Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 09-08-20, 09:43 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by ilbarbaro
Folks,

I still have my ‘89 purple haze master. What do you think of converting it to a “gravel” bike? Can the frame and fork take it? Can the 600 brakes fit a wider tire like a 28 .. or more?
The widest, plushest tire I've been able to fit to my Ironman (Suntour GPX brake, but similar clearance issues) is the Continental Grand Prix Classic skinwall (available only in 700x25), and it will still rub the rear brake bridge slightly until it's worn in. The GP Classic has a raised center tread so it's slightly higher than some other 700x25 tires.

I speeded up the break in process on the indoor trainer. And it still scraped slightly whenever I'd ride through a puddle and pick up road grit. Well worth the effort. Great looking tires, very comfortable -- especially with latex tubes -- durable and reasonably puncture resistant. And I can mount them with my hands, no need for a bead jack or levers.

Next best are Continental Ultra Sport II. No clearance problems in 700x25, no need to break them in. Good tires for only around $15 each. However they are a huge PITA to mount without a bead jack. Get a Kool Stop bead jack and carry it with you when riding any size Ultra Sport II.

Like other folks I've considered converting my Ironman to 650b or something more stable in casual gravel rides, but haven't seen any cost effective way to do it. So I'm leaving the Ironman pretty much original. I already have a Univega 1990s mountain bike/hybrid converted for casual gravel rides.
Old 09-08-20, 06:51 PM
N2motorsports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
The widest, plushest tire I've been able to fit to my Ironman (Suntour GPX brake, but similar clearance issues) is the Continental Grand Prix Classic skinwall (available only in 700x25), and it will still rub the rear brake bridge slightly until it's worn in. The GP Classic has a raised center tread so it's slightly higher than some other 700x25 tires.

I speeded up the break in process on the indoor trainer. And it still scraped slightly whenever I'd ride through a puddle and pick up road grit. Well worth the effort. Great looking tires, very comfortable -- especially with latex tubes -- durable and reasonably puncture resistant. And I can mount them with my hands, no need for a bead jack or levers.

Next best are Continental Ultra Sport II. No clearance problems in 700x25, no need to break them in. Good tires for only around $15 each. However they are a huge PITA to mount without a bead jack. Get a Kool Stop bead jack and carry it with you when riding any size Ultra Sport II.

Like other folks I've considered converting my Ironman to 650b or something more stable in casual gravel rides, but haven't seen any cost effective way to do it. So I'm leaving the Ironman pretty much original. I already have a Univega 1990s mountain bike/hybrid converted for casual gravel rides.
For sure the vittoria corsa g+ 700x28 will fit, had to grind down a tube nut to angle the brakes upward and it cleared the brake bridge. Over 800 problem free miles thus far.

Likes For N2motorsports:
Old 09-09-20, 09:23 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
I'm still alive and haven't fallen off the cliff I've just been busy with my 56 Belair project. I have been riding some but since the HNH got turned into a virtual ride I sort of lost interest in it so I have just been doing short rides then getting back to my project. I still have a long ways to go. I have been trying to catch up on the Ironman world for a couple of hours and saw some of you did the virtual 100. Good for you! I also spotted some REALLY nice finds and I'm jealous. My M/V is hanging in the shed waiting on some tlc and will probably stay there for a while. I have been riding the Purple Haze and even though its not real pretty with all the touch up its a blast to ride with the DuraAce stuff and the carbon wheels. Keep ridin Iron gents and I'll try to check in more often.

Oh btw my daughter has pretty much quit riding her Cannondale CAAD 10 and rides the Ironman just like the Iron Maiden (her daughter) did with her modern bike. So when we do get to ride together we have 3 generations on Ironman bikes! I'll try to get a picture next time
Old 09-11-20, 09:36 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Finally had a short window between work, weather, and smoke to get the new old bike out. Just a short test ride but it was good.

It fits as well as her other bike, too big but she's used to that. With the 700c wheels, vs 650c on her other bike, she's up higher but the cockpit is the same.

She kept commenting on how smooth it was and how good the brakes are. Doesn't love the downtube shifting though, we'll see if I have to modernize it.

​​​​I think it's a keeper.

Likes For rosefarts:
Old 09-11-20, 10:52 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
so the Master IM's came out to welcome the new addition to the family. Its to small for me but not sure what im gonna do with it. but hey its a 1989 Prestige!

Old 09-12-20, 10:53 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Finally had a short window between work, weather, and smoke to get the new old bike out. Just a short test ride but it was good.

It fits as well as her other bike, too big but she's used to that. With the 700c wheels, vs 650c on her other bike, she's up higher but the cockpit is the same.

She kept commenting on how smooth it was and how good the brakes are. Doesn't love the downtube shifting though, we'll see if I have to modernize it.

