Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Frames that should never be built.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-18-23, 06:20 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts

my nomination.. A steel Schwinn Ranger MTB... The Medium sized frame weighs 8.9 Lbs, totally stripped. The pogo stick fork that came on it weighs in at 5.2 Lbs.... PORKY. I'd guess the assembled weight of the entire bike at somewhere north of 37 lbs... including the extra-thick Slimed tubes someone installed.......
Old 05-18-23, 09:29 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 106 Posts
Be careful, don't let AdventureManCO hear you say that or he might take it as a challenge.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 05-18-23, 10:36 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 1,665 Times in 761 Posts
The 1983 Chicago-forged Schwinn Sidewinder I sold last month at the Tucson swap would probably scoff at the Ranger: "Lightweight." That steel beast was about 15 lbs as a bare frame / fork / headset / stem / seatpost. But archaeologists thousands of years from now will examine it as one of the few surviving relics from our culture and wonder how we were able to forge such a durable artifact.

I routinely ride a Chicago Schwinn cruiser with Wald baskets, steel fenders, and a 7-speed IGH that tips the scales at nearly 60 lbs before you even add a water bottle, toolbag, or human. But I don't mind riding it, as it has relatively light wheels, it's fun, comfortable, and provides a quality workout on a per-hour or per-mile basis. But I probably won't select that particular bike for a crit or time trial. It all works out. And then when I get on any lighter bike, it certainly feels faster.
Old 05-18-23, 11:41 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Picked up one of those Rangers for nearly free, when Twelve (now Fifteen) decided he wanted to learn to ride a "real" two -wheeler when he outgrew his adaptive bike..
For a $250 retail (until recently) bike for a teen/ tween to toss around the neighborhood it does the job.
"Universal 26 MTB" tough enough to take some abuse and V-brake 3x7 is . pretty easy to keep working happily. Also fairly simple/ standard enough for teaching said teen/tweens about how to look after their own bikes.
Also inexpensive enough that you don't have to worry so much about it on the bike rack when they want to ride it to class.

I had a Murray BAJA when I was his age. That bike should never have been built.
​​​​​
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 05-19-23, 07:41 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,358 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
Be careful, don't let AdventureManCO hear you say that or he might take it as a challenge.

Hahahahaha

'Ooooh, pick me! Pick me!'

I'm so happy to see my name is getting around for all the wrong reasons

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 05-20-23, 01:16 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Swing bikes

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-20-23 at 01:20 AM.
Likes For Wildwood: