Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Bike Cave...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Bike Cave...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 09:20 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts

THAT... is a beer fridge.
Old 04-19-10, 10:04 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
THAT... is a beer fridge.
Maybe, but it is in the way of hanging up more frames and complete bikes. Remember, though B=G, N+1=N > B=G.

-Kurt

Old 04-19-10, 10:28 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Our house has this random huge 2 story cinderblock & steel girdered garage/workshop, constructed by a previous owner and shoehorned into our 0.1 acre lot. I can't really fix cars or do carpentry, so it's been repurposed.

upstairs, through that white door:
Old 04-19-10, 10:40 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts

there is no way I could ride a 66 cm frame...

I'm pretty sure that there's a way that I could ride 660mm

[goes to google maps to look up Edmonton....]

but even in a fantasy world where you would be selling that frame for cheap, there's definitely no way I could get to Edmonton!
Old 04-19-10, 11:43 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
You must be freakishly tall... figure this frame is good for someone who is at least 6 and 6 and the long stays are good for folks who also wear much bigger shoes.

It is an older build and the chainstay brake mount is evidence of that... the new frames are more conventionally equipped and as customs could be set up any way one liked... most are getting disc mounts and have tandem spacing in the rear to cut down on rear wheel dish.

I have a frame like this coming in my size as a demo model and it should be arriving this week... I can't wait to start logging some miles and some of those will be to go and start an apprenticeship as a frame builder. This commute will be 140 km although I will probably get a lift one way to save me some mileage and time.

Am liking the other caves and love this frame... whatever it is.

It is a old Royce Union that I saved from a friends kid as he was about to start cutting it up to make some kind of frankenbike. I have plans to make it a retro cruiser with a springer front end,drum brakes and painted to match my Bronco so I have something to ride around car and truck shows.

Old 04-19-10, 01:42 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
You must be freakishly tall... figure this frame is good for someone who is at least 6 and 6 and the long stays are good for folks who also wear much bigger shoes.

It is an older build and the chainstay brake mount is evidence of that... the new frames are more conventionally equipped and as customs could be set up any way one liked... most are getting disc mounts and have tandem spacing in the rear to cut down on rear wheel dish.

I have a frame like this coming in my size as a demo model and it should be arriving this week... I can't wait to start logging some miles and some of those will be to go and start an apprenticeship as a frame builder. This commute will be 140 km although I will probably get a lift one way to save me some mileage and time.
I am 6'-2" but with long arms and legs. I typically ride 65cm frames with 110mm stems. My seat to pedal dimension is somewhere around 95cm.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-21-10, 03:59 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by prettyshady
I keep my bikes I ride downstairs in various location, but I do my major work in an attic crawl space.

Not much has changed since I last posted it,

The door to the left of the work area is the input/output box

What is that white Peugeot in the foreground?
Old 04-21-10, 08:09 AM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
This thread is brillant in its demonstration and revelation of depravation.

Here in AZ, most houses do not have basements. Therefore, the extra garage stall typically ends up being used for storage. For years, our third stall was a dumping ground for everyone's gear and other crap. About two years ago, I waded into that wilderness and cut from it a Man Cave for bicycles. Even so, as you can see in the photos, constant diligence is required to fight back the encroaching chaos.

Old 04-21-10, 08:19 AM
prettyshady

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey85
What is that white Peugeot in the foreground?
I believe its an mid 80's peugeot p10, I brought it for the colnago stem
Old 04-21-10, 08:37 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks! The reason I ask is that I know of one near my parents mouldering away with the exact same paint job. That one has cottered cranks and Simplex downtube shifters though.
Old 04-21-10, 11:13 AM
Walfredo

Bikes: 83 Trek 620

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm having serious cave envy right now.
Old 04-21-10, 11:22 AM
liquefied

Bikes: 1989 Team Miyata, 1989 Miyata 1400, 1989 Miyata 1400, 1986 Miyata 610, 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I could have a cave. Unfortunately it is just not possible in my postage stamp apartment.
Old 04-21-10, 01:57 PM
Oscuro

Bikes: LHT, International, 310

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
May I be the first to post, a true "Shed".

It's better, and worse now; I have to share space with the lawn mower, but I have organized a bit more, gotten rid of the Surly Pretzel, and brought a few more tools from home...but, still no Stand, and lacking my tool chest, and any semblance of real organization.

All you guys and you big workshops....with lighting, power, compressed air....you make me sick you decadent fools!*

(* read as "vile green with envy!)
Old 04-21-10, 02:27 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
It's just a small space in the garage.

That's not me.

Last edited by Grand Bois; 04-21-10 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-22-10, 09:49 AM
cooke350

Bikes: Schwinn Moab MTB, 1988 Schinn Wold Sport Road Bike, Redline BMX, & a few others!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, i thought I had a lot of bikes & parts!
Old 04-22-10, 12:44 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Hmm. With 100mm cranks, I think I could do it...
Old 04-22-10, 02:59 PM
RoboIsGod

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

This is the current/temporary work space until I move into my new place (MESSYY). It's actually part of my room, but I don't mind it at all. Both bikes you see have been completed and pictures along with a few other bikes will be posted soon.
Old 04-22-10, 03:40 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
I am in cave envy, too! Though this link may come in handy next time my (beloved) wife gives me grief about too many bike parts cluttering the garage.
Old 04-22-10, 11:03 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co
Hmm. With 100mm cranks, I think I could do it...
They come in normal sizes... mine should be here in a few weeks.

Old 04-22-10, 11:21 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois

That's not me.
Dr. D!
Old 04-22-10, 11:23 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Oscuro

That 310 looks very familiar. Have you had it long?
Old 04-23-10, 04:18 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Some very nice bike caves and work spaces you guys have there! I could spend hours browsing around all those bikes and parts!
Ah, to have a basement again, what a joy that would be! I suffer the same affliction as RFC, no basement either in my East Valley house. Even with a 3-car garage, we're running out of room! Stuff is ending up tossed in my Man Cave! My bikes must share space with a motorcycle, a sports car in need of restoring, and my wife's car! 3rd car garage has some awkward wall cabinets which don't allow me to park a car in there! WTF?!?
Anyway, the pics show what I did this past winter organizing the area. My wheels are unpacked and stored, but my frames and parts are still boxed in one corner. I only have 2 bikes that weren't disassembled for my move to Arizona. It's been almost a year, but the hard economic times have hurt job prospects; and that puts my biking endeavors last of priorities. Bills, feeding the kids, car maintenance comes first. :-\

But I did manage some bike cave upgrades...I don't have a work stand, so I picked up some 1" EMT and brackets at a garage sale, and bolted a ceiling suspended work 'pole'. (Still need to fab a seatpost clamp.) I needed it to expedite a quick turn around of a basket case of a MTB that my 14 y.o. stepson had. My wife, had spotted a CL ad for 3 MTBs for $40. The condition couldn't be verified and I was out of town. She thought the 3 would be usable by her and her boys. But one turned out to be a Roadmaster rotting POS, another was a nearly 30 y.o. Ross cruiser that was completely busted, and a white paint-bombed unknown entry level MTB that was pretty worn, but the only ridable bike. He took this bike, and rode it to school, etc. One day out with a friend, they rode to Best Buy, and some punks vandalized their bike while chained to the bike rack! They stomped on their rear wheels, taco-ing his. Being a naive Canadian boy raised somewhat sheltered, he couldn't comprehend the senseless vandalism for fun and how they could victimize strangers this way. I felt really bad for him. So, I made it my goal to show him how to restore a bike from the ground up. He was motivated, and bought a can of Jasco stripper himself and I showed him how to strip the spray paint off the bike and its parts. After he was done, he stated he always wanted a purple and red bike. I happen to have rattle cans on hand, due to a store closeout sale. I sanded the fork, frame and various parts. Sprayed all respective items their desired color. I dug into my parts bin to replace numerous components. It took a week, but the end results yielded a priceless smile on his face.
The first day he rode into school, his friends commented that they noticed a cool red/purple bike locked to the rack. He told them it was his. When he was asked, "What happen to that white bike?" He responded proudly, "You're looking at it." That got him (and me) lot's of credibility.

It was worth the effort. It got us closer too. I still need to replace that rear wheel. I was never able to get out a hop in the rim. I have an old Exage freehub wheel waiting. Just needs a replacement 7-spd freehub body. He's looking forward to painting his own project bike. I told him give me some straight A's, and we'll build his 1st road bike.

Last edited by WNG; 04-27-10 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-23-10, 08:07 AM
Oscuro

Bikes: LHT, International, 310

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
That 310 looks very familiar. Have you had it long?
That pic is of the 912...

But I've had the 310 since the end of August last year. I got it from the Sooke Trading Post.
Old 04-27-10, 05:42 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Finally 1) am home for more than 27 hours and 2) got the camera back from my wife.

So here they is:

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-27-10, 06:55 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
jgedwa needs to take pictures. He puts most of us to serious shame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.