Good looking family! If I may ask, how tall is your wife? My daughter is a shade over 5'. I'm thinking about sizing options. I wonder at what height a Terry style with the small front wheel becomes the appropriate size?
Old 09-12-20, 10:54 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by fleslider
so the Master IM's came out to welcome the new addition to the family. Its to small for me but not sure what im gonna do with it. but hey its a 1989 Prestige!

Sweet!
Old 09-12-20, 01:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by rosefarts

Nice! I wasn't a fan of that frame color, but when paired with the blue bar wrap it makes sense. That's just what it needed for that 1980s Miami Vice chic. I'll bet that bike will look great with matching blue cable housing, if you can find the right color. I have some sky blue cable housing from Sunlite and Jagwire, brake and shifter, and the color matches despite coming from different makers. But It's not quite the right shade of blue for that bike.

While I enjoy riding my Ironman with downtube shifters, I prefer brifters on my carbon bikes. Especially in fast group rides. Some of the folks I've ridden with are strong but reckless, all over the road, moving off their line for no apparent reason in a paceline, or failing to call out hazards. So I want both hands on the bar at all times. But I enjoy the downtube shifters for solo rides or when riding with one or two faster, stronger friends who are experienced and careful riders whom I can trust.

A quick and easy solution for long term compatibility might be bar-end shifters. I have Shimano 8-speed and 10-speed bar-ends and they're great. But I've never tried any Suntour or other types, especially the friction-only types. Some folks love 'em, but they can interfere with the knees on slow speed sharp turns, so some folks will trim the ends of the handlebars. I've used 'em only on albatross swept bars and aero bars, never on a drop bar -- yet. Subject to change at whim.

MicroShift makes some great values in 7 and 8 speed integrated shifters -- if you can find 'em. Those great affordable Chinese made integrated brake/shifter kits from MicroShift, MicroNew and others have been in short supply during the pandemic and economic slowdown. The innards are mostly plastic but so far, so good, with my set of 7-speed MicroShift integrated brake/shifters.

Unlike the Shimano brifters, the brake levers are just brakes on the MicroShift. There are separate paddles for shifting up and down. I kinda prefer 'em to the Shimanos, although the old school Dura Ace 8-speed brifters are pretty much all metal (and grungy after 20 years -- mine are soaking in WD-40 to loosen up the grungy old grease).

The MicroShifters have been compatible with my wheels with freehubs and cassettes from Shimano and SunRace, as well as my 7-speed freewheel rear wheels using SunRace or Shimano freewheels. I'd emphasize using SunRace because the teeth are carefully shaped to ensure compatibility with both Shimano and Suntour groups. I've pretty much given up on Suntour freewheels, other than for friction shifting setups. The squared off Suntour freewheels feel crude and balky with index shifters, including my GPX setup. SunRace MFR-30 and MFM-30 freewheels run much more smoothly and shift crisply with both Suntour and Shimano derailleurs and shifters.
Old 09-12-20, 06:15 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Looks great.
I still have the matching cable housing if you need it...
I also have a set of Sora STI shifters.
They may be 8sp but I can check.
Old 09-12-20, 08:08 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by seypat
Good looking family! If I may ask, how tall is your wife? My daughter is a shade over 5'. I'm thinking about sizing options. I wonder at what height a Terry style with the small front wheel becomes the appropriate size?
4'9" and this is the 700c front and back version. It's a tad big. I think it would be perfect for 5'1" and I'm sure the assym wheel version for a little shorter, with very very limited options for tires.
Old 09-13-20, 08:09 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Canklecat, it's Celeste bar tape. When I first wrapped it I wasn't sure but now that I've got the rotten white hoods off and the new black hoods on, I like the look.

For STI, I'd go all in. New rear hub or wheel depending on what's at the Co-op. 8 speed cassette for the max of what that rear can handle, probably 12-28, the 11-32 8 speed cassette sounds impractical. I do have a little concern about stretching a smaller frame. It's usually not too difficult to get a 130mm cup and cone hub down to 128.

I think the current rear derailleur would work, unsure about the front. I use Campy Ergo, so the left side is basically friction, but if Sora, Microshift, or Sunrace are clicky, I might have a problem.

I like my barend shifter on my gravel bike a lot. Probably not for her. I raced many years on Shimano and Campy integration. Even though I will use my Spectrum on group coffee shop rides, I can't really imagine being in thundering peloton with downtube shifters. The bar ends made the cut because they're on a gravel bike, so races aren't nearly as tight.

This bike will clear true 28s. Probably not Schwalbe or GP4000 which measure 30mm in reality. I'm happy enough about that I won't worry about 650b without a compelling reason.

Send me a PM about those Sora shifters.

Last edited by rosefarts; 09-13-20 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-13-20, 02:16 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Since the 100 mile "Ride" I haven't ridden any of my IM bikes. The day after I rode my DB mountain bike on our short river trail several days in a row til the rains came. Since then it's stop raining but I've yet to ride an IM. However I have ridden my DB some more. But due to the mud I've stayed on our MUP/river walk. Im not afraid to ride in the mud I just don't want to have to wash it afterwards. My wife kids me that Hey it's a mountain bike it's ok to get it dirty...No thanks.
I think I posted pics of the river trail so now here's pics of the River Walk.

