Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

First tumble

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-23, 01:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by venturi95
People should avoid cynophobia when dogs aren't around. A man finding a woman interesting is not misogyny.
Agreed. But what about a man blaming his crash on a gender? (Note the last word in the post.)

Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
Fell off the bike this morning, while riding. Two ladies were standing with their dogs on opposite sides of a trail, so I assumed they were letting me pass. While I was passing and observing the younger and more interesting female, the other lady decided to get back on the trail into my path. I avoided hitting the dog by a few inches, but momentum carried me off the bike and I rolled off the trail. Got away with a decent scrape on the palm and a thumb sprain. I hit the shoulder too, but so far don't feel any issues.Women 😂
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-21-23, 02:16 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Huffy RedRock (first bike), Aostimotor S17 ebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Agreed. But what about a man blaming his crash on a gender? (Note the last word in the post.)
I made another terrible assumption that a smiley face emoji preceding a word would indicate a kidding remark. Count it as another fail. Operating a fast moving vehicle, I mostly blame myself.

I generally ride for pleasure, head clearing and a bit of fitness. I get up extra early on weekends to avoid high traffic. So when I saw a tall, youngish and seemingly gorgeous (didn't make out her face) brunette with similarly attractive dog, naturally it peeked some interest. Unfortunately, she didn't even bother checking on me after my fall and zoomed out of the area. So there's that.
Old 05-21-23, 05:22 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Root Cause Category: Human Error
Root Cause Statement: "...and observing the younger and more interesting female..."

I think all us men have made that mistake in judgement in the past. I learned the hard way too......
Likes For drlogik:
Old 05-22-23, 09:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Dogs....
yup, especially fun off leash

this one bit me!
Old 05-22-23, 09:52 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I took it as blaming himself for being distracted.

Having crashed a motor scooter 50 years ago for pretty much the same reason. Watching girls from my HS clad in soccer shorts enroute to the field instead of watching the road. Missed seeing that large branch in the road. Felt so stupid that it would be decades before I would admit to anyone what the actual cause of the crash was.

My uncle recently had the scooter restored but I've yet to see it in it's new glory. He's getting to old to ride it (crippling arthritis), so I could probably get it back if I wanted. Hopefully I would now be older and wiser.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-27-23, 12:11 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Huffy RedRock (first bike), Aostimotor S17 ebike

Uneventful 20 mile ride this morning. Barely any people, let along dog ladies, but more wild animals. Chipmunk decided to cross the path in front of me, but I decided it wasn't worth killing myself. He made it inches from my wheel. Hooray for holiday weekend!
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 05-27-23, 12:55 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 849 Posts
Uneventful 20 mile ride this morning. Barely any people, let along dog ladies, but more wild animals. Chipmunk decided to cross the path in front of me, but I decided it wasn't worth killing myself. He made it inches from my wheel. Hooray for holiday weekend!
i have killed a few gophers (ground squirrels) when they decided to cross and then cross back in front of me. you can barely feel them as you roll over them.
Old 05-27-23, 06:05 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
i have killed a few gophers (ground squirrels) when they decided to cross and then cross back in front of me. you can barely feel them as you roll over them.
I was brought up in a time when if you killed it you better eat it. Want not waste not. There are children starving in 3rd world countries. All them great lessons. How'd it taste?
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 05-28-23, 05:43 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Young ladies are definitely a Potential distraction, but squirrels are a definite hazard. Sometimes one can roll right over them---I have seen, on one occasion, the squirrel got grabbed by the spokes and flipped five feet in the air---interesting to have to avoid a flying squirrel---but sometimes they don't offer enough traction and can spill a rider.

I have yet to run over a young lady, so I have no reports as to possible outcomes. I can say that I have made an ass of myself over young ladies .... so the OP has my sympathy.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-28-23, 09:53 AM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Well at least you got that out of the way ,,, But why weren't those women at home cleaning and cooking dinner ?
Old 05-28-23, 10:00 AM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
I was brought up in a time when if you killed it you better eat it. Want not waste not. There are children starving in 3rd world countries. All them great lessons. How'd it taste?
I hit a little girl because of that , she crossed and she immediately turned around and ran back caught her with the handle bars to the back and I went flying the other way , I got the worst of it ,,, So when it comes to kids and animals got to pay attention ,,,,,,
Old 05-28-23, 10:07 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Even a little fall can be disastrous.... Look Out!

Glad ya made it... Even if your not on the water those Sirens can be a bugger...

Old 05-28-23, 02:45 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Saw that firsthand in Colorado along I-70. Guy was strapping a roadkill elk down on the hood of his pickup.
I did not see the vehicle that was likely totalled.

Originally Posted by SpedFast
Old 05-28-23, 03:12 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Fell off the bike this morning, while riding. Two ladies were standing with their dogs on opposite sides of a trail, so I assumed they were letting me pass. While I was passing and observing the younger and more interesting female, the other lady decided to get back on the trail into my path. I avoided hitting the dog by a few inches, but momentum carried me off the bike and I rolled off the trail. Got away with a decent scrape on the palm and a thumb sprain. I hit the shoulder too, but so far don't feel any issues. Women 😂
Hey it's got nothing to do with gender....Just today I had two men who were walking their dogs stop right in the middle of a bike path so that their dogs could play and socialize together. Silly low testosterone males...Normally I slow down and announce myself in those type of situations but this time I just jumped off the path and passed them riding on the grass.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-28-23, 06:38 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Hey it's got nothing to do with gender....Just today I had two men who were walking their dogs stop right in the middle of a bike path so that their dogs could play and socialize together. Silly low testosterone males...Normally I slow down and announce myself in those type of situations but this time I just jumped off the path and passed them riding on the grass.
Yeah these days you never know, but real men don't just stop and have their dogs "socialize" with each other. 😂
Old 05-28-23, 07:22 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
Couple of years ago on a Midnight Madness Ride ( I start the ride after Midnight) something darted from the right side of the street and then off to my left. I didn't feel a thing and since it was at the end of my ride I decided to loop around the block to see if it was at the side of the road or gone. The rabbit was still there but sadly in 2 pieces.
Old 05-28-23, 08:32 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Yeah these days you never know, but real men don't just stop and have their dogs "socialize" with each other. 😂
Just when I thought my opinion of you couldn't get any lower, you go and post this.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-29-23, 03:34 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Just when I thought my opinion of you couldn't get any lower, you go and post this.
Oh no, anyway...

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Couple of years ago on a Midnight Madness Ride ( I start the ride after Midnight) something darted from the right side of the street and then off to my left. I didn't feel a thing and since it was at the end of my ride I decided to loop around the block to see if it was at the side of the road or gone. The rabbit was still there but sadly in 2 pieces.
As I was riding this morning, more than a dozen giant turtles decided to migrate from one side of the path to the other. Hitting one would certainly cause a catastrophe. While they don't suddenly zoom in front of the wheel, I had to make a quick decision whether to pass in front or behind it.

Last edited by XxHaimBondxX; 05-29-23 at 05:06 AM.