Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New Giant CoMax 1's for Mr. and Mrs. DowneasTTer

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-15, 03:00 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts

My wife and I moved to Florida in 2010 and decided that after 18 years on a couple of old hybrids we needed new bikes. So we purchased a couple of Giant Escape RX 0's. You can follow that thread here.https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...pe-rx-0-a.html. Well after over 8k miles and 13 months of use we decided to look at the new carbon fiber model…. the Escape RX Composite. You can follow that thread here: https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...e-owner-s.html. We have ridden the RXs 18K miles in the past 2 years and time has come for us to upgrade again. We wanted to try disc brakes and 11 speed shifting. A BIG problem for us was that we both use a rear rack from time to time. That’s seems to be a no-no from manufacturers. While in my LBS last week I noticed the shop owner had a Giant CoMax 2 in stock. It looked interesting and I was surprised to see molded in inserts on in the rear and one where a rear brake mount would be. So…… seeing though the CoMax1 uses the same frame we made a great deal with the LBS for two 2016 CoMax 1’s (large for me and small for Mrs. DowneasTTer).

I figured I’d start this thread on the CoMax1’s and update as time goes on. Here are a few pictures of the CoMax’s.

Being built at the LBS

Home after the first 40 mile ride

The drive side of the small

The non-drive side of the small

The front view

The cockpit

The drive train

The rear disc brake and rack mount

The front disc brake and fork

Last edited by DowneasTTer; 04-23-22 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Add the pictures back
Old 10-03-15, 06:26 PM
Jimv03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bikes! Please keep the pictures and comments coming. I am very interested in getting this bike for myself and would love to hear your impressions of it..
Old 10-05-15, 02:46 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

As of today the CoMax's have 135 miles on them. So far they are great. While maybe a half a pound more (ride weight... racks, bottle cages, etc) than the RX Composite's they pedal easier. That might be due to the tire size (stock 25s) as the RX's had 28's. But whatever Giant did a great job keeping the weight down especially when you consider the CoMax has disc brakes. Next trip to the LBS for cable adjustment (later this week) and i'll be able to post the current weight. Forgot to when we picked them up.... my bad. The one thing that kinda bugs me is that Giant as well as others will use mixed series parts on the drive train. This is the case with the CoMax 1's. They advertise an 11 speed Shimano system (which to my mind means 105's on the low end) and then spec out 105 cassettes, front and rear deraileurs. But use a low end RS500 crankset. So a trip to Amazon for my Ergon GP3 grips and a couple of 5800 105 cranks. Should be here later this week and will update the thread when this little upgrade is done.
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 10-05-15, 04:34 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I saw the bikes (and riders) on the bike trail this morning. Great looking bikes.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-07-15, 02:12 PM
DowneasTTer

The bikes have a little 250 miles on then and all is well. Our lights came in and I mounted the Edge 1000 so now waiting for the cranksets. Which will be here on Friday and the Ergon GP3 grips which are currently on back order. Here is a picture of both the bikes today while we were taking a short break at Liberty Park in Inverness right off the Withlacoochee State Trail. This is the first ride that we used the racks to carry snacks and jackets. Notice on the close-up of the front of my bike the plant harvester working to remove some of the invasive plants growing in Lake Henderson.

Old 03-03-18, 07:01 AM
SlinkyWizard

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.5, Giant Fastroad Comax 1 2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Awesome looking bike, can't wait for mine to arrive.
Old 06-04-20, 11:47 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
i love this thread and im so sad the pictures are missing!!! DowneasTTer any change of you putting the pictures back up? (sorry im reviving a zombie thread)
Old 04-23-22, 01:43 PM
DowneasTTer

Originally Posted by sh00k
i love this thread and im so sad the pictures are missing!!! DowneasTTer any change of you putting the pictures back up? (sorry im reviving a zombie thread)
Well a little late to the party but here you go. see above edited post with the pictures back.
Old 04-23-22, 01:56 PM
DowneasTTer

I haven't posted to this thread in quite awhile. So a little time for an update. Since doing a major update to the bikes back in fall of 18 see thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...comax-1-s.html) they haven't been used much. Shortly after the update we purchased a couple of Canyon RoadLite 9 LTDs see (https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...roadlites.html) as our main rides. The Giants kinda were back up bikes and travel bikes. Though with CoVid we haven't traveled with our motorhome much. Hopefully that will change this summer. Anyway the reason for this posting it to bring our ownership of the CoMax 1's to a close. We just ordered a couple Litespeed Cherohala City Ti bikes with upgrades similar to the Roadlites see (https://litespeed.com/products/cherohala-city). These are for our 50 anniversary and should arrive within the next few weeks. Once that happens the CoMaxs will be all cleaned up, adjusted and put up for sale. We have really enjoyed the Giants one the past 7 years and they are still great bikes. While Giant hasn't changed much on these over the years except the name and the cost.
Old 04-24-22, 11:54 PM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
Well a little late to the party but here you go. see above edited post with the pictures back.
I'm so happy to hear from you my friend!! hope you and your wife are doing well and enjoying life <3
Old 05-29-22, 09:41 AM
DowneasTTer

Time to say goodbye to the CoMax's, yesterday I listed them for sale on our local HOA board and Facebook Marketplace. These have been great bikes from the start and when we purchased the Canyon Roadlites they become our travel and backup bikes. Been all over the US and Atlantic Canada. However, we decided instead of taking two sets of bikes with us for traveling (the hybrids and the mountain bikes) we would look for a bike that could truly do both. With us in our 70's we really don't do mountains, single track or the like anymore. But, not quite up to riding on the gravel roads and carriage trails we often find ourselves on with 25-30mm tires. So in looking for replacements we needed something that could take wider tires as well as the 30s we like for paved trails. I posted a thread on our replacement Litespeeds. BTW within 30 minutes the large CoMax was sold off the FB. Now the small is looking for a home.
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 06-03-22, 11:07 AM
DowneasTTer

Mrs. Downeastter's small CoMax just sold off Craigslist today. It's fitting as today is our 50th anniversary and the new Litespeed’s will be taking over as travel bikes. You can follow their story on this thread if interested: https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...wneastter.html.
Likes For DowneasTTer: