Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Attainable C&V You Want but just Haven't Got!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-24-21, 10:03 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 608 Posts

Hello,

Thought this might be a fun thread idea... I've been into this for a bit more than a decade now (which seems a long time considering I'm only 33). Some of the first fine vintage bicycles I was introduced to were models with Nervex Pro lugs, such as the Peugeot PX-10 and Raleigh International. Despite owning some rare bicycles and going through roughly 20 vintage ones and spending many thousands of dollars on the hobby, I have yet to own and ride ANY bicycle with Nervex Pro lugs despite always admiring them and the fact that many models are very reasonably priced.

That's my starter. What's on your wish list of reasonable C&V stuff that you simply haven't got around to having yet?

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 11-24-21, 10:09 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 394 Posts
I probably have enough bikes... if I can complete them all. It's been perhaps 10 months, IIRC, since I posted a WTB for some 700C wheels with track hubs, High Flange, so I can get my Zeus track bike together. Especially now as I do have a set of rollers in the basement and I could at least use the bike there. I was sorely tempted when recently there was a For Sale post but the wheels were 27". That is what I really want but have not yet found; of course I could resolve this... if cost were no object.

Old 11-24-21, 10:23 AM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
85' Centurion Prestige . These come up for sale around me now and then , usually not my size or not the right year .

Last edited by markwesti; 11-24-21 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-24-21, 10:27 AM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 200 Posts
I like this question. Many of the bikes I have and want are rare but not really expensive in the realm of C&V. I'm interested in smaller ~one-man American-made steel lugged frames. I found my Spectrum, Fuso, Appel, etc. for not a lot. I've paid more for a couple of well-known collectible bikes.

So...what I want:
Fattic
Bock
Kvale
Mooney
Franklin

Then the ones you kind of just have to pay for:
Bruce Gordon
Eisentraut
Della Santa
Gangl
DiNucci
Likes For alexihnen:
Old 11-24-21, 10:30 AM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 1,111 Posts
Alex,
Good to see your putting Doug at the top of the list! Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 11-24-21, 10:37 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
85' Centurion Prestige . These come up for sale around me now and then , usually not my size or not the right year .
Good luck with finding an 86. Never seen a real one, not even in a pic(except for the catalog). The 85s are hard enough to find. On a related note, 83 Turbo close to you. Might be your size. The 83 and 84 I have are really nice bikes. I haven't ridden the 85 Prestige yet. It might be lighter, but I find it hard to believe it'll ride any better than the Turbos. Marathon season ended a week or so ago. I am in recovery mode till after Thanksgiving.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224635331593

Last edited by seypat; 11-24-21 at 10:57 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-24-21, 10:45 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
A 65cm quality early 80s road frame that is in good cosmetic condition. Haven't come across one I would want to keep and hang period correct components.

Next- a bike from Jeff Bock. My main road frame was built in one of his classes where he did some of the brazing, but it'd be cool to have one fully made by him. The guy is an artist.
Old 11-24-21, 10:59 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,444 Times in 1,127 Posts
Gray fade Schwinn Prologue.
Purple slime PDG Paramount.
Panasonic DX-5000.
Dinucci designed early '90s Allez.

All 60 to 62cm.

Brent
Old 11-24-21, 11:26 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 651 Posts
Good question. Working my way through the more readily available French racers. So, probably something like a Jeunet 630 and a Mercier 300.

Also interested in some higher end Brits, like Bob Jackson, Holdsworth, etc. Probably pick up something in that direction in 2022.
Old 11-24-21, 11:28 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
I'm not looking for anything, but have been known to succumb to temptation! That's how I ended up with a Hetchins, and have no regrets about that.

Another temptation was a shiny International. I grew up looking at Raleigh catalogs and also found the Nervex lugs pretty exotic. When a nearly new one popped up for sale about 20 years ago, I was happy to pay the asking price.....

...but... my first good bike was a Raleigh Gran Sport. I rode it for 14 years, eventually deciding that it was showing its age and that I needed an update. I considered a Mercian (which is still a temptation), but went with a small local-ish frame builder. We tweaked the Gran Sport's geometry, added a few modern features, and picked out a suitable color. I'm still riding that bike, and have put about 60,000 miles on it. If you think you know what you want in a frame, this is a path you should consider.
this was its original color and configuration. Apologies for the bar tape.

About 10 years later, when I was bike commuting, I thought it was time to get a bike that was suited to the job. i.e. room for fenders and larger tires, fittings for racks, lights, etc. I was doing some traveling, so I was looking for S&S couplers too. I went to a (different) local-ish builder, worked out the design, and was very happy with the results!

There are plenty of highly skilled frame builders out there, ready to put together something that fulfills your needs and dreams! Just to showcase a couple, let me offer some pics of Mark DiNucci's work...

and a couple of Chris Bishop's bikes.....

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 11-24-21, 11:43 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I'm not looking for anything, but have been known to succumb to temptation! That's how I ended up with a Hetchins, and have no regrets about that.

Another temptation was a shiny International. I grew up looking at Raleigh catalogs and also found the Nervex lugs pretty exotic. When a nearly new one popped up for sale about 20 years ago, I was happy to pay the asking price.....

...but... my first good bike was a Raleigh Gran Sport. I rode it for 14 years, eventually deciding that it was showing its age and that I needed an update. I considered a Mercian (which is still a temptation), but went with a small local-ish frame builder. We tweaked the Gran Sport's geometry, added a few modern features, and picked out a suitable color. I'm still riding that bike, and have put about 60,000 miles on it. If you think you know what you want in a frame, this is a path you should consider.
this was its original color and configuration. Apologies for the bar tape.

