Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Someone needs to post a poll……

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-21, 08:34 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

It’s probably just my perception but it seems there are a lot more folks 60+ posting than 50-55-60. It would be interesting to see the distribution of ages in 5 year blocks, 50-55, 55-60 and on up. Heck maybe the admins even have that information. Maybe it could be of some value in evaluating the direction of the forum????

It just seems in the days of the Diablo’s, Digital Gee, BillyDonn, Stapfam etc. there were more “youngsters” than our more mature members. Just based on population numbers you’d think the bulk might be under 60 but who knows. I do know that I seem to be progressing through all the age groups!!!

I’m not sure if there’s any interest or heck, in today’s sensitive environment maybe it violates way too many rights!!! Maybe I just need to go ride????
Old 10-18-21, 09:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Probably goes in cycles. Not a pun either. Maybe you got in at a time when there were the most 50 year old's that moved into this sub-forum. And there fore even with normal attrition rates there are still more of you here.

Or am I misunderstanding...
Old 10-18-21, 10:21 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
I don't know what cycling groups there are on Farcebook, but that has sure killed forums for other hobbies. It's the younger folks flocking there.

And it could just be denial of the sub-60 folks on BF that they're really aging. I'm 58 but sure don't feel it. Most of the time.
Old 10-18-21, 12:16 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I think of the 50+ forum as the "not as young as I used to be" forum.

Given the way the powers that be have started fracturing groups to more and more forums, I'd hate to lose the "not so young" group to make up more forums. "Do I need to post question X in the early 60s or late 60s forum? Or might there be more of a response from the early 70s forum?"
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-18-21, 03:26 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
It’s probably just my perception but it seems there are a lot more folks 60+ posting than 50-55-60. It would be interesting to see the distribution of ages in 5 year blocks, 50-55, 55-60 and on up. Heck maybe the admins even have that information. Maybe it could be of some value in evaluating the direction of the forum????

It just seems in the days of the Diablo’s, Digital Gee, BillyDonn, Stapfam etc. there were more “youngsters” than our more mature members. Just based on population numbers you’d think the bulk might be under 60 but who knows. I do know that I seem to be progressing through all the age groups!!!

I’m not sure if there’s any interest or heck, in today’s sensitive environment maybe it violates way too many rights!!! Maybe I just need to go ride????
Stapfam got cancer, now involved with VW caravans. Billydonn died. Digitalgee moved to Reno and tried to get back into cycling, but seems to have failed. I admin a thriving FB group of 65-100+, and there is a new thriving FB group of 80+. Dan left this forum and started a 50+ FB group with over 30,000 members. Along the way there have been many conflicts with mods which detracted from the group, which is partly why Twospoke was started.

Last edited by gobicycling; 10-18-21 at 04:33 PM.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 10-18-21, 04:17 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Long time member who has been mostly a lurker. Sixteen plus years and my post count is in The 160s. I have spent a heck of lot of time reading here.
I built fitness on the bike and rode long distances. Never got real fast but fast enough to make centuries and week long tours doable.
I recognize all the names mentioned.
I remain fit and feel I could still easily train my way back up to century rides but don’t have that much desire.
I will remain here and read some posts most every day, am heading towards 71 years.I have learned a lot here so far.
Old 10-18-21, 04:31 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I'll be 60 in January.
Old 10-18-21, 06:18 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
I'm closer to 80 than 70.
Old 10-18-21, 08:17 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
58 in February myself.
I do not care much for FB.
Old 10-18-21, 08:39 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
76. I'm a member of what was a very active real life road cycling group. We'd get 50 riders sometimes, had to split it into subgroups by climbing speed. We had a sorting hill. Now I'm one of the few remaining members who shows up. There are about 130 riders on the email list but they don't unsubscribe, just don't ride. I think it's kinda like that. People move on. And as others have said, the lower end of this group (in age) gets sucked up by FB. We are living in an anachronism.
Old 10-18-21, 09:54 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
Stapfam got cancer, now involved with VW caravans. Billydonn died. Digitalgee moved to Reno and tried to get back into cycling, but seems to have failed. I admin a thriving FB group of 65-100+, and there is a new thriving FB group of 80+. Dan left this forum and started a 50+ FB group with over 30,000 members. Along the way there have been many conflicts with mods which detracted from the group, which is partly why Twospoke was started.
sad to hear about those 3... BF seems to perform it's function reasonably well... and it's very specific...
I very much dislike FB, because of all the ancillary BS stuck into the things you might possibly have interest in. CHronological is only important when there is specific subject/content.
Random Chrono stuff is just too unconnected - I know there are 'threads' for posts, but not as scan-able as in a forum list.
I like having the separate forums of BF - makes an easy transition from one area to another.
I do 'dip' in and out of BF, but that is often determined by 'life', sometimes by focus on the real world. But time here is more entertaining, more informative than than most US news broadcasts... LOL!
As long as many of you still show up, I'll prolly do the same...
Started here in 2005 ??? I think... at age 56, now 72. We'll see how long the run becomes...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 10-19-21, 02:52 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
sad to hear about those 3... BF seems to perform it's function reasonably well... and it's very specific...
I very much dislike FB, because of all the ancillary BS stuck into the things you might possibly have interest in. CHronological is only important when there is specific subject/content.
Random Chrono stuff is just too unconnected - I know there are 'threads' for posts, but not as scan-able as in a forum list.
I like having the separate forums of BF - makes an easy transition from one area to another.
I do 'dip' in and out of BF, but that is often determined by 'life', sometimes by focus on the real world. But time here is more entertaining, more informative than than most US news broadcasts... LOL!
As long as many of you still show up, I'll prolly do the same...
Started here in 2005 ??? I think... at age 56, now 72. We'll see how long the run becomes...
Ride On
Yuri
Very similar here, late 2004 and age 52. There was a stretch there where 50+ was really entertaining!!!

