Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eroica California 2023 - Sept. 17, 2023 in Cambria, CA

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Eroica California 2023 - Sept. 17, 2023 in Cambria, CA

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-23, 06:57 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Originally Posted by Vitma
Last post in this thread is quite a while ago. How is everyone doing in their preparation?

I still haven't heard back from the organizers about my issue that the registration does not show up but the early bird registration was booked from my account. I sent several emails to info@eroicacalifornia.com but no answers. There is a new email address (or I have not seen it before) service@eroica.cc. I send an email today. If anyone has a contact, please let me know.
If I participate, I will probably ride my Colnago Super but I am looking into changing into a 28 sprocket in the back with a Super Record Derailleur.
I did the early registration and it shows up on my Eroica page so I guess I’m good. I did the short route last year on my 1975 Colnago Super and it worked well. I too have a 28 tooth low on the FW and a 41 small chain ring. The Campagnolo NR handles it easily . I have also used that gearing on a bike with second generation SR , so either way works. Just remember to move the rear axel back as far as possible. I sometimes remove the spring and install it on the outside of the drop out.
Old 05-26-23, 02:44 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Communication with the "organizers" has always required patience.

I'm taking some time off the bike in an attempt to heal an old running injury and it is killing me not riding and preparing how not to die on my Peugeot PA-10E .
Old 05-26-23, 04:50 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Communication with the "organizers" has always required patience.
That's pretty much sums it up. It has been my experience that the response is always slow no matter which sub branch. I was expecting Japan would be better but nope. Italy took has not sent me the kit for this year's membership yet and i've contacted them twice via email still crickets.
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 05-27-23, 07:57 PM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 76 Masi, 77 Colin Laing, 78 Ritchey, 80 Jack Taylor, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 92? Andy Gilmour, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 132 Posts
From a posting on the Classic Rendezvous Google Group, this from a friend who ran the Concours for years, Bob Freitas.

Finally got confirmation today the both the Swap and the Concours have been cancelled .
At this point the Rides are still on but other than that I have no further information

Thank You for the Support for all these years
BOB FREITAS
Likes For cinelliguy:
Old 05-27-23, 11:24 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Opening for a bike version of the Concorso Italiano
Old 05-28-23, 01:21 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by cinelliguy
Finally got confirmation today the both the Swap and the Concours have been cancelled .
At this point the Rides are still on but other than that I have no further information
Oh, my. That’s not good. Not good at all.
Old 05-28-23, 02:34 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Oh, my. That’s not good. Not good at all.
Indeed. Not good at all. They're throwing away the last festival elements of the event...
Likes For bibliobob:
Old 05-28-23, 06:11 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Hard Pass

Cino >>> Eroica California
Old 05-28-23, 06:40 AM
Kabuki12

Wow! If this is the direction that the organizers are going , this event will be severely compromised, IMHO. I can do the ride , if I decide to still go, but I have really nice areas much closer to home . I signed up super early so not that huge of loss if I don’t go. Hmmm….

Last edited by Kabuki12; 05-28-23 at 06:58 AM.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 05-28-23, 07:11 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Hard Pass

On the other hand, maybe they’re trying to make it more Cino-like? Next thing they’ll cancel the 17-mile lighthouse ride!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 05-28-23, 08:24 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by bibliobob
Indeed. Not good at all. They're throwing away the last festival elements of the event...
there is an element of providing less than what a person was paying for, months upfront.
Old 05-28-23, 09:52 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
there is an element of providing less than what a person was paying for, months upfront.
Especially considering that there was a substantial entry fee for the concours, IIRC.
Old 05-28-23, 10:16 AM
repechage

Not having signed up for this year, when one signed up was there a line item for the concours entry fee?
Possible convergence of lack of entries, various expenses to stage the show and swap?
Old 05-28-23, 11:56 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 1,039 Times in 321 Posts
Not having signed up for this year, when one signed up was there a line item for the concours entry fee?
Possible convergence of lack of entries, various expenses to stage the show and swap?
I signed up early and don’t remember a concours entry line item, which I would have selected.
Likes For Brad L:
Old 05-28-23, 12:32 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
So what the heck are they offering for the entry fee? Last year for the coastal route there was virtually no organized on course support except at Cayucos (including no water at the tops of the climbs) other than last minute dashes to nearby stores by conscientious volunteers. I’d rather do the ride completely self-supported…at least I’d be assured of food and water that way.
Likes For davester:
Old 05-28-23, 01:05 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
At least as much as the rides themselves, the "gathering of the tribe" aspect is what makes Eroica CA a worthwhile event. Doing things that reduce the "gathering" aspect does real damage to the overall attractiveness of the event.

