Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Experience with a Dutch Lock

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-23, 07:23 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 212 Posts

Does anyone have experience with these "Dutch" locks? They are also called ring locks. Are they problematic, easy to defeat etc? There are several different manufacturers of them. I think in conjunction with other locks, they'd be another layer of deterence. I'd like to see if it is possible to fit one of these locks to a fork, then use a u-lock through the rear triangle of the frame attached between the wheel and the stationary object.

Old 05-22-23, 07:46 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
It is a bit tough to tell without anything else in the picture, however, since you are calling it a Dutch type of lock and from the looks of it, it would attach where the rear brake caliper is located. they are ideal for commuter, shopping and pub bikes. These range quite a bit in quality and strength is my understanding. They are typically easy to use but may not be the most secure. They can not save your front wheel from being stolen or the whole bike from being picked up and thrown in the back of a car, van or truck. Some people put a cable through the loop in this lock to lock the frame to a post and the front wheel before coming back to put the other end in the loop and locking it.

It may be a good sign that Kryptonite is making this style of lock. I don't know how good it is but they usually back up their locks with some sort of guaranty. The other lock maker that tends to be good and have this type of lock is Abus.

Despite the fact that I like these locks, I don't have one. How bad is that. I just use a cable and combination lock.
Old 05-23-23, 08:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Locks only deter the casual thief. So still, I'd be careful how valuable a bike I lock up with that lock and leave unattended.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-23-23, 03:16 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
They are not high security at all, but simply a deterrent to opportunistic "grab and ride" type thefts. So, if you're a bike courier working in an area where the delivery runs don't involve leaving your bike for more than a VERY few minutes at a time, they're fast and convenient. Same if you're using the bike for daily errands and your primary security is keeping it in sight or leaving or only for short periods, ie. buying an ice cream cone.

OTOH, they're a quick and easy way to secure a wheel, when added to better security, like a U-lick or chain for the bike.

So, like everything else security related, consider the area, how long you need to leave the bike, and then balance the required security level against things lime weight and convenience.

FWIW - a key element of security is more psychological then mechanical. For years while living in NYC I'd leave my high end road bike "locked" outside restaurants and small shops secured only with my left pedal's toe strap looped through the chainstay. Never had an issue probably potential thieves realized that just riding off wasn't possible, and also assumed that nobody would be dumb enough to rely on a toe strap unless they were watching the bike from close by.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-23-23, 04:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Locks only deter the casual thief. So still, I'd be careful how valuable a bike I lock up with that lock and leave unattended.
Casual thieves are the only kind I am concerned about; my relatively old and inexpensive bicycles are neither high end nor flashy, and do not appeal to those looking to steal bikes with those features. A frame lock is adequate for the security of my bike that came equipped with it, I typically use a cable lock though because after over 20 years of use the key looks as if it might break after just a few more uses.
Old 05-24-23, 01:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I use mine all the time except mine is from ABUS. They are not primary locks at least not here in the U.S. but as a secondary or tertiary lock they are fantastic. It keeps someone from easily stealing your rear wheel and can be combined with various accessory chains to lock it to something and only would require one key. For me I use it in conjunction with a Bordo 6405 (for the frame) and a Bordo Lite (for the front wheel) on a very expensive bike and don't worry too much about it. It is also a handy lock for when I am out and about with friends say at a restaurant where I can be very close to the bike but don't want to keep my hand on it while I eat or if I bring it inside someplace it is an easy way to prevent casual theft.

I used to hate café locks because I hadn't used one and didn't quite understand them but now after having one for a couple years I am sold. The beauty of my locks are that they are keyed-a-like from ABUS and I can add as many locks as I want to the set with that same key number so everything is secure but I don't have to fumble around with multiple keys. In the case of my e-bike and the e-bike I had gifted my father I have essentially 6 locks that are all keyed the same so if something happens we are both covered or if I need to borrow the bike or something I can go over and borrow it without having to get a key or if someone forbids one of us gets hurt and needs to lock up the bike and have the other pick it up it is super easy to do because we share a key.
Old 05-28-23, 01:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I didn't know Kryptonite got into the market. Hopefully they are looking at quality issues.

Mom and Dad bought a couple of those ring locks in Italy years ago. They don't look like much, and might trip up thieves that are unfamiliar with that type of lock.

I'm not sure the old locks were even hardened, although the new ones probably are.

I might consider one of those for a touring bike, so one could lock the bike when using a restroom or going into a convenience store for a minute.

I like the idea of using it on a front mount to deter theft of a front wheel. I think it may interfere with rim brakes, although surely it would be fine with disc brakes.
Old 05-30-23, 04:00 PM
Wasted Tuition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
!!!
Old 06-03-23, 02:00 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

I like the idea of using it on a front mount to deter theft of a front wheel. I think it may interfere with rim brakes, although surely it would be fine with disc brakes.

Indeed, I also shared that thought. A dutch up front and a u-lock or chain through the rear triangle would be perfect.
Old 06-03-23, 05:11 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Here's the old fashioned American version...

https://www.masterlock.com/products/product/1517D

Lots of people used these when I was a kid. Granted, all of the above caveats did and still do apply. And don't forget to park next to an expensive bike secured with a cable lock.
Old 06-03-23, 08:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Here's the old fashioned American version...

https://www.masterlock.com/products/product/1517D

Lots of people used these when I was a kid. Granted, all of the above caveats did and still do apply. And don't forget to park next to an expensive bike secured with a cable lock.
I feel like I could just look at that lock and it would open...

Wasted Tuition such poignant remarks, truly the Mark Twain of our generation. Also kidding again not serious just having fun.
Likes For veganbikes: