Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-21, 06:12 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
So much has happened/changed in my life. I've been wanting to write about it here but I kept putting it off.
First my now 7 year old daughter is now officially in school (1st grade). 2nd RT isn't on BF anymore and took a lot of my motivation with him. 3rd I finally paid off my house, So no more morgage payments! 4th I'm as happy as I am lucky and my wife and I are doing well.
So now back to some of my Ironman stories.
I've started riding with a friend of mine from yesteryear. A good guy named Mike. Mike has always enjoyed riding. He had been casually riding a new mtb he got online. So a relative of his gave him a junker road bike, however he couldn't get it going well. That's where I come in. His brother (whom I'm even closer to) told him to take it to me to fix. He did and I did. I asked if he wanted to ride with me and we started riding on our version of a MUP, our River Walk. It's Been fun and quite an experience. The guy now has 7 or 8 bikes now! But none of them an Ironman....yet.
One thing Mike notices, is that when we coast down hill, with no pedaling, and starting at the same time, I always, always, go faster. Him on his trek and me and on anyone of my 5 Ironman I beat him. He's now convinced it's gotta be the Ironman and I tell him no different. So I'm now looking for an Ironman to talk him into BUT have yet to find one in his size. Oh It's gonna happen 😀.
Later Ironkids.
Glad to see life's working out for you. What size IM will the friend of yours need? What color combo would not work out?
Old 10-20-21, 06:28 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Glad you kept that beauty. Those color combos should have been the Miami Vice.
It should have been. Never too late to change. You just have to find a snazzy name for the Fuchsia/Maze. I can submit the name changes to the IM Godfather for approval.

It's almost back to bike riding time for me. I got the first leg of the 26.2 trifecta done on the 9th. The wife and I gutted out the Boston Virtual so she/we could get the swag. 2nd leg is this Saturday, the MCM, which went virtual also. Final leg will be November 13th, the Richmond. It's still live/in person at the moment.

Last edited by seypat; 10-20-21 at 06:39 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-20-21, 06:39 AM
seypat

Question for the IM Nation. The Red/White beater is being built up as a loaner to a deserving person interested in getting into cycling/tri. I have 7 speed Microshift brifters I was maybe going to use on the Prestige with a different wheelset. But maybe it should stay original and I just change out the rims to clinchers instead. Anyway, the person has not cycled before. The rear hub is a freewheel, not a freehub. 6 speed/DT shifters vs 7 speed/ brifters. What say ye? I think the brifters combo would make the learning curve easier and keep him interested. The DT combo might frustrate him early on. The crank would be a 52/36 with a 13-something on the back.
Old 10-20-21, 07:55 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Question for the IM Nation. The Red/White beater is being built up as a loaner to a deserving person interested in getting into cycling/tri. I have 7 speed Microshift brifters I was maybe going to use on the Prestige with a different wheelset. But maybe it should stay original and I just change out the rims to clinchers instead. Anyway, the person has not cycled before. The rear hub is a freewheel, not a freehub. 6 speed/DT shifters vs 7 speed/ brifters. What say ye? I think the brifters combo would make the learning curve easier and keep him interested. The DT combo might frustrate him early on. The crank would be a 52/36 with a 13-something on the back.
Yep, I'd go with the brifters.
Regarding IM sizing, I agree and sight measure using head tube/ pump peg location as guide. However, the '85 Ironman are a bit different and I'd suggest measuring seat tube as we would normally do on other bikes.
My buddy Mike rides the same size as I do a 54cm but likes the feel of a bigger (56cm) bike better. There was one on CL for fair market price but he's not digging the loud color schemes. Also note he's not getting any of mine. In fact I need more.
Old 10-20-21, 09:53 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Anyway, the person has not cycled before. The rear hub is a freewheel, not a freehub. 6 speed/DT shifters vs 7 speed/ brifters. What say ye? I think the brifters combo would make the learning curve easier and keep him interested. The DT combo might frustrate him early on. The crank would be a 52/36 with a 13-something on the back.
7 speed/brifters is much better. More importantly- replace the brake calipers with dual pivot calipers.
Old 10-20-21, 12:11 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Agreed the 7 speed Brifters will be easier to learn.
Old 10-20-21, 01:22 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
7 speed/brifters is much better. More importantly- replace the brake calipers with dual pivot calipers.
Good idea on the calipers.
Old 10-21-21, 10:01 AM
seypat

It should have been. Never too late to change. You just have to find a snazzy name for the Fuchsia/Maze. I can submit the name changes to the IM Godfather for approval.