I have a ticket and a hotel room, and my wife enjoys the area, so we will almost certainly go regardless, even if Eroica itself is cancelled. But the Eroica organizers are making it harder and harder to maintain any brand loyalty. I hope the event continues, but I suspect that the handwriting in on the proverbial wall.
Old 05-28-23, 02:17 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
At least as much as the rides themselves, the "gathering of the tribe" aspect is what makes Eroica CA a worthwhile event. Doing things that reduce the "gathering" aspect does real damage to the overall attractiveness of the event.

I have a ticket and a hotel room, and my wife enjoys the area, so we will almost certainly go regardless, even if Eroica itself is cancelled. But the Eroica organizers are making it harder and harder to maintain any brand loyalty. I hope the event continues, but I suspect that the handwriting in on the proverbial wall.
2022 at Goodwood in the UK was cancelled with notice but not long notice. in that case, as the entry fee was processed by the Goodwood Park, refunds were available or the money could be applied to other Goodwood events.
Likes For repechage:
Old 05-28-23, 03:13 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Bummer.
Old 05-28-23, 03:48 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Hard Pass

Us amateurs still need a ride we can at least try to pretend at.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-28-23, 05:49 PM
Kabuki12

Well, being as how I already paid , AND, Rich will be there, I think it may turn the tide for me. Heck, it may be the last one….
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 05-28-23, 06:28 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Last year, I was out riding the Nova on Saturday and didnt see one bit of the Concours Bike Show,, No one posted any pictures on Bike Forums or Video of the event on Youtube. I did catch a glimpse of the Bike Show in the background of someones video or else I wouldnt have known it even happened. ehh.

Now the bike Swap is a different story,,I picked up quite a few items on Sunday after the Lighthouse Ride and it was a good way to hangout and meet other riders.. Bummer if it doesnt happen ,Hopefullly they change their tune and decide to hold it .
Likes For Manny66:
Old 05-28-23, 06:29 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
So what the heck are they offering for the entry fee? Last year for the coastal route there was virtually no organized on course support except at Cayucos (including no water at the tops of the climbs) other than last minute dashes to nearby stores by conscientious volunteers. I’d rather do the ride completely self-supported…at least I’d be assured of food and water that way.
Yeah, that's kinda what Touroica was about, If you want a concours and swap meet event, Bob's Big Shoe in July up in North Bend, WA checks the boxes, and there's no registration fee.

Old 05-28-23, 07:58 PM
FML123

Bikes: 2018 Focus Mares CX 105 // 1984(?) Guerciotti GLX 7600 Super Record // 2021 Giant Stance 27.5” // 2022 Poseidon Redwood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
from a posting on the classic rendezvous google group, this from a friend who ran the concours for years, bob freitas.

finally got confirmation today the both the swap and the concours have been cancelled .
At this point the rides are still on but other than that i have no further information

thank you for the support for all these years
bob freitas
WHAT?! No Concourse or Swap?!
Old 05-28-23, 08:21 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
From a posting on the Classic Rendezvous Google Group, this from a friend who ran the Concours for years, Bob Freitas.

Thank You for the Support for all these years
BOB FREITAS
yes, Bob posted this on a couple of his and Steel is Real! FB pages. It is a shame and I am getting more pessimistic about the organization and management of the event. I do not know if use of the Pinedorado grounds where the event was held last is in jeopardy, or putting these two parts of the program are just too hard for the Italian organizers. The concours and swap meet, IMO, are a big part of the event for many people and, IMO, are not particularly hard to organize IF people on this side (US) were allowed to assist and help. The Money parts of registration and management of space and time are the parts that need help, plus of course, the judges and any “prizes” better than simple certificates.

here’s my info that I wrote in a message to a vintage friend:

Yeah, this info from Bob Freitas, who managed the concours the last few events as a volunteer, done as well as could be managed, last one on short notice too, posted in a couple of FB pages. AFAIK, as of May 1, all gleaned from 1 call I made to the Piedras Blancas lighthouse management and their event coordinator, Eroica had not submitted any permit applications to use Piedras Blancas Lighthouse grounds either. There are specific requirements that PBL said had to be met before they would allow Eroica to use it:

