Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Maine

Old 03-14-21, 08:10 PM
LisaG71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Maine

Is anyone else from Maine and where do you go for bike touring? I need to do some small rides first before heading to MD to visit my friend and to FL to visit other friends.

I don't understand why this is soo confusing!

I, UNFORTUNATLY live in ME
I am HOPEFULLY moving to MD and I want to trek between ME and MD once a year
I want to VISIT friends in FL from MD
first I need some shorter trips.... WHICH UNFORTUNATELY be in ME

Thanks in advance

Oh, I am in Stonington, me. ... Which is the worst place to ride a bike. It's narrow roads and ultra fast drivers will end someone's life eventually as bikers refuse to follow road rules.. whom think the are the only ones using the road.. seen this myself. I follow road rules to a T.. having ATVs to ride and snowmobiles following road rules are a must.

Last edited by LisaG71; 04-28-21 at 01:38 AM. Reason: because I wanted to.
Old 03-14-21, 10:24 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
The Northern Tier route from Adventure Cycling terminates in Bar Harbor. I rode that route from Seattle to Bar Harbor a few years ago, then rode to Stonington on what I thought were pretty good roads. From there I took the ferry to Isle au Haut, to visit some friends who lived out there. I was a little worried about the condition of some of the Maine roads, but I was also thankful for how careful the drivers seemed to be. I cycled less than a week in Maine.
Old 03-15-21, 03:10 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12171 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
When you say bike touring, do you mean traditional touring (tent, sleeping bag, stove) or lite touring (motels, B&B, restaurants).

What sort of mileage do you plan on doing?

You live close to Acadia, and there is a lot of good riding there. The perimeter road is scenic, and if you want some exercise ride up Cadillac. Make sure to stop at the Jordan Pond House after, they will be open in June. Have the lobster chowder and popovers.

You can also rent Mtn bikes, if you don't have any, and do the carriage trails.

You could also ride to Acadia, do some rides there, and then take the ferry over to Winter Harbor. From there you can ride most of the way home off Rte 1. There is a nice B&B in Cherryfield, the Englishman's B&B.

The Augusta area has some excellent training rides, quite hilly. The Maple Hill Farm is our favorite B&B and is just south of Augusta.

The North Conway, NH, area also has excellent training rides, really quite hilly.

https://www.amazon.com/25-Bicycle-To...5799189&sr=8-1
Old 03-15-21, 11:28 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
The Cross New Hampshire Adventure Trail (XNHAT) ends, or begins, in Bethel, ME. It follows old railway beds across the state to Woodsville, NH. It has a website with pictures, maps, cue sheets, and updates, such as closed bridges.
Also, IIRC, there is something called the Bold Coast Greenway, or similar.
Good luck.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 03-15-21, 12:24 PM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Once you decide to head South to MD, look into the Eastern Trail (Portland to Kittery) Warmshowers for places to stay
Likes For bktourer1:
Old 03-15-21, 01:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,289 Times in 7,228 Posts
What about the furry friend?
Old 04-21-21, 04:43 PM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by late
When you say bike touring, do you mean traditional touring (tent, sleeping bag, stove) or lite touring (motels, B&B, restaurants).

You live close to Acadia, and there is a lot of good riding there. The perimeter road is scenic, and if you want some exercise ride up Cadillac. Make sure to stop at the Jordan Pond House after, they will be open in June. Have the lobster chowder and popovers.

You could also ride to Acadia, do some rides there, and then take the ferry over to Winter Harbor. From there you can ride most of the way home off Rte 1. There is a nice B&B in Cherryfield, the Englishman's B&B.

The Augusta area has some excellent training rides, quite hilly. The Maple Hill Farm is our favorite B&B and is just south of Augusta.

The North Conway, NH, area also has excellent training rides, really quite hilly.

Sleeping bag, tent, food, stove, and dog. more than likely a trailer too. As I was told that my bike is not a touring (but it is listed as one on the Fuji website).
Old 04-21-21, 04:47 PM
LisaG71

Are there any trails connecting ME to MD?
Old 04-21-21, 04:53 PM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by indyfabz
What about the furry friend?
Yes, the dog (at least one out of the 3) will be going too.

One is going to be road worked to get ready to be shown, one (i am guessing) will only ride in the trailer . . she is a diva, heaven forbid I make her do ANYTHING outside (as a human she would be the I am not breaking a nail type), and my assistance dog, who will be with me on touring rides.
Once I am able to post photos, I will intro you to who is who.
Old 04-22-21, 10:28 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by LisaG71
Once I am able to post photos, I will intro you to who is who.
You now have more than enough forum posts to post photos.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-22-21 at 10:40 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-22-21, 02:38 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Look into the East Coast Greenway for ME to MD routing.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 04-23-21, 07:09 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by philbob57
Look into the East Coast Greenway for ME to MD routing.
The ECG in PA pretty much sucks, especially in Philly and south to DE. Part of it uses something that is called "Industrial Highway" for a good reason.

In any event, it doesn't sound like the OP is going to to this any time soon.
Old 04-24-21, 10:39 PM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The ECG in PA pretty much sucks, especially in Philly and south to DE. Part of it uses something that is called "Industrial Highway" for a good reason.

In any event, it doesn't sound like the OP is going to to this any time soon.

and why do you say that?
I am hoping to go touring BEFORE the semester begins again in August.

Last edited by LisaG71; 04-24-21 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-24-21, 10:52 PM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by late

Yes, actually I am very close to MDI. But, I am really not into lobster. I usually eat it twice a year! As far as going up the mountain . . . I don't like that road in a car, let alone bike it! WOW, scary!!! but, I will check out the carriage roads. If my ex-husband ever gets his lobster boat in the water and starts fishing on his own, I'll take a ride to winter harbor. the ferry is rather pricy. and more interesting and closer to go by boat from Stonington to winter harbor.

Milage? I don't know yet. It all depends on how my operative hip does. more just planning and seeing where I can go that I don't get run over by ATVs
Old 04-26-21, 07:16 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by LisaG71
and why do you say that?
Virtually all of the riding in Philadelphia is on-street with moderate to heavy city traffic a lot of the time. South of the city, riding through places like Eddystone, Chester and Marcus Hook is just plain not nice, Very industrial in many places with truck traffic. Nothing green about it.
Old 04-26-21, 07:31 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
TBH I am kind of confused with this thread.
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 04-26-21, 07:37 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
The OP stated "I need to do some small rides first before heading to MD to visit my friend and to FL to visit other friends.". Thus there's "touring" involved and seemed to indicate in the State of Maine, but there's also a road trip to Maryland and Florida, possibly some touring involved there ?, not clear.
Old 04-26-21, 08:11 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

I have lived in Maine most of my life and so I can contribute with some tips but this thread seems to me like a moving target. I can't figure out where specifically we're going with this or what is the specific challenge we are trying to solve ... most likely it is neither, it is just a casual conversation thread or something like that.

[...maybe the problem is my reading comprehension so I am just laying low]
Old 04-26-21, 09:25 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I am a little confused about what the OP is asking for. The concern over ATVs seems to imply riding off road or on dirt roads. Not sure though, I may be reading them wrong. If so please ignore my comments or clarify what you are saying.

I have not been to Stonington, but have been to and ridden on other parts of the Maine coast. I have found the drivers there pretty laid back and courteous. I grew up and lived most of my pre retirement life in Maryland and have lived in Florida in recent years. It strikes me that if the OP finds drivers in Maine to be a problem they are likely to really hate the drivers in Maryland and Florida. Come to think of it the same goes for pretty much everywhere in between.