It's almost back to bike riding time for me. I got the first leg of the 26.2 trifecta done on the 9th. The wife and I gutted out the Boston Virtual so she/we could get the swag. 2nd leg is this Saturday, the MCM, which went virtual also. Final leg will be November 13th, the Richmond. It's still live/in person at the moment.
If the name change is something iconic from 1987, here's a list of movie titles from that year that might work.

https://www.the-numbers.com/market/1...rossing-movies

Some I'm digging would be: Fatal Attraction, The Untouchable, Lethal Weapon, Predator, Robocop, The Running Man and the Lost Boy.

My favorite would be The Running Man since it is/was a Tri bike. Also feeling Lethal Weapon. What say ye?

Too bad the movie Less Than Zero came out in 1987. That'd be a good nickname for the 86 red/white that matches the Corvette in the movie. Robocop would also be a good name for the 85 silver/charcoal.

Last edited by seypat; 10-21-21 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-21-21, 10:14 AM
seypat

When I think of The Running Man, this is always the first thing that comes to mind:

Followed by this:

Old 10-21-21, 11:48 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Miami Vice was (mostly) a TV show.
Maybe Hawaii Five-0?
Old 10-21-21, 12:48 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
I'm in for Fatal Attraction .
OK shifting gears , ah hem . Not mine , and I don't know the owner , and it's not a 56 . Back in the day a friend of mine (a extremists weight weenie) would say that he rides smaller than his size frame because it's lighter . That kind of got me thinking about this bike but no way man , that would be a fatal attraction . I just sold the Bianchi and now the 86' IM is in the house .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15466156576...IAAOSw1YhhcJH-

Last edited by markwesti; 10-21-21 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-21-21, 12:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
...I have 7 speed Microshift brifters I was maybe going to use on the Prestige with a different wheelset.
I've used MicroShift R7 brifters for a couple of years, including on an older wheelset with 7-speed SunRace (not Suntour) freewheel, the MFR30 or MFM30 I post about so much. Worked fine.

I've never tried the original Suntour Alpha 7-speed 13-24 or 13-26 freewheels with those MicroShift brifters. I suspect there would be problems with at least one shift, probably in the middle cogs. Any slight spacing difference between the Suntour and SunRace is compensated for by the slicker chromed finish on the SunRace and far superior beveled/chamfered teeth designed to ease index shifting setups. The squared off teeth on the Suntour cogs seems to cause hangups on some shifts in the middle cogs.

But maybe it should stay original and I just change out the rims to clinchers instead.
I've never owned a bike with tubs. But I can't imagine they'd offer any advantages for my riding over good clinchers. Even some pro teams or riders have switched to clinchers, at least for some stages or races. I suspect the old school folks who say tubs are safer in the event of a flat on a curvy downhill run will stick with tubs.

The crank would be a 52/36 with a 13-something on the back.
With a 130 BCD spider you can fit a 38T small chainring. I'm using the Vuelta 38T on my Ironman, and also have Vuelta's 39 and 50 chainrings. They're good. They also *were* the best values before the casserole crises of the pandemic, shipping and economic problems, not all of which are directly connected. Anyway, Vuelta chainring prices have nearly doubled, but are still good values. I usually put things in my Amazon cart and wait for a price drop. Or I scrounge through the Amazon Warehouse section online for stuff advertised as "shopworn" etc. I got one of those Vuelta chainrings for around $10 that way. It was advertised as "damaged packaging." It was in the original plastic baggie with foldover thin cardboard hanging stock. There might have been a slight scuff on the cardboard and a few dimples in the plastic baggie. The chainring itself was perfect.

To go smaller than 38T you'd need a different spider for 110. Most I've seen from that era -- 1980s-'90s -- come from mountain bikes and often are triples that might need some fiddling with the tapered spindle, spacing and Q factor.

We don't have any mountains here so I've never needed smaller than 38 or 39 on my road bikes. A 38T chainring and 28T big cog on the freewheel or cassette has always been good enough even when my legs are dead. Currently my 2014 Diamondback Podium carbon fiber road bike has a Shimano 12-21 cassette and even with the 39T small chainring it's been fine as long as I pace myself. It just requires a bit more mashing than spinning, but my legs are stronger now after a year of jogging and walking about 5 miles three times a week, including hills. I've noticed my aerobic capacity has dwindled so spinning at 90 rpm now in something like a 38 chainring and 28 rear cog taxes my lungs more without any advantage in speed. I'm getting more comfortable with mashing slower cadences in most circumstances.

I do have 28T small chainring on my 35 lb comfort hybrid, and 30T on my early '90s Univega hybrid, which weighs 30 lbs and often lugs groceries and whatever home up a short steep climb from Kroger. Those have been plenty with 28 and 32 rear big cogs, even when I'm slogging uphill with 50 lbs of cat litter and food strapped to the rear rack.

