Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

at one time, killing people with your car was illegal

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

at one time, killing people with your car was illegal

Old 05-03-12, 09:43 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by hagen2456
Basically, when driving at night, you should be prepared for ninja cyclists. A lot of drivers aren't, of course.
Riding in the middle of the outside lane on a freeway, dark stormy winter night,.......... not so much,......... as this was the case of our last ninja cyclist fatality.
Old 05-04-12, 03:35 AM
hagen2456

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
Riding in the middle of the outside lane on a freeway, dark stormy winter night,.......... not so much,......... as this was the case of our last ninja cyclist fatality.
Might have been a 400-600 pound elk, in which case both elk and driver would have been f*****. What I'm trying to say is that on a dark stormy winter night you should - as always - drive in such a manner as to be able to do it safely, for yourself as well as others. I'm aware that most of us don't, including myself when I've been driving under such conditions in the past, but that doesn't change the principle of the matter

Last edited by hagen2456; 05-04-12 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-04-12, 07:51 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by hagen2456
Might have been a 400-600 pound elk, in which case both elk and driver would have been f*****. What I'm trying to say is that on a dark stormy winter night you should - as always - drive in such a manner as to be able to do it safely, for yourself as well as others. I'm aware that most of us don't, including myself when I've been driving under such conditions in the past, but that doesn't change the principle of the matter

Here the elk weigh 1200 to 1500 lbs, and light colored, making for a much bigger visual signature than a cyclist in dark clothing with no lights and with one very small red reflector. According to the media reports, the motorists that consecutively hit the cyclist were traveling well under the posted speed limit.
Old 05-05-12, 02:11 PM
WPeabody 

Bikes: Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
As you know, the speed limit doesn't apply to adverse driving conditions, and the media has been known to be wrong about a number of things.
That said, I've driven at 2 am in fog so bad you couldn't even see the road, going 15-20 in a 35 zone on a winding, two lane country road, narrowly missing hitting a buck, only to have somebody nearly rear-end me, swerve past narrowly missing the buck I narrowly missed, and go roaring off. Sorry, but that person who was probably going at the speed limit was a complete moron.
Old 05-06-12, 08:52 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by WPeabody
As you know, the speed limit doesn't apply to adverse driving conditions, and the media has been known to be wrong about a number of things......
Whether if the media get's it right or wrong, the bottom line is that none of the motorists that hit the cyclist, in the incident that I described, were ticketed or charged with any criminal offenses.
Old 11-27-21, 09:58 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by WPeabody
What's weird is that when I first started driving a car, my weight started going up, and I became more stupid. Like it was more difficult to stay on task and think while driving. The newer cars make you even more so. Riding a bike wakes me up, makes me more aware of my surroundings and puts in in a much better mood.
While cars are quite useful for certain situations, I'm beginning to think they are an invention of the devil.
when you think about the war aspect of War For Oil.
​​​its not far fetced on the evil part.
Likes For rossiny:
Old 11-28-21, 09:04 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The huge problem is that all over the country the DAs seem to look at anyone on a bike as fair game, and refuse to prosecute the killers in the cars.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 11-28-21, 10:25 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
https://www.azcentral.com/12news/news...awareness.html

"Shawn McCarty was riding ... when an SUV hit him in the bike lane, causing him to fly into the air about 30 feet and land on a sidewalk about 20 feet from his bike. The cyclist,.. was dead an hour later. The driver of the black Chevrolet Tahoe, Amy Sue Alexander, was cited for unsafe passing of a bicycle and driving in the bicycle lane. For the two tickets, Alexander, 41, paid a fine of $420 in Scottsdale City Court. ... two civil charges were all that the law would allow, a Scottsdale police spokesman said."

https://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...ties-road.html
and another slap on the wrist-DUI driver no less; https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...onths-in-jail/
Old 11-28-21, 02:34 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,791 Times in 3,305 Posts
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-06-22, 09:05 AM
EZgears

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We use cars because so far, everything else is worse. Public transport is full of weirdos jerking off in front of women, robbing people etc, might as well ride on a jail bus. Bikes are awesome but obviously not fast enough to take you real distances that are required , lack hauling capacity and are only for those healthy enough to ride them. Had we some kind of public transport where people could have their own private coach it would eliminate the whole issue of criminal behavior. You sill couldn't just take a thing like a string of beads on a rail or riding on a road and drive it to the supermarket to load it up with what you need though. In rural arias cars aren't that much of a big deal. It's not like in LA where you do the ride of death at 70+ mph 4 cars wide in a line stretching for 30 miles or more. That's a problem. I guess we could order what we need and have a drone drop it off but it wouldn't be long before we notice that every now and then a drone drops out of the sky and injures or kills someone. It could be that the answer is organized neighborhoods with everything right there but people still want their favorite clothing or food item or restaurant and you're not going to be able to put that in place too easy. Another solution could be just placing cars on a rail system to move them from place to place in cities so that there wouldn't be freeways , only streets in arias for shopping etc, then back on the train or what ever it is to go across town. With cars buttoned up on a rail system they'd be out of the way and we'd be free to walk and bike and look at the sun the sky the trash everywhere, the used needles the mentally ill people we call "homeless" so we don't have to help them beyond giving the loose change now and then. The gangs on the street corner, the bullets whizzing by.
Likes For EZgears: