Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Track bikes faster then geared bikes?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-21, 10:48 AM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts

Track bikes faster than geared bikes?
I don’t race that much actually, but once in a while, when I am really warmed up, I like to give it a go. My bike seems to have a lot of zip, and can hold its own against high end geared bikes and fast riders .
My big disadvantage is that with one flimsy hand brake and two skinny pads going down steep long hills I tend to be careful .. .
Hit a temporary road sign last month in the bike lane and I still have scars . I am thinking I love my track bike, but it’s just not the type of bike to be going really fast downhill at high speed .
Old 09-26-21, 03:09 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Too many variables to say. Depends on the course and which bikes you're comparing. Steep climbs and fast descents don't really play to a fixed-gear's strengths.

But it's also a false dichotomy -- what about a non-fixed singlespeed? At a local 24-hour mountain bike race a few years ago, a singlespeed team won the overall and one of their members also posted the fastest lap time. But that still doesn't mean a singlespeed is always going to be faster than a geared bike.
Old 09-26-21, 03:53 PM
AJW2W11E

Originally Posted by Rolla
Too many variables to say. Depends on the course and which bikes you're comparing. Steep climbs and fast descents don't really play to a fixed-gear's strengths.

But it's also a false dichotomy -- what about a non-fixed singlespeed? At a local 24-hour mountain bike race a few years ago, a singlespeed team won the overall and one of their members also posted the fastest lap time. But that still doesn't mean a singlespeed is always going to be faster than a geared bike.
Good answer. Forget to add my geometry is a bit more unstable then those newer geared bikes. Going downhill on a turn is always a time to be cautious.
Old 09-26-21, 05:06 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Generally, I am faster on a multiple geared bike. Even my 3 speed fixed, although by far heaviest bike I own, I am faster than with one speed. Not always, but most of the time. Certain sectors, I might be quicker fixed, usually with lots of climbing or elevation.

Last edited by Senrab62; 09-26-21 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-26-21, 06:46 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Yes. Track frames contain the exotic rare earth element Speedium, which makes them inherently faster than geared bikes.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 09-27-21, 09:27 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,145 Times in 1,655 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
My bike seems to have a lot of zip, and can hold its own against high end geared bikes and fast riders ..
Actually, it's you that are holding your own against faster riders, not the bike! Over diverse terrain and wind conditions, the flexibility of a geared freehub/freewheel bike is generally faster. Flat with consistent wind? Maybe the track bike.
Old 09-27-21, 09:30 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
The "laboratory of the road" seems to favor multi-speed bikes, but we only have about a century of data so far.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-27-21, 08:38 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
In the most optimal conditions with the most optimal bike setup, a bike is only ever as fast as its rider . . . Gears just provide a continued optimal bike setup in less than optimal conditions.
Likes For sdimattia:
Old 09-29-21, 06:16 AM
aniki

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
I only ride fixed on the road. Usually with several other riders all on geared bikes. Some are faster than me and some are slower.
The only time they lose me is on long fast descents; trying to maintain 180rpm for too long is a ball-ache so I usually just leg-brake or hand brake and wait until it's flat again to catch everyone up.
Overall I would say that riding fixed you are at a mechanical disadvantage; based on power numbers I would be riding with a faster group altogether if I rode gears on the road but I ride for fun and social etc. so I just do what I enjoy most.
-
Just as an aside, I've seen plenty of people trying to ride fixed or more specifically, 'track' frames on the road and they usually have way too much weight over the front. This makes descending much more difficult than it needs to be! Move the centre of gravity back 20mm or so and all of a sudden they have much better control....
Old 09-29-21, 10:43 AM
AJW2W11E

Originally Posted by aniki
I only ride fixed on the road. Usually with several other riders all on geared bikes. Some are faster than me and some are slower.
The only time they lose me is on long fast descents; trying to maintain 180rpm for too long is a ball-ache so I usually just leg-brake or hand brake and wait until it's flat again to catch everyone up.
Overall I would say that riding fixed you are at a mechanical disadvantage; based on power numbers I would be riding with a faster group altogether if I rode gears on the road but I ride for fun and social etc. so I just do what I enjoy most.
-
Just as an aside, I've seen plenty of people trying to ride fixed or more specifically, 'track' frames on the road and they usually have way too much weight over the front. This makes descending much more difficult than it needs to be! Move the centre of gravity back 20mm or so and all of a sudden they have much better control....
Got to agree. I’m used to the geometry now, but I remember in the beginning hitting my pedals in sharp turns and trying to avoid a poodle making a sharp turn and landing in gravel. But I still love my Pista!
Old 09-29-21, 04:28 PM
TheRealDrPhil
2+1+0=1

Bikes: Fixie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62
Generally, I am faster on a multiple geared bike. Even my 3 speed fixed, although by far heaviest bike I own, I am faster than with one speed. Not always, but most of the time. Certain sectors, I might be quicker fixed, usually with lots of climbing or elevation.
How does a three-speed fixed work? If the gears are in the hub, how does the hub change gears in both directions of chain motion (a defining element of a fixed gear bike)?
Old 09-29-21, 04:51 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRealDrPhil
How does a three-speed fixed work? If the gears are in the hub, how does the hub change gears in both directions of chain motion (a defining element of a fixed gear bike)?
Definitely a fixed gear bike. 3 speeds. Sturmey archer S3X hub. Not the first of it's kind either, SA made somenother multiple speed fixed gear hubs in the 40s and 50s. If engaged, can pedal backwards, though this is not recommended for longevity.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/asc.html

Edit: Uses a indexed gear shifter, can be bar end mounted, or on downtube boss as I use it. They also made handlebar mount thumb shifter as well.