Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

KMC quick link question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

KMC quick link question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-23, 03:12 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
...not sure what you mean dropped it on the ground and it came apart? If you were taking it off it should have been apart? If it were together on the chain how did you drop it on the ground? maybe I am not understanding what happened thanks
The Pin came out of the plate on 1/2 of the link. I was really surprised because up till that point I really saw no reason not to reuse them. On checking my other bicycles I found two loose pins as well. One of them was a KMC and the other a generic knockoff. I don't remove my chains very often so using a new link each time is not a big deal. If I were removing the chains more often, like when Waxing, then I would invest in Brand Name Shimano quick links...
Old 05-28-23, 03:30 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Pins require a tool as well. If you are using replacement pins from Shimano, you are probably okay. If you are pushing the pin out and re-installing the pin on just about any modern chain, you are risking the chain pulling apart. Even a single use quick link that has been use more than once won’t pull apart resulting in a broken chain. The link may be easy to pull apart and can be done without tools but it won’t pull apart under load like a pin that has had the peen removed can.
Exactly. If a quick link requires a tool also, I may as well just stick with pins. I already have a good chain tool for the bench, and my multitools all have a chain tool. I only use Shimano chains and brand new pins, and always carry a couple of spare pins in my bag. Like you pointed out, pushing the pin out and back in is a recipe for failure.
Old 05-28-23, 03:54 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Yes, not all quick links are single use. They make both types. All of the KMC X8, X9 and Z series links I've used are re-usable and it's stated on the packaging. Same with SRAM PC-830/50/70 and PC-950/51/71. Wippermans Connex link also.

https://www.kmcchain.com/en/teach/missinglink
https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cn-plnk-9spd-a1

SRAMS have remained consistent in their actuation since they've been around. KMC has varied. Yes, I concur that it's not a great feeling to connect the missing link and it goes together with little effort. Their links they included in a box of 25 X9's however were different, they were so tight I couldn't get any one the together by hand and I had no quick link plier as I never needed one. KMC ended up replacing them, but the new ones weren't much better so I bought a Bikehand quick link plier and that worked. I don't really bother taking chains off one installed anyways as I ride the factory lube as long as I can, with consistent chain wipe downs. Then it's WD-40 and consistent wipe downs for the life of the chain. Been there done that with the religious chain cleaning thing.
Old 05-28-23, 05:26 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Exactly. If a quick link requires a tool also, I may as well just stick with pins.
Even the ones that *theoretically* require a tool can be opened with a piece of brake cable (see
for the general idea). There are many variations on this theme using shoelaces, dental floss, paper clips, etc. There are many other ways to do it using ordinary pliers. Since the most likely scenario is taking the chain apart at home for routine maintenance, an inexpensive link pliers probably isn't a terribly radical idea. I like having the ability to do chain service anywhere, so I carry a small Wolf Tooth tool with a couple spare (used) quick links in it. I've only ever used it (away from home) to fix other riders' chains.
Old 05-28-23, 06:31 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3504 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Thanks for that. That's the ease of use I'm looking for. I ordered one from Amazon and I'll try it on my next chain.
I love mine. I honestly wonder why people use anything other than Connex.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-28-23, 07:32 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Originally Posted by smd4
I honestly wonder why people use anything other than Connex.
Well, to be fair, unless you always buy Wippermann chains, you'll have another kind of quick link to use up.
I *do* agree with you about Connex though... the spares I carry are all Connex.
Old 05-28-23, 07:36 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by sweeks
Well, to be fair, unless you always buy Wippermann chains, you'll have another kind of quick link to use up.
I *do* agree with you about Connex though... the spares I carry are all Connex.
I only use Dura Ace chains.

I’m really surprised at the cost difference for Connex links between different speeds. The 9 speed version that I use is $4 or $5 bucks. For 11 speed they’re at least $25!!
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-28-23, 07:47 PM
sweeks

The 9 speed version that I use is $4 or $5 bucks. For 11 speed they’re at least $25!!
I'm arrested at the 9-speed stage... this makes me feel somewhat good about that!
Likes For sweeks:
Old 05-28-23, 07:54 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by sweeks
I'm arrested at the 9-speed stage... this makes me feel somewhat good about that!
Same.
Old 05-28-23, 08:44 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
One thing to consider is the proliferation of counterfeit KMC chains. I think this is especially true for the X10 10sp model. Possibly this could be a reason for a problem with the quick links.

Best to search on this topic and learn how to reveal a counterfeit KMC chain. Two of my X10 chains I was preparing to install both shook out as fakes.
Old 05-28-23, 10:16 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
One thing to consider is the proliferation of counterfeit KMC chains. I think this is especially true for the X10 10sp model. Possibly this could be a reason for a problem with the quick links.

Best to search on this topic and learn how to reveal a counterfeit KMC chain. Two of my X10 chains I was preparing to install both shook out as fakes.

Good point. I was following a BF thread about the counterfeit KMCs. It's hard to imagine enough profit being made from a lowly chain, but I assume the bad guys rely on volume.
Old 05-28-23, 10:17 PM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
I only use Dura Ace chains.

I’m really surprised at the cost difference for Connex links between different speeds. The 9 speed version that I use is $4 or $5 bucks. For 11 speed they’re at least $25!!
At that rate, I'd hate to see the cost for a 12-speed version (if they offer one).
Old 05-29-23, 01:26 AM
daniell

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
I think that in respect to SRAM chains, the quick link can be used multiple times on their chains 9 speed and below. Ten speed and above, they are one time use.