This is from on the river walk looking across the river is the River trail. If you look closely at The bottom left white part across the river , that's the river trail.

Here's a pic from a bridge which is part of the MUP. The right is the MUP and in the background is downtown which the MUP goes thru. The Diamond Back is a blast...but riding the IM tue and thu.

Last edited by texaspandj; 09-13-20 at 02:24 PM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 09-13-20, 02:36 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
wow what does riding in clean air feel like - asking for a friend
Old 09-14-20, 11:53 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
My kid is eyeing my bike...

Since getting his bike completed, my 9yo is now eyeing my road bikes, and wanting an additional one for smooth surfaces. (I’m so proud.)

I came across this one. Looks like 50 or 52cm, 1985 or 86.

what’s your take on it?

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...194704189.html
Old 09-14-20, 12:38 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Since getting his bike completed, my 9yo is now eyeing my road bikes, and wanting an additional one for smooth surfaces. (I’m so proud.)

I came across this one. Looks like 50 or 52cm, 1985 or 86.

what’s your take on it?

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...194704189.html
post was gone.
Old 09-14-20, 12:40 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
post was gone.
I guess it was a good one. Oh well.

moot point, but this was the bike.

Last edited by TriBiker19; 09-14-20 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-14-20, 02:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

I finally put together a spiffy Diamondback Podium frame a friend gave me to clear out his garage. Wrong size for him so he kept the components. Due to the usual life stuff getting in the way, I waited for nearly a year to finish the bike. But we had a soggy week of rain so I had an excuse to not ride for a few days and slap the bike together with bits and pieces from the junk bin: 600 Tricolor derailleurs, MicroShift 7-speed integrated shifters, etc.

Rode it three times this weekend, 20, 30 and 40 mile rides. It's very lightweight. And harsh -- mostly due to recent repaving that laid down the roughest chipseal I've ever experienced. And not any faster with my puny engine.

The Ironman is much better suited to our roads and my conditioning. Even the Trekenstein suits me better. Yeah, it's carbon fiber, but it rides like a lightweight steel bike.

The Diamondback will be a fun play bike for perfect roads. But I realized I won't be buying a carbon fiber bike, even if I win the lotto. If I get a windfall I'll be looking for a really nice steel frame. Maybe titanium, I dunno.

Now I gotta go replace the tires on my Ironman. Those 700x23 shoes won't be suitable for our roads until they finish over that blasted chipseal. Wish I could squeeze in 700x28, but the 700x25 Conti GP Classics will do nicely.
Old 09-14-20, 04:53 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 279 Posts
I guess it was a good one. Oh well.

moot point, but this was the bike.

PM sent.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Likes For top506:
Old 09-14-20, 05:44 PM
texaspandj

^^^ Cool 50cm Centurion. FYI Not an Ironman.
Old 09-14-20, 09:06 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Originally Posted by texaspandj
^^^ Cool 50cm Centurion. FYI Not an Ironman.
I thought it looked like a 50 or 52. Maybe a Cavaletto?
Old 09-15-20, 07:12 AM
texaspandj

I thought it looked like a 50 or 52. Maybe a Cavaletto?
Im not a Centurion expert but I think that's a Accordo RS.
I think you should stick with 50cm. That peach colored IM one in previous post would work for you if they decide to sell it.
Old 09-15-20, 07:23 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Im not a Centurion expert but I think that's a Accordo RS.
I think you should stick with 50cm. That peach colored IM one in previous post would work for you if they decide to sell it.
My head hurts looking at the ‘women’s’ Ironman bikes. Those mismatched wheel sizes! Granted, it wouldn’t be mine...

If I remember correctly, the IM also came in a 47cm?
Old 09-15-20, 08:13 AM
texaspandj

My head hurts looking at the ‘women’s’ Ironman bikes. Those mismatched wheel sizes! Granted, it wouldn’t be mine...

If I remember correctly, the IM also came in a 47cm?
The 48cm used regular 700c wheels both front and back. However the 46cm used a 24 inch front wheel with a 700c rear wheel.
Those were the only two sizes available in the "women's" model.
Old 09-22-20, 09:43 AM
valve_timing

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro , 1989 Centurion Ironman Master

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I know this isnt a sales subforum but do any of you have any 650b 10 speed capable wheel sets if so pm me please !
Old 09-22-20, 09:11 PM
thejohnreyes

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
The 48cm used regular 700c wheels both front and back. However the 46cm used a 24 inch front wheel with a 700c rear wheel.
Those were the only two sizes available in the "women's" model.
I bought this bike just to look at it. It will always be too small to ride, but will always be needed to complete my Ironman collection. Maybe my son will ride it someday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.