Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Question on Universal 61 brakes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-21, 06:22 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 102 Posts

All,

I’m finishing up a build of an early ‘70’s Frejus.

On the bench now are 2 sets of Universal 61 calipers, and I am noticing two different widths of the cable straddle bracket.

I’m not sure if the brake sets came with two different widths of the bracket, or if I’m looking at two different versions of the brakes.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks, Kurt
Old 10-26-21, 08:41 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by satbuilder
On the bench now are 2 sets of Universal 61 calipers, and I am noticing two different widths of the cable straddle bracket.
I have several sets and will check tomorrow. I am not sure which feature to which you are referring. Are you seeing two different spacings between the mounts on the calipers? This would indicate a difference in straddle cables.
Old 10-26-21, 10:53 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Universal 61 Hardware

Universal Cable Yoke rear view from my all original 1971 Hetchins Italia

Page from the 1978 Universal Catalog. The Cable Yoke 108 appears wider than on the older models.

Something else to consider, Universal Model 61 brakes go back 60 years and over the course of time the yokes could have been replaced with some from another brand???

BTW, In the early 70's Universal Module 61 brakes came on a lot of "all Campy but the brakes" Italian bikes Also top end Motobecanes from that period like the Grand Record, Le Champion and Team Champion/Champion Team bikes.

We used to take them off of new bikes we were assembling and replaced them with some type of side pulls. We had a box full! Center pulls had become passe with the Fadista set!

One other thing, the red Universal brake blocks were USELESS for anything but polishing the rim sidewalls! All the lame BS about Brake Modulation was just an excuse for brakes that DIDN'T STOP!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 10-26-21 at 11:55 PM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 10-27-21, 01:34 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 102 Posts
Thanks all, it looks like I’ll be using the narrow ones.