Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fork upgrade/rebuild/compatibility??

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fork upgrade/rebuild/compatibility??

Old 02-06-21, 11:18 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I'm relatively sold on coil rear shocks for a lot of trail bikes. Shocks are driven by complex linkages that usually create a progressive leverage rate. On a fork the primary concern is that spring is driven linearly with travel and so the very linear nature of a coil fork means that there's a tendency to blow through travel and have a harsh bottom out. The Ribbon Coil forks do have a ramp control for bottom out feel, however the fork may feel less supported pumping through corners than a air sprung fork, although careful compression tuning could help. Might feel really nice if you mostly don't go too deep in your travel and want something really supple. It's a matter of taste, mostly.
Likes For cpach:
Old 02-09-21, 12:03 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
I'm relatively sold on coil rear shocks for a lot of trail bikes. Shocks are driven by complex linkages that usually create a progressive leverage rate. On a fork the primary concern is that spring is driven linearly with travel and so the very linear nature of a coil fork means that there's a tendency to blow through travel and have a harsh bottom out. The Ribbon Coil forks do have a ramp control for bottom out feel, however the fork may feel less supported pumping through corners than a air sprung fork, although careful compression tuning could help. Might feel really nice if you mostly don't go too deep in your travel and want something really supple. It's a matter of taste, mostly.
If I am being super honest, it just seemed like this fork is the best value I could find and I was intrigued by it being a coil fork.... For the price I am getting it at, I can definitely get my $ back if I hate it, and if I love it, MRP will do the Chololuxe upgrade for $160!!

What you say makes perfect sense though, I think I might like it, I currently only ride a rigid bike so I am used to unloading my front end over the rough stuff and I don't do "big hits"

Last edited by davei1980; 02-09-21 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-09-21, 05:36 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I would not buy a low end fork with the plan to upgrade it.

However, sometimes just buying an older high end fork and doing a rebuild will get you a very nice fork for not a lot of money.

A few years ago I paid $220 for a 2013 Lyrik DPA. For $60 in service kit parts and some fluids, I had a functionally like-new fork that cost over $900 new.

Main thing is to be sure the lower leg bushings are not shot. Also needs to have the right standards for what you are working with (steer tube, axle size, etc)
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-09-21, 05:39 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
NONE of this makes any sane economic sense if you have to pay anyone else to do pretty much any of the work. You'll need to invest at least a little in appropriate tooling to do any of this, although it's not necessarily that bad depending on the exact fork. Should probably get the right dust seal press, some good circlip pliars, maybe need a damper bleed kit, some Knipex flat pliars are useful for many of the thin, flat wrench surfaces if you don't have specific tools, etc.
That's the worst part about forks. You need a ton of specific tools. And I should send my fork off to get it rebuilt, because mountain bikes are high maintenance.
Old 02-10-21, 10:55 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I would not buy a low end fork with the plan to upgrade it.

However, sometimes just buying an older high end fork and doing a rebuild will get you a very nice fork for not a lot of money.

A few years ago I paid $220 for a 2013 Lyrik DPA. For $60 in service kit parts and some fluids, I had a functionally like-new fork that cost over $900 new.

Main thing is to be sure the lower leg bushings are not shot. Also needs to have the right standards for what you are working with (steer tube, axle size, etc)
That's kind of the path I am headed down with the MRP Ribbon Coil from 2018 + Chocoluxe update
Old 02-10-21, 11:43 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
That's the worst part about forks. You need a ton of specific tools. And I should send my fork off to get it rebuilt, because mountain bikes are high maintenance.
With all the Rock Shox forks I have rebuilt (Pike, Reba, Lyrik) the only special tools I needed are snap ring pliers (small and large tipped). A large socket (24mm I think) is nice for the top caps, but a crescent wrench works. The large tipped (0.09" / 2.3mm) snap ring pliers are the only tool that I need to look around on-line for (HD / Lowes did not have them).
Likes For Kapusta: