Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling Dynamics Data Interpretation

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-23-21, 05:06 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I just got the Garmin Rally RS200 pedals. I've only used them on one ride so far. They provide a ton of data which I am hoping can help with my bike fit. I haven't found much online about the right way to use or interpret all of the data. Are there any good resources others have found out there?
Old 10-23-21, 12:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I've been using Vectors for years. The additional data wasn't helpful to me until a foot injury. I think most people will do best ignoring pretty much everything but power.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 10-23-21, 04:33 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
I only ever concentrate on power, all the masses of other data don't really seem to mean much. I'm sure they have their uses.

Left right power balance is interesting to look at sometimes. Might be useful in bike fitting if you have specific issues. Talking to an experienced bike fitter would be best!
Old 10-23-21, 05:04 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
I just got the Garmin Rally RS200 pedals. I've only used them on one ride so far. They provide a ton of data which I am hoping can help with my bike fit. I haven't found much online about the right way to use or interpret all of the data. Are there any good resources others have found out there?
The only starting point to best determine fit is to cycle long and hard enough to get into your best possible/attainable cycling shape, and then go from there.
Anything else is marketing based silliness.
Old 10-23-21, 05:23 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 2,982 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
The only starting point to best determine fit is to cycle long and hard enough to get into your best possible/attainable cycling shape, and then go from there.
Anything else is marketing based silliness.
That's fine for those of us who have enough self-awareness and experience of what is a half reasonable position on the bike. But I see a lot of evidence out on the road that some people have no clue where to start. Having said that I don't think pedal PMs are going to help at all with bike fit.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-23-21, 07:25 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I got a PowerTap hub a couple years ago. Since then, I've been messing around more seriously, because now I can, with holding relatively high FTP percentages for long periods, say 80%+. While doing that, having nothing else to do except stay upright, I mess with my pedal stroke. It seems to me that with enough practice, say a dozen long sessions, that I can hold a higher power without running out of legs just by pedaling a certain way. I would love to see a graph of that to know what I'm doing, but it sort of doesn't matter. I know what it feels like. It's really easy to lose concentration, and when I do, some muscle in my legs will let me know. The object of the game seems to be to reduce the force applied, as a percentage of maximum force, of every muscle in my legs, butt, and lower back - evenly, across the board. It's like the story of the engineering marvel, where every part fails at the same time. My thing has always been endurance cycling, which somewhat explains this preoccupation.