Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Screw on Presta pump

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Screw on Presta pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-23, 10:13 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 1,810 Times in 820 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
and perhaps reaping a date.

Whew. There's an "e" there.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 05-19-23, 06:25 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3499 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I happily use both Schresta and Prader, depending on the bike.

Now, I feel lost and alone, between two warring tribes, a member of each, yet not a member at all.

Fortunately, I'm used to this lonesome alienation...
You're a semi-elitist.
Old 05-19-23, 06:29 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by bkelly
A
I ordered the screw on presta adapter suggested by smd4. It arrived today and was tested. As soon at the pump head is clamped on it starts leaking. Specifically, when the clamping lever is pulled up it starts leaking. The little screw knob on the presta valve was backed off about halfway, same result. I cannot stop the leaking..
Something is definitely wrong. Possibly with your pump, but likely with your technique. This simply shouldn't be happening. Presta valves don't leak unless something is pushing down on the valve head. And this wouldn't happen using a proper chuck.
Old 05-19-23, 06:29 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
Sounds like there's at least some user error with the original pump but I love Lezyne and have two floor pumps for the house/garage and one mini pump for the ride. Never have to guess again whether I've got a good seal. Some regular flip chucks work great initially but over time the seal wears out and it becomes finicky. To be fair the Lezyne threaded chucks can wear out too but it takes longer to wear in my experience and they're easy to replace when needed.
Old 05-19-23, 07:28 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,397 Times in 2,739 Posts
May be obvious to most, but a pump with a flexible hose can usually accept other brands of head with the help of a small worm gear hose clamp.
Old 05-19-23, 09:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6179 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Perhaps the OP is pushing the air chuck too far down on the valve before moving the locking lever. The air chuck shouldn't engage the presta valve core at all. At least not on the ones that I've used. Air pressure alone is all that is needed to open the presta valve once it's unscrewed. It is a good habit to burp the valve prior to putting the air chuck on as sometimes they get sticky.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-19-23, 09:17 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Iride01
It is a good habit to burp the valve prior to putting the air chuck on as sometimes they get sticky.
Funny you should mention that. I, too, always tap the presta valve once unscrewed, but in decades of doing this on my bike and others', not once has the valve been sticky. I don't know why I continue to do it, but I do. Probably another old bike wives' tale.
Old 05-19-23, 09:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6179 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Funny you should mention that. I, too, always tap the presta valve once unscrewed, but in decades of doing this on my bike and others', not once has the valve been sticky. I don't know why I continue to do it, but I do. Probably another old bike wives' tale.
Not a wives' tale. I finally after all these years currently have a presta valve core that is sticky. Don't know why but it is. If I forget to burp it, then I have to put all my 175 lbs on the pump to get it to open. And that's not easy to do, so I usually take off the air chuck and burp it like I should have done originally.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-19-23, 11:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,397 Times in 2,739 Posts
I always burp the valve and assumed everyone did until a friend was having (now that I remember) maybe the same issue as OP. Good call and maybe that will solve OP's problem.
Old 05-19-23, 12:04 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Try replacing the valve core?
Old 05-20-23, 07:40 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Do not drill out rims!

Drilling a larger hole to fit a Schrader valve weakens the rim, making the valve hole a future failure site.

Presta valves were developed precisely because they required smaller diameter holes in the rim.
While I would personally follow your advice and not drill out a hole, beng1 's claim that it has lasted 20 years seems to suggest it's not that big of an issue. I have seen rim models offer both presta and schrader versions, so I imagine at least those would be capable of being drilled out (if done properly).
Old 05-20-23, 07:49 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 1,810 Times in 820 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
While I would personally follow your advice and not drill out a hole, beng1 's claim that it has lasted 20 years seems to suggest it's not that big of an issue. I have seen rim models offer both presta and schrader versions, so I imagine at least those would be capable of being drilled out (if done properly).
I've used a Schrader-drilled narrow Rigida 1320 for 40+ years around here, along with other narrow rims (Mavic, Alex, Weinmann, etc.) with holes for chubby valves.

Several of these rims have failed, but at a sidewall or spoke hole, not at the valve hole.
Old 05-20-23, 08:44 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I've used a Schrader-drilled narrow Rigida 1320 for 40+ years around here, along with other narrow rims (Mavic, Alex, Weinmann, etc.) with holes for chubby valves.

Several of these rims have failed, but at a sidewall or spoke hole, not at the valve hole.
I meant to respond to terrymorse 's comment about people drilling it out themselves at home, but yeah I get it.
Old 05-24-23, 11:59 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
While I would personally follow your advice and not drill out a hole, beng1 's claim that it has lasted 20 years seems to suggest it's not that big of an issue.
Based on photos of beng1 bikes, he's probably drilling out cheaper rims with plenty of metal to spare. Lucky for him.

But not all rims are beefy, and aluminum in particular doesn't last long when highly stressed. I repeat my caution against drilling out rims. Especially a lightweight road rim, such as the Mavic MA40:

Mavic Ma40 rim cross section

Of course, there will always be the requisite "I did this and it didn't fail" responses. Personally, I would not take the chance on such a repetitively stressed part.

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-24-23 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-24-23, 11:39 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Based on photos of beng1 bikes, he's probably drilling out cheaper rims with plenty of metal to spare. Lucky for him.

But not all rims are beefy, and aluminum in particular doesn't last long when highly stressed. I repeat my caution against drilling out rims. Especially a lightweight road rim, such as the Mavic MA40:

Of course, there will always be the requisite "I did this and it didn't fail" responses. Personally, I would not take the chance on such a repetitively stressed part.
Good point. It's a risk no matter who you are, but I would hope anyone attempting it would at least know what they're doing. I don't, so I won't.
Old 05-28-23, 12:51 PM
ExtremeSquared

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
There is no realistic weakening from widening a hole in any but the narrowest road rims.

It's pretty common on the touring side of things for the sake of replacement tube compatibility, and touring loads push wheel components to their limits.

However, I personally recommend this over a drill. "Hand reamer." Hand reaming from presta to tight schraeder takes two minutes if you're being careful.
Likes For ExtremeSquared:
Old 05-28-23, 01:14 PM
JenkemSuperfan

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can't quite because I'm new. An earlier user mentioned an adapter to use air chucks with frame pumps, where could I find one?
Old 05-28-23, 02:04 PM
ExtremeSquared

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Vaguely related to the original question...
Crank bros makes a screw on presta mini pump, sort of.
The hose-pump interface is click-in magnetic, so you just screw the whole mini hose onto the valve, then attach it to pump.
I'm testing the reliability of this pump now. It's hard to say whether it's a good / durable design.
Old 05-30-23, 08:00 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Lezyne floor and mini pumps are the best for the money, followed by Topeak. Sure, Silca makes a great pump, but they start at $150, whereas with the Lezyne you can get a similar quality steel floor pump for half the cost of the Silca, and like the Silca it's rebuildable. Lezyne mini pumps are the best in the world, they pump up tires faster than the competitors using less strokes to do so. If you want a frame pump, go with the Topeak Road Masterblaster, the Zefal frame pump was probably a tad better but it's no longer being made, and the Silca offering is way overboard on price. With a frame pump you do have to measure your frames inside dimensions from the seat tube to the headtube to get the correct fit.
Old 05-30-23, 08:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4793 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by JenkemSuperfan
Can't quite because I'm new. An earlier user mentioned an adapter to use air chucks with frame pumps, where could I find one?
See my post #24, last page.
Old 05-30-23, 09:27 PM
rc5781

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Personally, I find them fiddly and prefer a pump with a press-on head and locking lever.
I can't believe I'm quoting and agreeing with shelbyfv but for presta valves I use a press-on with locking lever and it has never failed me.

May I recommend this based on a quick search from one of my favorite vendors:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AUDEW-Bik...5?from=/search
Old 05-31-23, 12:36 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I have this pump to mount my tubeless tires. It works great for that. It screws onto the presta valve like you want. If I am not trying to seat my tubeless tires I never use this pump though. I find it a hassle to screw on the presta valve vs the other floor pumps that just kind on cinch down over the valve. This might work for your tire though.

Digital Pressure Over Drive 2.5