Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bob Jackson Help Needed- Price/Model?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-21, 01:14 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 651 Posts
Bob Jackson Help Needed- Price/Model?

Don't know about you folks, but I tend to change my bike interests every so often. Currently learning about higher up Brit and French bikes. Would like to pick up a good condition Bob Jackson, or the equivalent, that could be a fast all rounder. Maybe this one is it, but I'm not sure. it's my size and I like a shorter top tube for long rides.

Clearly it's a repaint. Sticker indicates the work was done at the BJ shop. Unfortunately, the new paint obscures the serial number. Any idea of the model and year of manufacture? Does the fork indicate it's from the '90's? What's a fair price if everything is copacetic? Appreciate any advice here.

Bob Jackson Frame

Old 11-14-21, 01:54 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked 3,331 Times in 2,173 Posts
-----

appears a good deal earlier than " '90's "

likely somewhere between late 1960's and mid-1970's

note -

absence of bottle mount(s)

non-recessed brake mount

long dropouts

presence of housing stop for covered cable operation of front mech

presence of centrepull bridge; very latest for this feature on a machine with caliper brakes would be early 1970's

estimate that '74-'75 is the absolute latest it could be

---

interesting to see that chainstays are rapier pattern

lug pattern is Prugnat S

crown appears Davis

shell appears BOCAMA professional

many of these were contract produced by small workshop operations

the experts may be able to tell how to determine the in-house products from the contracted one...

-----

Last edited by juvela; 11-14-21 at 03:24 PM. Reason: addition
Likes For juvela:
Old 11-14-21, 01:59 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...with that rear cable stop for center pull brakes, and the above the BB shell cable routing for the derailleurs, I'd put that one at no later than sometime in the 70's. Also, the seat tube angle looks pretty slack to me, so maybe not the best choice if you prefer a shorter top tube. I have a couple of bikes by Bob Jackson, one of which is probably contemporary with that one. It's a pretty solid bike.
Old 11-14-21, 02:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...$550 is a reasonable deal. If it was painted and restored by the BJ shop, it probably cost more than that to have that stuff done there.
Old 11-14-21, 02:44 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...with that rear cable stop for center pull brakes, and the above the BB shell cable routing for the derailleurs, I'd put that one at no later than sometime in the 70's. Also, the seat tube angle looks pretty slack to me, so maybe not the best choice if you prefer a shorter top tube. I have a couple of bikes by Bob Jackson, one of which is probably contemporary with that one. It's a pretty solid bike.
Good point on the cable stop. 70's seems like it could be right. My understanding about the cable routing is that BJ kept the above BB routing much later than everybody else. I'm still trying to gather a consensus on Bob Jackson information, though. Don't know that much yet. Noticed the slack seat tube, but the top tube tube measures 22", according to the seller. That should be just right.
Old 11-14-21, 02:46 PM
Sedgemop 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...$550 is a reasonable deal. If it was painted and restored by the BJ shop, it probably cost more than that to have that stuff done there.
I was thinking that seemed like a decent price. Maybe the top end of what I would pay. Thanks for the responses. It's helpful.
Old 11-14-21, 02:47 PM
Sedgemop 

Anybody have any idea what model this might be?
Old 11-14-21, 04:59 PM
Sedgemop 

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

appears a good deal earlier than " '90's "

likely somewhere between late 1960's and mid-1970's

note -

absence of bottle mount(s)

non-recessed brake mount

long dropouts

presence of housing stop for covered cable operation of front mech

presence of centrepull bridge; very latest for this feature on a machine with caliper brakes would be early 1970's

estimate that '74-'75 is the absolute latest it could be

---

interesting to see that chainstays are rapier pattern

lug pattern is Prugnat S

crown appears Davis

shell appears BOCAMA professional

many of these were contract produced by small workshop operations

the experts may be able to tell how to determine the in-house products from the contracted one...

-----
Thanks for the information. That's a lot of detail that I missed.
Old 11-19-21, 12:35 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,055 Posts
Be sure to ask about/check out the bottom bracket threads. In the early 70s, Jackson had problems with mangling an unfortunate number of their BB shell threads such that bottom brackets would not stay put. I had one that resulted in my getting an exploded view of my bottom bracket assembly in the middle of a ride (and in the middle of the road)

I was a teenager at the time and had no clue how to deal with it. A good, reputable shop solved the problem with a Phil Wood BB and red Loctite. That kept the problem from ever rearing its ugly head again, so a work-around is possible and bad threads don't have to be a deal breaker. Using red Loctite, however, is a pretty permanent solution - don't do it unless the BB can stay put without servicing for the rest of the bike's life.

Odds are it isn't an issue with this particular frame; as with Mexico-built Benottos that had overcooked tube joints, its likely that all the problem child Jacksons were discarded long ago. But it would not hurt to do some due diligence so you know what to expect.
Old 11-20-21, 01:35 PM
Sedgemop 

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Be sure to ask about/check out the bottom bracket threads. In the early 70s, Jackson had problems with mangling an unfortunate number of their BB shell threads such that bottom brackets would not stay put. I had one that resulted in my getting an exploded view of my bottom bracket assembly in the middle of a ride (and in the middle of the road)

I was a teenager at the time and had no clue how to deal with it. A good, reputable shop solved the problem with a Phil Wood BB and red Loctite. That kept the problem from ever rearing its ugly head again, so a work-around is possible and bad threads don't have to be a deal breaker. Using red Loctite, however, is a pretty permanent solution - don't do it unless the BB can stay put without servicing for the rest of the bike's life.

Odds are it isn't an issue with this particular frame; as with Mexico-built Benottos that had overcooked tube joints, its likely that all the problem child Jacksons were discarded long ago. But it would not hurt to do some due diligence so you know what to expect.
Thanks for this. I heard about the bottom bracket issue, but wasn't sure how common it was. I wanna think the weak have been culled, but we'll see.
Old 11-20-21, 05:44 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer

yep. I talked to Bob Jackson way back about that as my frame also had a challenged bottom bracket shell… he admitted that some of the lads would clamp the lower half of the shell in the vise too tight… offered to use an investment cast Roto shell at no charge in a subsequent order. I was on my way to Masi land so never ordered another bike.

this subject frame notes renovated- so the seat stay brake bridge could be an addition later.
otherwise the appearance looks like a Messina model to me.
Likes For repechage: