forgot about this site. i don't connect through WIFI but direct connection to my hub and the reason I was wondering is because it's been a recent thing. I'm online all day with Zoom meetings and work and don't normally have a connection issue so looking at all the options.

Will try running a speed test as well to see if that is any indication. I pay a lot of money for high speed connection so sure hope that's not the problem.

Ok update, so Zwift Analyzer indicates I am having ANT problems which is what I suspected. I wonder if it's interfering with a device already running Bluetooth? or maybe the USB port the dongle is connected with is unstable?

Whenever I connect on Zwift and start to pair I notice the blue tooth option has that caution sign.

Last edited by gthomson; 08-27-21 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-27-21, 07:28 AM
spelger

Originally Posted by gthomson
thanks, I forgot about this site. i don't connect through WIFI but direct connection to my hub and the reason I was wondering is because it's been a recent thing. I'm online all day with Zoom meetings and work and don't normally have a connection issue so looking at all the options.

Will try running a speed test as well to see if that is any indication. I pay a lot of money for high speed connection so sure hope that's not the problem.

Ok update, so Zwift Analyzer indicates I am having ANT problems which is what I suspected. I wonder if it's interfering with a device already running Bluetooth? or maybe the USB port the dongle is connected with is unstable?

Whenever I connect on Zwift and start to pair I notice the blue tooth option has that caution sign.
unfortunately Ant and Bluetooth share the same freq band. So do microwave ovens and old cordless phones. any of these still around? our older microwave leaked causing my kids' Nintendo hand controller to weird out. noticed the weirdness became greater one day when they moved closer to the oven while it had been on. changed that out right away and problem solved.
Old 08-27-21, 07:48 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
In addition to all of that, remember that some 2.4GHz Wifi channels are actually in the same frequency band as well. You might get better results with using a USB extension cable to position your ANT+ stick under your bike - the range on ANT+ is really short.

That being said (and you need to sort out the Ant+ problem) - an ant problem won't cause the disappearing, that's a network problem. I don't know what's causing it, but you are having issues with your connection to the internet.
Old 09-27-21, 07:32 AM
gthomson

So I found some articles online and this is a problem other rides are having. After reading the extensive article below, I had an idea that it might have been my VPN I was connecting through which appears to have been the problem. Zwifted on the weekend and didn't connect through the VPN and had no problems. The Author of article below talks about firewalls blocking the Zwift packets which is probably what my work VPN was doing as well.
Nearby Zwifters Disappearing from the Screen – A Story of Zwift Troubleshooting - Zwift Insider
Likes For gthomson:
Old 09-27-21, 07:42 AM
spelger

i had this happen before but for a different reason, my router inside the house crapped out momentarily for about a half hour or so. at first i didn't know what was going on and texted the kids to reset it and all riders came back. but i kind of liked it, riding (can't recall where) all alone was kind of nice. the usual riding i do in real life not including cars.
Old 09-27-21, 08:10 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Yeah, the university wouldn't like those packets at all. I had a heck of a time setting up one of our labs because they didn't like some packets from a motion capture system. Even though it was on a private, isolated network. Had to install netshark and log the packets myself before I could convince them to let my packets through.
Old 09-27-21, 12:58 PM
gthomson

I'm pretty sure the only reason it's not outright banned is the owner of the company is a big Zwift advocate so I'm assuming he's given it the OK. As a recent security measure, we were told to sign into VPN at all times now and that must be the difference in not noticing this problem in the past.

Spelger, normally I wouldn't care about the people riding around me either but as the seasons change I'll start dedicating more time to Zwifting which will mean group rides or races so the people come in handy then. Normally if I'm having network issues, I lose my pairing option and my guy just stops pedaling and my numbers all go down to zero. That's even more annoying when in a race or group ride.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 09-27-21, 01:05 PM
spelger

well, it was nice but i wouldn't want to do it on a routine basis. i sort of rely on faster riders so i can push a bit harder to try to catch up. i don't compete with them, i only use them as tools. i know, does not sound very nice.
Old 09-28-21, 02:56 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Zwift is always crazy. I see riders coming across fields that have not roads Or standing in a concrete side walk up to their knees.