About 10 years later, when I was bike commuting, I thought it was time to get a bike that was suited to the job. i.e. room for fenders and larger tires, fittings for racks, lights, etc. I was doing some traveling, so I was looking for S&S couplers too. I went to a (different) local-ish builder, worked out the design, and was very happy with the results!

There are plenty of highly skilled frame builders out there, ready to put together something that fulfills your needs and dreams! Just to showcase a couple, let me offer some pics of Mark DiNucci's work...

and a couple of Chris Bishop's bikes.....

Steve in Peoria
Pretty much everything Steelbikeguy has, especially that primo International. Ever since losing my International to a vehicle collision I've pined to replace it. Those sublime chromed Nervex lugs and fork crown speak to me, even though the typically sloppy Raleigh finish on them is not up there with the finest makers. An orange one would be ideal. I regularly search for one but have had no luck finding anything that is both in great shape and my size. I will continue. Another desirable (though perhaps a bit less attainable) for me would be an Alex Singer or similar French touring bike. This would have to be a rider with suitable gearing for a tour, not a wallhanger, something like this...
Likes For davester:
Old 11-24-21, 11:45 AM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
A Raleigh Team Professional of Reynolds 753 steel.
Likes For rjhammett:
Old 11-24-21, 11:48 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Not in the market for any bikes at the moment. Wife wants me to liquidate some. Gasp! But anything with chrome lugs in my size would be worth at least looking at. Everybody has that one little thing about bikes that floats their boat and for me it is chrome lugs. And of course I'd gladly take polished SS lugs, which would be even better.
Old 11-24-21, 11:58 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,711 Times in 1,393 Posts
I think I may be done with C&V. Technically, at the very least. My partner has a Chapman city bike, I'd like one to match. And I'd like to try Ekar 13 on something for the WI north woods.

The current Chapman.

02 Chapman by iabisdb, on Flickr
Likes For iab:
Old 11-24-21, 12:11 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 996 Times in 355 Posts
I got too may bicycles. Sure? Yes. Is there something what I'd really like to have?
Yep.

Aldo first forgot it but there were made five of these. Aldo? Check the rear fork end.
But it has to be attainable?
Probably this isn't that too. But maybe ..

Old 11-24-21, 12:17 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
I am really only looking for/at 2 bikes at the time...but as always this could change

Torpado Super Light, I had a Torpado super strada and it really rode really well, so I have really wanted to see how cool the top end superlight would be. these are pretty rare so not sure how attainable they are.

Dave Kirk custom. I set a number of personal goals a few years back that when completed a deposit would be made. down to meeting the one last goal

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-24-21, 12:24 PM
sloar

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 421 Posts
Davidson
Jackson
Gios Torino
I think I have the rest covered.
Likes For sloar:
Old 11-24-21, 12:34 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
I'll preface this by giving the "why" and a photo of the latest play toy.

I was able to stumble across and purchase this colorful Klein Quantum ---- I couldnt resist, buuuuuuuuuuut - i am flush with road bikes. Have a lifetime supply so dont need any more

Sooooooo --- If i can make some room in the budget by selling a few things, i will be on the lookout for a matching Klein Rascal

And an Attitude or Adroit in this famous paint scheme would probably satisfy my Klein urges for now - do not need a tension disc like this one has, but would be a nice bonus !

Some race pics of Tinker Juarez on these wildly painted critters (Boy, those Etto helmets were sure ugly werent they?

Likes For DMC707:
Old 11-24-21, 01:07 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
So many bikes, so little time, you can only ride one at a time, blah, blah, blah.

Early PDX builders, Merz, Newlands/Strawberry/DiNucci, check, check and check.

But no bikes actually built by Andy that fit me yet, or by Dinucci on his own.

So with 9 total combined from the 3, I still have a couple to go.
Old 11-24-21, 02:02 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
Well I'm a sucker for red, white, and blue bikes. So for one I want another one of the Raleigh Team USA bikes in my size and in great shape like I had. This time around I go stupid and put really good parts on it.

Needs great paint and to be a 55/56cm.

​​​​
I'd also love one of the Gianni Motta's painted in the U.S. flag scheme. There was a 57cm one local a few years ago but I need one to fit me.

Old 11-24-21, 02:55 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Gray fade Schwinn Prologue.
Purple slime PDG Paramount.
Panasonic DX-5000.
Dinucci designed early '90s Allez.

All 60 to 62cm.

Brent
If you were more local, and this thread was a month ago, you would have had your 2nd wish. Frame has been stripped, and components used to replace lesser ones on my other rides.
Tim

92 Series 5, 60cm
Old 11-24-21, 03:12 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 643 Posts
at some point we get our hands on something that ends the quest for the ultimate. I've been a watch collector for years, and when I got one particular watch, it ended my collecting.

The same can be said about bikes. When you get the one that really does it for you, the quest is over. In my case it's the Dinucci. There's nothing like it. Not so much about obsessive lug filing and details, it's about how it makes you feel when you ride it. I still ride other bikes, but the Dinucci has scratched the itch. I'm done.

/markp

Likes For mpetry912:
Old 11-24-21, 03:12 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
A 65cm quality early 80s road frame that is in good cosmetic condition. Haven't come across one I would want to keep and hang period correct components.

Next- a bike from Jeff Bock. My main road frame was built in one of his classes where he did some of the brazing, but it'd be cool to have one fully made by him. The guy is an artist.
Is this one big enough?

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/d...412222905.html
Old 11-24-21, 03:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Wow, yeah something like that. A heck of a deal.
Old 11-24-21, 03:43 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 512 Posts
International and/or Super Course, Peugeot PA60 in the olive color (attainability in the states debatable), A 70's or 80's sport touring Trek.

As for classic but not vintage? A Brian Chapman.

Brian Chapman

​​​​​​​PA60

Last edited by polymorphself; 11-24-21 at 03:49 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.