Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cooler weather upper body riding attire recomendations?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 10-23-21, 10:18 AM
geepondy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Looking for some cooler weather upper body apparel recommendations, jerseys and possibly shells for weather roughly in the 40-55 degree F range. Did some cooler riding last year for the first time in a long time, and unlike running, found the clothes selection to be a trickier process. If I picked something that I felt comfortable with on flats or hill climbing, my core would freeze on downhill descents. Picking something warm enough on the downhill descents would cause me to feel excessively warm on hill ascents. Granted the clothes I had on hand weren't particularly high tech, an old long sleeve run of the mill jersey and a regular windbreaker jacket for example. Is there some combination of apparel tech that will provide reasonable comfort in these conditions? I'd rather be a little warm then a little cold. Once it gets below 40 degrees or so or about the time my face feels really cold, I'm done for the year. Likewise I'm not worried about my lower body. My legs don't get as cold and a pair of full leg bicycle pants is fine. Whatever the outer layer selection is, it needs to have a pocket to put in something to wipe my nose. Thanks for any thoughts.
Likes For geepondy:
Old 10-23-21, 10:43 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Those are pretty typical riding conditions here from Nov-Feb, and I swear by arm warmers and a good wind vest. It should have a windstopper front panel and a mesh or very breathable back, two-way zipper, and nice high collar. Bonus features are pockets and reflective bits.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-23-21, 03:24 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
40 F - 55 F isn't cold. It should be very easy to select proper clothing for these type of temps. Experiment and see what works best for your needs.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-23-21, 05:17 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4265 Post(s)
Liked 2,937 Times in 1,811 Posts
The ascent/descent balance for clothes is always a problem - you go from putting out a ton of heat and sweat to virtually none at all. I agree with caloso that wind-stopping power is the thing to focus on, but if you have really big hills to climb and descend, there's almost no ideal solution apart from taking a moment at the top to zip up something that was otherwise unzipped during the climb.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 10-23-21, 07:43 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
The dilemma presented itself two weeks ago, certainly too cold to go with just a windbreaker, so out came the older of my XC skiing jackets. Two side pockets and a large back pocket! Getting too hot ... open the zipper, too cold on the downhills... close the zipper. Full fingered cycling gloves and if they're not warm enough ... XC skiing gloves. But I hope it won't come to that i.e the snow will arrive soon enough to be skiing in 2 - 3 weeks — like last year.

Old 10-25-21, 01:57 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
In that temp range I wear my windproof jacket and long sleeve wool jersey underneath. When I warm up I just unzip the jacket halfway. My jacket is a convertible so I can remove the sleeves if needed and it becomes a vest.

Highly recommend convertible jackets for rides when you start out cold but warm up.
Old 10-26-21, 07:05 AM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
I wear a homemade chest protector (i.e. nothing in the back), works great on downhill descents.
Old 10-26-21, 04:25 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
if you don't like the weather, wait a minute. every season I panic a little that I can't find something specific. but then the conditions change & I'm chasing the next apparel combo from last year. this time of year I start to remind myself to limit the exposed skin. that goes a long way to stabilizing my equilibrium. multiple thin layers w/ adjustable venting are my friend. adjustable necks, either 1/4 zip or 1/2 zip & pit zips are features to look for. as conditions change I add either a precip repellent outer or thermal mid layer. or both. but the latter riding condition is so severe, it is few & far between
Old 11-07-21, 07:25 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

reduce areas of exposed skin
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-10-21, 05:09 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
I wear a homemade chest protector (i.e. nothing in the back), works great on downhill descents.
Cool! I love it! Details please. Photos?
Old 11-15-21, 04:53 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by epnnf
Cool! I love it! Details please. Photos?
huh? what? somebody say DIY chest protector? Clint Eastwood in movie "Fistful of Dollars" (put this in the wrong thread yesterday before coffee, ugh)

& of course Marty McFly's tribute to Clint Eastwood in Back to the Future III

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-16-21 at 04:51 AM.