I'd suggest that the OP probably either needs to get used to traffic or decide to ride somewhere off of the public highways. Riding down the east coast is likely to be a harrowing experience unless they are at least a bit traffic tolerant. I'd suggest working on that or taking up a different activity.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 04-28-21, 01:36 AM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
don't answer it then

i unfortunately live in maine
I am HOPEFULLY moving to MD and I want to trek between ME and MD once a year
I want to VISIT friends in FL from MD
first I need some shorter trips..

why is that confusing?!?!
Old 04-28-21, 01:42 AM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
The Northern Tier route from Adventure Cycling terminates in Bar Harbor. I rode that route from Seattle to Bar Harbor a few years ago, then rode to Stonington on what I thought were pretty good roads. From there I took the ferry to Isle au Haut, to visit some friends who lived out there. I was a little worried about the condition of some of the Maine roads, but I was also thankful for how careful the drivers seemed to be. I cycled less than a week in Maine.

We here have the worst roads in the state (7 years in a row, there is a contest of sorts where towns get rated for road conditions).
How long did it take you to get to MDI from Seattle?
Old 04-28-21, 01:46 AM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I am a little confused about what the OP is asking for. The concern over ATVs seems to imply riding off road or on dirt roads. Not sure though, I may be reading them wrong. If so please ignore my comments or clarify what you are saying.

I have not been to Stonington, but have been to and ridden on other parts of the Maine coast. I have found the drivers there pretty laid back and courteous. I grew up and lived most of my pre retirement life in Maryland and have lived in Florida in recent years. It strikes me that if the OP finds drivers in Maine to be a problem they are likely to really hate the drivers in Maryland and Florida. Come to think of it the same goes for pretty much everywhere in between.

I'd suggest that the OP probably either needs to get used to traffic or decide to ride somewhere off of the public highways. Riding down the east coast is likely to be a harrowing experience unless they are at least a bit traffic tolerant. I'd suggest working on that or taking up a different activity.
or how about not being mean? and talking to the poster as they aren't reading the thread. you could have not even bothered to post your MEAN comment either.
Old 04-28-21, 01:50 AM
LisaG71

So, sorry I even joined here.. MOST everyone is obnoxiously MEAN and hateful.. WAY to have NEW people join the sport! WHY even post on something you clearly do not like or want to be clearly UNhealpful?

oh, I won' t be FINDING a new activity and I LOATHE being talked to as a third person. it is mean and uncalled for.
Old 04-28-21, 04:51 AM
PedalingWalrus

Ok

I tried reading the facts again. Here is what I surmised:

MD - Maryland or maybe Mount Desert (Acadia)
MDI - Mount Desert Island
FL - Florida
3 dogs
a bike trailer
operative hip
scared of steep roads
Uncomfortable with riding in traffic
I am Assuming no car transportation
Overseeing ex husband activities

Here is what I can say;

1.There is NO dedicated bicycle trail trail to MDI, or MD or FL.

2. There ARE some good biking day trips within reasonable car drive from Stonington but not without a car, not with 1,2 or 3 dogs in a trailer - basically the equipment and cost and experience required to pull this off is way beyond a beginner that You appear to be

3. Here is a lovely loop I did in Stonington. It had some high traffic roads and some quiet roads https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32612...erZIWx0qzXkA5a

4. Yours is an uphill battle…but in pure hypothetical sense I would say that this checklist would most likely need to be accomplished:

a) start riding. Perhaps first on a mountain bike and on non traffic roads. You will need this to get the stamina ($ bike 1)

b) start riding on roads safely and get used to riding in traffic too. You will need this step in order to bike tour in the United States on long tours like the one to Florida. ($$ bike 2)

c) biking with a load is harder and with a trailer carrying one to three dogs is even harder. Perhaps get an ebike cargo bike ($$$ bike 3)

d) buy all camping and touring gear, choose the best bike solution from your acquired skill set and head out to Florida

e) grow a thicker skin - you will need it as a female on a multi month trip with baggage

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 04-28-21 at 04:55 AM.
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 04-28-21, 09:32 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
Ok, let’s get back to helping Lisa with her touring plans. Lisa, those outburst responses don’t encourage people to offer advice either

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.