Last edited by canklecat; 10-21-21 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-21-21, 02:10 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by markwesti
I'm in for Fatal Attraction .
OK shifting gears , ah hem . Not mine , and I don't know the owner , and it's not a 56 . Back in the day a friend of mine (a extremists weight weenie) would say that he rides smaller than his size frame because it's lighter . That kind of got me thinking about this bike but no way man , that would be a fatal attraction . I just sold the Bianchi and now the 86' IM is in the house .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15466156576...IAAOSw1YhhcJH-
50 or 52? I'm wondering at what size the pump peg begins.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-21-21, 02:11 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by rccardr
Miami Vice was (mostly) a TV show.
Maybe Hawaii Five-0?
I like it. You could say, "Book em, Danno" when you pass someone.

Not many out there as cool as Jack Lord/Steve McGarrett. Maybe Steve McQueen. Or Philo Beto and
Clyde.

Last edited by seypat; 10-21-21 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-21-21, 02:36 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by canklecat
I've used MicroShift R7 brifters for a couple of years, including on an older wheelset with 7-speed SunRace (not Suntour) freewheel, the MFR30 or MFM30 I post about so much. Worked fine.

I've never tried the original Suntour Alpha 7-speed 13-24 or 13-26 freewheels with those MicroShift brifters. I suspect there would be problems with at least one shift, probably in the middle cogs. Any slight spacing difference between the Suntour and SunRace is compensated for by the slicker chromed finish on the SunRace and far superior beveled/chamfered teeth designed to ease index shifting setups. The squared off teeth on the Suntour cogs seems to cause hangups on some shifts in the middle cogs.

I've never owned a bike with tubs. But I can't imagine they'd offer any advantages for my riding over good clinchers. Even some pro teams or riders have switched to clinchers, at least for some stages or races. I suspect the old school folks who say tubs are safer in the event of a flat on a curvy downhill run will stick with tubs.

With a 130 BCD spider you can fit a 38T small chainring. I'm using the Vuelta 38T on my Ironman, and also have Vuelta's 39 and 50 chainrings. They're good. They also *were* the best values before the casserole crises of the pandemic, shipping and economic problems, not all of which are directly connected. Anyway, Vuelta chainring prices have nearly doubled, but are still good values. I usually put things in my Amazon cart and wait for a price drop. Or I scrounge through the Amazon Warehouse section online for stuff advertised as "shopworn" etc. I got one of those Vuelta chainrings for around $10 that way. It was advertised as "damaged packaging." It was in the original plastic baggie with foldover thin cardboard hanging stock. There might have been a slight scuff on the cardboard and a few dimples in the plastic baggie. The chainring itself was perfect.

To go smaller than 38T you'd need a different spider for 110. Most I've seen from that era -- 1980s-'90s -- come from mountain bikes and often are triples that might need some fiddling with the tapered spindle, spacing and Q factor.

I like the Microshift 9 speed I put on the black Turbo. It's paired with a SRAM chain/cassette and Stronglight chainrings. I have short fingers. The throw of the brake levers on Shimano brifters is too long. Unless I extend my hand and exaggerate the shift, the brake lever rolls over the end of my fingers like a cam.

I have a set of Mavic MA40 on another wheelset that are the clincher version of the GP-4 tubs. I might switch the rims out. Or, I might find a set of these in the hard anodized version. The ERD is about the same. They look pricey, though.

https://www.araya-usa.com/700crims/tx-733-700c

I put a 110/74 on it and will run as a double.
Old 10-21-21, 03:00 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
That little MV is in Fantastic shape.
Old 10-22-21, 08:59 PM
texaspandj

50 or 52? I'm wondering at what size the pump peg begins.
That's a 50cm. Pump pegs start at 54cm.
My wife has a 50cm Ironman. I have one 52cm Ironman. My other 4 are 54cm.
Old 10-22-21, 09:58 PM
texaspandj

I've mentioned my new biking buddy Mike.
I met Mike when I was 14 and he was 10. His oldest brother is one of my karate instructors and that's when I met him. He was 3 belts ahead of me when I started my martial arts training in 1977. At that age he used to have some amazing sparring matches with another kid about his age and one belt higher ranked than him. They would throw dynamic spinning kicks, jumping kicks and jump spinning kicks.Anyways him and his other 4 brothers are natural born fighters.
In my place of business I have 4 rooms and 1 hallway. I have a Bruce Lee poster (from 1976) in each one of the rooms including the hallway. Bruce Lee was and remains an idol and hero for me. He's Iconic for sure. There's a movie or documentary called how Bruce Lee changed the world and it's really worth watching. (I'll get back to this).
Mike loves riding and has found joy in riding like he did as a kid. On sidewalks, no hands, riding willies, jumping curbs. However, I've gradually introduced him to regular road riding andi luckily he's kept his joy for riding. So on his 2nd or 3rd time riding his longest ride with me (18 Miles) we started talking about Bruce Lee. I was telling him about how Bruce Lee affectedly steered me to martial arts and affected everything in my life, including riding with him right at this moment. I should probably insert in this paragraph that I was never bullied or bullied others, I simply wanted to be a bad ass like Bruce. Anyways, after all my explanation of Bruce Lee's affect on me and the Whole World, he says, yeah Bruce Lee was Cool but you know I'd kick Bruce Lee's ass. WHAT!??
So as you can imagine that didn't set well with me. At this point we're nearing the at 9 mile turnaround, me on my beautiful '89 cobalt blue fade Ironman and him on his '88 blue aluminum trek road bike...that I tuned. So at the turnaround, I start speeding up, I know I can drop him anytime but I want him to suffer. So I keep speeding up gradually making him keep up with me til I decide he's hurting then I POUR IT ON. There's no way he's gonna keep up with me and he Doesn't. I keep a high pace fueled by anger (kinda like a triathlon but because of weak swim) and after about a mile I pull over and wait. We don't say anything to each other for a while then we start talking again, But Not About Bruce.
Here's the rest of the story. We're about 2 Miles from finishing when we decide to take a little portion of the river walk (MUP). When he brings up Bruce again...then it happens. He veers on to the grass and as he attempts to get on sidewalk his front tire gets caught between soft dirt and sidewalk. He goes flying over handle bars, SMACK! head first into sidewalk. Mike actually has good bike handling skills, better than me, but because of that, he thinks he can get out of the crash and never lets go of the handlebars to break his fall with his hands like most people would. Fortunately he was wearing a helmet and has a hard head from boxing as a professional earlier in life.
We laugh about it now, but the kicker is he's almost crashed 2 more times that he's mentioned the name Bruce which he now refuses to say.
I must say this in closing, the best way to describe Mike is, He's a Good guy...he really is.
​​​​​​

Last edited by texaspandj; 10-23-21 at 04:50 AM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 10-23-21, 05:22 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
texaspandj , as you know my background was in amateur boxing. So I understand those passionate arguments about fighters -- and usually ignore the bragging some folks indulge in. They've probably taken a few hard knocks to the noggin, without a helmet.

In my teens I had the opportunity to spar with some future world pro champs from my town, so I learned my limitations pretty quickly.

I was skeptical about Bruce Lee's abilities until YouTube came along and I saw that one video of him sparring with real contact (but an exhibition, not an all-out fight). That was enough to convince me he could have been a world class boxer or kickboxer. He had the moves, reflexes, timing, accuracy and defensive instincts of a young prime Floyd Mayweather Jr, Vasily Lomachenko, or Naoya Inoue. Lee had the full package of skills if he'd gone that direction.

Muay Thai and MMA are a whole nuther skillset. I haven't seen enough of Bruce Lee's moves to know how he'd do with grappling, etc., but I'd bet he could have mastered those skills too. I could picture him being an early version of Lerdsila or Saenchai, the most phenomenal Muay Thai artists I've seen.
Old 10-23-21, 09:17 AM
texaspandj

In the 1960s, Bruce Lee hurt his back while lifting weights. He had to be in traction for a few months. During this time he wrote a book with illustrations (by him) and it shows an arm lock and various other grappling moves. He was also heavely criticized in the martial arts community for promoting mixing styles. His philosophy of using any style to defeat your opponent is why he is considered the Father of MMA.
Also here's my '89 Ironman in the rare cobalt blue marble fade.

Last edited by texaspandj; 10-23-21 at 09:53 AM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 10-23-21, 09:22 AM
texaspandj

Doh!
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 10-23-21, 10:50 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Some I'm digging would be: Fatal Attraction, The Untouchable, Lethal Weapon, Predator, Robocop, The Running Man and the Lost Boy.
With the turquoise-ish color in the middle, maybe Raising Arizona.
Robocop would also be a good name for the 85 silver/charcoal.
Or 6000SUX.
Old 10-24-21, 06:19 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
Not mine and I don't know the owner . Friendly price on a 86' Ironman . I think it's a 56 , seller says 56 and 54 . Interesting thing , it has 27" wheels .
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...392804067.html
Old 10-25-21, 09:41 AM
dbhouston 

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Spirit + 2018 Specialized Diverge + 1974 Raleigh Competition + 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 95 Posts
Someone on here was looking for a 56 in Oklahoma? Here's what looks to be a bit taller, but at quite a steal: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1411442830714/

Looks like it may all be there, too.
Old 10-25-21, 08:14 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by dbhouston
Someone on here was looking for a 56 in Oklahoma? Here's what looks to be a bit taller, but at quite a steal: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1411442830714/

Looks like it may all be there, too.
Oh those '87 Masters are the shizzle.

I've come to the point that if a Ironman is within a 100 miles from me and the price is a 100, I'm getting it. I'll hold it and pass it in to others in need...of an Ironman.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.