Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Cannondale or Devinci

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Cannondale or Devinci

Old 10-27-21, 04:20 PM
dmpocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale or Devinci

Howdy. I've been out of mountain biking for several years and want to get back on trails. I would rate myself as a "novice" rider that is going to be super aggressive, jumping off things or doing things I would have done 20 years ago. I'm 51 years old, 6'2 and currently about 240lbs. As I look at a few used bike options, I've narrowed it down to a couple bikes and would like to hear feedback on which bike is a better option for. Both bikes are built almost identical and the big difference is the Cannondale is Carbon and the Devinci is aluminum. The cost difference is about $700 more for the Cannondale carbon. Take a look below and appreciate your input. Thanks!

Option 1
2021 Generation Devinci Troy
29" Wheels
Aluminum Frame - Size XL
Added Items:
- Race Face Carbon Next Handle Bar (800mm with 20mm Rise); will include the V2 Pro Alu 780mm as well.
Main SRAM SX Build:
- RockShox Revelation Front Fork (150mm)
- RockShox SuperDeluxe Select Rear (140mm)
- TranzX Dropper
- Brakes SRAM Guide T (4 piston)
- SRAM SX Eagle 12S Drive Train
- Truvativ Descendant Eagle 32T SuperBoost 157 Crankset with Chain Guide
- Novatec D791SB-B15 (front hub)
- Novatec DH92SB-SH TA 12x157 SH (Rear Hub)
- Maxxis Minion DHF | 29x2.5wt | 3C EXO TR (front tire)
- Maxxis Minion DHRII | 29x2.4wt | 3C EXO TR (rear tire)
- V2 Comp 36mm Rims with Sapim Spokes

Option 2
Cannondale Habit Carbon 2 2019 Riding
Wheel Size 29"
Carbon Fiber Frame
BallisTec carbon front triangle with SmartForm C1 alloy swingarm
Rear Shock FOX Float Performance Elite DPX2 EVOL, 3-position adjustment Fork FOX Float Performance Elite 34,
FIT4 damper, 3-position adjustment, 15x110mm, 51mm offset Fork Travel 140mm Head Tube Diameter Tapered 1.125"-1.5" Headset Integrated, sealed angular contact bearings
Handlebar Cannondale C3 Riser, alloy, 15mm rise, 9° sweep, 4° rise, 780mm
Stem Cannondale C1, 3D forged 6061 alloy, 1.125", 31.8mm, 0° Grips Cannondale locking
Brakes SRAM Guide RS hydraulic disc, 180mm CenterLine rotors
Brake Levers SRAM Guide RS Drivetrain 1x Shifters SRAM GX Eagle, 12-speed
Front Derailleur SRAM X01 Eagle, 12-speed ISCG Tabs ISCG05 Chainguide None Cranks Truvativ Stylo 7K Chainrings 30 tooth Bottom Bracket Cannondale alloy, PressFit 30 Pedals None Chain SRAM GX Eagle,
12-speed Cassette SRAM XG-1275, GX Eagle, 10-50 tooth, 12-speed Rims Stan's NoTubes Arch MK3, 28 hole, tubeless ready Hubs Front: Cannondale Hollowgram
Rear: Cannondale Hollowgram with DT internals, XD driver Spokes DT Swiss Competition, straight pull Tires Front: Maxxis Minion DHF 29 x 2.5" WT
Rear: Maxxis High Roller II 29 x 2.3", 3C compound, Max Terra, EXO puncture protection, tubeless ready Saddle Fabric Scoop Shallow Elite, cro-mo rails Seatpost Cannondale DownLow dropper, internal routing, 100mm (S), 125mm (M), 150mm (L-XL)
Old 11-04-21, 02:48 PM
1xGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like the component spec on the Cannondale is a step or two up from the Devinci, depending on the item...that, with the carbon v alloy frame, and the fact that Devinci is a bigger bike (travel) adds up to the fact that the CDale will be probably be lighter by a couple pounds.
Both are trail bikes and should perform well for what you seem to have in mind. Cannondale would probably be slightly better on the climbs/pedaling, while the Devinci is likely slightly better on rougher terrain, but both will deal with what most folks our age will dish out. I doubt either bike will hold you back.
Really it comes down to - and you'll hear this a lot - what are your local trails like, and what do you intend to do?
For me, probably would be: all-around bike would be the Cdale - if I was going to be slightly biased toward the downs without caring too much about the weight or climbing, maybe the Devinci
Old 11-05-21, 08:48 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
I have a Troy and in my very limited MTB experience, feels to be a real nice ride...HOWEVER... it just doesn't seem to want to climb... it feels like a lot of power is getting lost between the pedals and the tires.... maybe I just suck... maybe it's inherent to the bike....