Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help Sorting a Univega Super Strada

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-28-23, 02:22 PM
WT160

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts

I picked up a Univega Super Strada over the weekend that I'm trying to sort out. Generally, the bike is very good, but it's has some swapped out parts that I think I'd like to replace, and I have some tire clearance issues, hence my post.

The bike has (had) mostly Dura Ace components, but several things have been swapped out: the crank arms have been replaced with RX100 arms, I imagine because at some point the original non-standard thread pedals became an issue; the brake levers have been swapped out, too. I think Dia Compe AGC was standard; Exage levers are on there now. Last, the front wheel is different, with a Specialized hub.

So, I'd like to change the crank arms and brake levers. I don't have to go with Dura Ace; I think 600EX parts would be fine, but I don't know what to do about the brakes. Right now the tires on there are 20mm and clearance is fine. I tried putting a different front wheel on with a 28mm tire and it wouldn't fit. I would really like to run 28mm tires, but maybe I'll need to change calipers, or maybe it's a no-go with the frame.

How should I proceed with this bike? If I can't get 28mm tires on, I'm not sure I want to put a lot of money into it, even though I find the frame to be among the best I've owned. I was thinking that I could pick up a 600EX groupset and swap the crank arms and brakes. I could try to put back all the Dura Ace pieces, but that would get pricey.

Likes For WT160:
Old 05-28-23, 02:58 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked 6,452 Times in 3,192 Posts
Looks like a frame issue more than choice of caliper.

Remove the calipers, see if you can fit a 25mm tire that measures true, and move on. Remember, this is a vintage Super Strada ("Road") bike designed for tight clearances.
Old 05-28-23, 03:03 PM
WT160

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Looks like a frame issue more than choice of caliper.

Remove the calipers, see if you can fit a 25mm tire that measures true, and move on. Remember, this is a vintage Super Strada ("Road") bike designed for tight clearances.
I'll give it a go. I think you're right. 25mm might be the max.

On another note, I'm finding few pad options for the AGC calipers.
Old 05-28-23, 04:05 PM
Steel1

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I have same bike, with original tubular rims. Tried 25mm, but it had clearance issue. I recall it was touching both front and rear caliper, and rear brake bridge. Front fork itself had a little more clearance. Here are pics with Vittoria competition rally 23mm pumped to 100psi.

Front brake

Fork

Rear brake

Brake bridge
Old 05-28-23, 04:11 PM
WT160

Wow. That's tight.
What have you done for brake pads?
Old 05-28-23, 05:29 PM
Steel1

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I haven’t figured out the pads yet, so currently using the original ones to generally “slow me down”.
The brake arms have that round piece with offset hole that allows adjustment up/down by rotating to different positions.
I was thinking a different brake holder threaded to take a bolt would work, as long as the bolt passes thru the two round pieces with offset holes.
Please post if you come up with good solution!
Old 05-28-23, 05:42 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
It may be the best frameset you've ever owned in terms of hierarchy, but you may have relent to a 'catch and release' if it simply isn't the right road bike for you. As was said before, this is a racing machine, not a sport bike. I'd get the highest quality 23mm tires in there you can find and see if you like it. Make a decision after taking it on all of your usual rides.
Old 05-28-23, 06:16 PM
WT160

Originally Posted by Piff
It may be the best frameset you've ever owned in terms of hierarchy, but you may have relent to a 'catch and release' if it simply isn't the right road bike for you. As was said before, this is a racing machine, not a sport bike. I'd get the highest quality 23mm tires in there you can find and see if you like it. Make a decision after taking it on all of your usual rides.
Very true. I'm beginning to think it may not fit my current riding.
Old 05-28-23, 06:36 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Vittoria Corsa G2.0 tan walls in 23mm (or similarly nice tire) are likely your best bet to get the most out of the bike as far as ride quality goes. Have you ridden it at all? I'd do that and see how it does. I had a super tall Land Shark that barely fit nominal 23mm tires. Thought that would be the worst in riding around Seattle streets, but the Prestige tubing really helped things. With Dura-Ace C24 wheels, it was astonishing. So your Super Strada might be that kind of bike, or it might be a hard-running thoroughbred like its name implies.