200 person limit at any time, requested detailed plans on how to meet that - ex. staggered starts and arrivals, need extra Porta-Potties on site paid for and used, sufficient bike racks (estimated at 20-25 racks holding 8-10 bikes each, this is costly to rent, transport and store, plus setup and breakdown) to ensure most all bikes do not get laid onto sensitive foliage, trash, food and crowd management including staff / volunteers to do so, paid rental of site, a percentage of registration that will use the site and short ride to cover for staff and PBL’s mission, insurance to indemnify PBL, a conservation message in any promotional materials using the PBL name, and explicit instructions and agreement that all riders on this route acknowledge the rules governing use of the site, etc.

And that’s all I can remember but I know there is more. I have the permitting application in hand but of course I have no representative power for Eroica, no budget, no estimate of previous # of riders, no estimate of current # of riders, no email list to contact and have riders sign agreements, etc. plus no assurance of manpower, vehicles, etc. I’m pretty sure I could figure out who in Central California could supply bike racks, but pickup or delivery, storage, transport, setup, management, breakdown and return are issues. Same goes for PortaPotties, Any food, water, to be provided plus personnel.

PBL were burned the last two times before 2022 and 2022 didn't help either.”

I do not have high hopes for the success or even happening of the event in September. I just don't understand why Amadeo and the Italian organizer can't allow others to help on this side, plus the issue of costs, budget, and organizing..

Last edited by mech986; 05-28-23 at 08:30 PM.
Likes For mech986:
Old 05-28-23, 09:15 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Especially considering that there was a substantial entry fee for the concours, IIRC.
Originally Posted by Brad L
I signed up early and don’t remember a concours entry line item, which I would have selected.
yes, if the registration for the concours, swap meet, vendors, etc. had been opened, there would have been check boxes/links to pay fees for each. concours and display classes had fees, IIRC, $25-35/bike. A potentially decent revenue stream even with the limited numbers and space, I think 3 concours classes something like before 1960, 60’s-70’s, and 80’s. Display was just that, any bike you wish to display but not be judged. Everyone must bring their own bike stand.

Given 25-30 bikes (could be lots more like 50/class) that would be say with Avg $30 - 30 bikes = 120 x $30 = $3600, 50/class or 200 bikes total as space permits, $6000. Certainly more than enough to pay an honorarium to judges and nice class winner’s prizes (even sourced from local Cambria vendors who donate prizes.

But judging 120-150 bikes could be way too tough and time consuming.

I absolutely agree that the concours was a fabulous event and a great way to meet and talk to the owners and other riders.

Originally Posted by davester
ironically, careful what you wish for. The spread at Cayucos for all of the medium and long riders (I’d estimate 200-250 riders?) was fabulous and the folks at the Sea Shanty have always done a great great job, even though some wondered (not me!) why serve shrimp cocktail, salmon, antipasto meats around mozzarella cheese, seared Ahi, chocolate covered strawberries, cold cuts and cheese trays, mini-quiches, Turkey croissants (bagged so I took two to go), plus packaged Kind bars, trail mix, crackers and fruit chews, plus plenty of water - but some riders complained there was NO COFFEE! And yes, public restrooms and the Cayucos pier to check out before heading off to Santa Rita climb.

Strawberries, chocolate covered strawberries, sliced oranges, seafood protein platter plus pickles, olives and beets.

Cold cuts / antipasto and cheeses, view of the seafood protein platter

Packaged snacks

Quiche and Turkey croissant sandwiches

I tell you, part of my solution for Piedras Blancas route is to have people sign up to short route Cayucos, leaving at 8:30-9:30 staggered and either head north first, exit past Shell station/Windsor, turn back south climb PCH hill, then head south to Cayucos and back 32 miles RT, 1600 ft climb, or climb out on Main Street south, 30 Mile RT, 1400 ft climb, saving and using what is left or another round of Sea Shanty food for another 250+ riders.

Do the same for Piedras Blancas but have those riders (easy ride) just head north out of town, or (harder) climb out on main St. southward past Cambria Grammar School, and onto Main/PCH, then head north down the PCH hill and northward. Also staggered, would delay them for at least 30 minutes more and add 3-4 miles. Food provided more by Cambria vendor like Linn’s and others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.