Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need help adjusting a seat

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-07-20, 11:49 PM
AquaXIII

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know this is a long shot but I have a vintage giant rs950 shimano and the other day I went to get my bike tuned up and the height of the seat was adjusted and now I can’t reach the pedals. I can provide pictures tomorrow. If anyone can help it would be great
Old 10-08-20, 12:08 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by AquaXIII
I know this is a long shot but I have a vintage giant rs950 shimano and the other day I went to get my bike tuned up and the height of the seat was adjusted and now I can’t reach the pedals. I can provide pictures tomorrow. If anyone can help it would be great
Looking at photos it looks like the seat post adjusts like any other? Is something stuck?
Old 10-08-20, 12:12 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 924 Posts
1. Grab an Allen/hex key of the appropriate size.
2. Undo the seat post clamp bolt - remember how many turns or half turns you make until the seat post is loose.
3. (optional) Put a smear of grease on the seat post just above where the seat post enters the frame.
4. Push the seat post down into the seat tube. Try not to twist it too much.
5. While ensuring the saddle is aligned with the frame, tighten seat post clamp bolt the same number of turns or half turns as you did to undo it.
6. Take it for a test ride.
7. Repeat steps 2-6 until desired saddle height is reached.
8. Remove IPA from fridge and reward yourself for a job well done.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 10-08-20, 05:40 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
1. Grab an Allen/hex key of the appropriate size.
2. Undo the seat post clamp bolt - remember how many turns or half turns you make until the seat post is loose.
3. (optional) Put a smear of grease on the seat post just above where the seat post enters the frame.
4. Push the seat post down into the seat tube. Try not to twist it too much.
5. While ensuring the saddle is aligned with the frame, tighten seat post clamp bolt the same number of turns or half turns as you did to undo it.
6. Take it for a test ride.
7. Repeat steps 2-6 until desired saddle height is reached.
8. Remove IPA from fridge and reward yourself for a job well done.
My guess is the OP won't have the appropriate wrench
Old 10-08-20, 07:16 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
^^^ If not a multi tool from Amazon will provide the hex wrenches and a be a good take along tool for rides, I like the Topeak ones. failing that a metric hex wrench set from the local hardware store does the trick
Old 10-08-20, 07:31 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Why not just go back to the shop and ask them to lower it? Although, if you have the tool, it’s pretty simple. And the correct height is rarely found without some trial and error.