I was able to attend the inaugural 50+ ride in Glenwood Springs and have ridden with several whom I’ve met here. Also, several were real lifesavers on my cross country ride. Especially Jim Foster getting me through Boston and Doug in Oregon giving me the idea of using Route 20.
Old 10-19-21, 07:45 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Very similar here, late 2004 and age 52. There was a stretch there where 50+ was really entertaining!!!

I was able to attend the inaugural 50+ ride in Glenwood Springs and have ridden with several whom I’ve met here. Also, several were real lifesavers on my cross country ride. Especially Jim Foster getting me through Boston and Doug in Oregon giving me the idea of using Route 20.
I was at that 50 plus inaugural ride in Glenwood. Complaints to the mods shut down the entertaining conversations in the 50 plus years ago.
Old 10-19-21, 08:28 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
There is only two facebook cycling groups that I really look at. One of them is Cycling Past Fifty and I think one of the admins is a BF member that posts in the Classic and Vintage forum a bit. I like it because it isn't an endless stream of people trying to sell their bikes and gear. Either it is well moderated with posts downing e-bikes and recumbents removed or the membership just doesn't post those sorts of things. What I see mostly there is folks over 50 enjoying bikes.

But for the most part I like BF for most things. BF is divided up into enough sub-forums that one doesn't have to wade through things that may not particularly interest them. I would suppose younger cyclists would feel the same about BF as me in that regard.

Old 10-19-21, 10:01 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

Why don’t you post a poll?
Old 10-20-21, 11:18 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
70 yo.
Nearly a 17 year member here.
Was on Bicycling forum before that.
roadbikereview dot com has disintegrated (as a Forum)
not a FacePlanter. Ever.
CR isn’t me or my aspiration. But respect is due.
thepaceline never caught on with me.
theCabe is a bit too focused on cycles I could never ride from my mountain house.

Things change over time.
It’s the reality of Life.
Hang on, Move on = eternal questions of Life.
I’m a BF hangeroner.
Love the colorful diversity of this place.

Clear your handlebars and your mind will follow.

edit: relative to 50+ = lots of BF members meet the age requirement, but rarely or never post. My guess is personal bandwidth limitation, more than age denial. But I’ve been wrong before.

I have met many PNW members, from whom I have benefitted.

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-20-21 at 11:33 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 10-20-21, 03:34 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
I need a 70+ jersey.

Old 10-21-21, 10:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts

`I will be happy to post a poll. I will borrow your first two sentences.

Old 10-22-21, 02:19 AM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I think of the 50+ forum as the "not as young as I used to be" forum.
Reminds me of that classic Mitch Hedberg observation that "every picture of you is when you were younger." RIP, Mitch.
Likes For Gonzo Bob:
Old 10-22-21, 02:49 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
63 for a few more weeks. Started back cycling in 2015, after joining here to ask a few questions because I hadn't ridden since the 1980s and bikes had changed just a bit.

At the time I intended only to get a folding bike for errands. Couldn't find one I liked locally so I started with a heavy comfort hybrid, which suited my busted up back and neck. That's now my occasional errand bike. Although a year ago I switched to mostly walking for grocery errands. Nothing like carrying 50 lbs of cat food and litter up to a mile to strengthen the core and legs without "exercising."

By 2016 I switched to a somewhat lighter, sportier hybrid, which I still like and ride for casual group rides. I converted that '93 Univega MTB-lite into a proper city bike and all-rounder.

By 2017 I was ready to try a road bike again, with an '89 Ironman. Took longer than I'd expected for my neck and back to adapt, but now it feels second nature again.

Each year I've added another older carbon fiber road bike. I like 'em. They're fun. But if I was forced to pare down I'd keep the Ironman and sell or give away the carbon fiber bikes. No mountains here so the weight savings doesn't translate to speed differences. Although they're lighter to lift and carry if I had to.

Eventually I might get that folding bike I intended to start with in 2015. But now I'd prefer a carbon fiber frame folder, since I'll use it for cyclocross. Friends keep trying to talk me into riding cross. And I threaten to run the entire course carrying the lightest bike I can carry. I still can't figure out the purpose of cyclocross. It's like parachuting for "fun." Why jump out of a perfectly good airplane... (says the guy who rappelled Aussie style face-down a dam for "fun" because the Marines I served with dared me to).
Old 10-22-21, 06:54 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I've been riding with a few breaks here and there since high school. I did a heck of a lot of riding in my 20s, racing, touring, and wrenching. I haven't raced in a long time and my tours now tend to be multi day, organized rides though Covid has complicated things. I still wrench on bikes and I like fixing up and riding the bikes I couldn't afford back in the day as they are all now on deep sale, : ). Maybe old bikes are slower than new bikes but then I'm slower than I used to be so it all comes out right in the end.

The weather is finally turning colder in Iowa. I like riding fat tire bikes once it gets colder. I like old MTBs as I start riding the local offroad trails this time of year. I like the new MTBs but the local trails aren't very technical so a rigid MTB with 26 x 2.0 tires is just fine.

1993 Bridgestone MB 1

1992 Stumpjumper
Old 10-23-21, 08:15 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Been here since back in ‘08, remember all the folks Joe mentioned. Know the alter-egos that still mean a lot to me as friends. Some are gone on to a better place, a few are dealing with serious health issues.

As Gobi said, a really grouchy member went to a passed Admin about us being “too friendly and familiar” with each other. Probably had to do more with his attitude and personality than our closeness as friends here. Worked with some long timers here on different projects, enjoyed every minute of it too, especially managing two 50-Plus group kit buys.

I tend to spend more time in the C&V Forum, just what interests me the most. But I have met up with folks from 50-Plus to ride, or have stop by our place to share a meal when they were in the USA for a bit (Hi Rowan and Machka &#128513! The place is a fantastic group, mostly, just like real world can be.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 10-25-21, 01:00 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
53 years young and been a member for a little more than a year. I think like most things, interest groups are cyclical and come and go like the fashion. I am not new to cycling but used to just think it was about riding my bike but never really drank the Koolaid until a few years ago. Once I started to want to learn more about the history of my old high school bike and fix it up, the forums became really important to me. Then it spread to every other aspect of cycling like what to wear, what to eat, why does this body part ache, etc....

This group is great and I hope it stays. i came here because I hate getting cynical or arrogant answers to questions or comments from other forums with people that seem to think they know it all and mock those who don't. If you've been in the industry for 30+ years, share that with newer people who want to learn and keep the interest going! don't shut it down making someone feel dumb when they ask an obvious question.

Regarding age, 50, 55, 60? are they that different? Not really and once I reached 50 i started to think how much longer do I have left to keep cycling? I would have never thought people still cycle at 80 but I learnt that here in this forum. Cool.

Oh, and whenever I start to talk bikes with friends and family they all start rolling their eyes and walking away. Thankful for the forums
Likes For gthomson:
Old 10-25-21, 05:10 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Originally Posted by gthomson
53 years young and been a member for a little more than a year. I think like most things, interest groups are cyclical and come and go like the fashion. I am not new to cycling but used to just think it was about riding my bike but never really drank the Koolaid until a few years ago. Once I started to want to learn more about the history of my old high school bike and fix it up, the forums became really important to me. Then it spread to every other aspect of cycling like what to wear, what to eat, why does this body part ache, etc....

This group is great and I hope it stays. i came here because I hate getting cynical or arrogant answers to questions or comments from other forums with people that seem to think they know it all and mock those who don't. If you've been in the industry for 30+ years, share that with newer people who want to learn and keep the interest going! don't shut it down making someone feel dumb when they ask an obvious question.

Regarding age, 50, 55, 60? are they that different? Not really and once I reached 50 i started to think how much longer do I have left to keep cycling? I would have never thought people still cycle at 80 but I learnt that here in this forum. Cool.

Oh, and whenever I start to talk bikes with friends and family they all start rolling their eyes and walking away. Thankful for the forums
There may not be many differences between 50 and 60 years old, but I can guarantee there are differences between 60 and 85. My wife will be 84 in November, and she still rides a bicycle. I will be 82 in November and still ride. But I and she just don't have what we used to have. I started riding when I was 58 and in my inaugural year did several centuries and the Ride The Rockies. No way I could do that now, nor do I desire to!
Old 10-26-21, 06:50 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
There may not be many differences between 50 and 60 years old, but I can guarantee there are differences between 60 and 85. My wife will be 84 in November, and she still rides a bicycle. I will be 82 in November and still ride. But I and she just don't have what we used to have. I started riding when I was 58 and in my inaugural year did several centuries and the Ride The Rockies. No way I could do that now, nor do I desire to!
Won't disagree with you there and that's why I stopped at 60. Kudos to you and your wife for keeping it up. Inspiration for us to try and get there too. I want to be able to still ride at your age but only the maker will determine that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.