Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help! Suntour/sugino rd has no tension

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-21, 06:24 PM
3dvvitch 
Junior Wingnut

Bikes: 1988 Litespeed, some Lemond, Slingshot 650c, blah blah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 16 Posts

HI folks, I just got this Sugino75 rd delivered, but having just now mounted it on a hanger it has no return tension (Velobase says that, mechanically, the Sugino75 rd is a mix between Superbe and Superbe Pro iirc).

How easy is it to replace the tension spring? Do I just need a spanner for those slots on either side of the mounting bolt? Will it be possible for me to find a replacement spring (assuming that's what it needs) - or should I try to initiate a return on this and find something else? Thanks!

EDIT: Now I'm confused- this diagram depicts the mounting bolt and not as not having any associated spring mechanism, just a washer. Am I crazy? Is that not supposed to be a sprung pivot point in this design?

Http://mauisvintage.blogspot.com/2010/08/suntour-superbe-pro-rear-derailleur.html?m=1

Last edited by 3dvvitch; 06-17-21 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-17-21, 06:34 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nto-place.html

​​​​​​
Old 06-17-21, 06:35 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I've no experience with Superbe or Superbe Pro, but no Suntour I've ever had my hands on has had a sprung upper pivot.

I had to go and look - that assembly looks exactly like my ~1977 Cyclone GT.
Likes For DiegoFrogs:
Old 06-17-21, 06:38 PM
3dvvitch 
Junior Wingnut

Bikes: 1988 Litespeed, some Lemond, Slingshot 650c, blah blah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DiegoFrogs
I've no experience with Superbe or Superbe Pro, but no Suntour I've ever had my hands on has had a sprung upper pivot.

I had to go and look - that assembly looks exactly like my ~1977 Cyclone GT.
Ohhhh, I'm still a newbie with a lot of this stuff. I've never encountered a derailleur that lacked a sprung upper pivot.

Old 06-17-21, 06:47 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
The B-screw is screwed into the upper knuckle of the derailleur. Under normal circumstances, the chain tension pulls that screw's end against the derailleur hanger's notch - it's free-moving. Later (I think) Shimano designs incorporate a sprung pivot there to allow the guide pulley to better track the cogs a bit.

In a way it's nice, though. With the wheel removed it's easy to move it out of the way by hand. It also simplifies it, and that function doesn't add much value on a friction shifting bike, anyway.
Likes For DiegoFrogs:
Old 06-17-21, 08:03 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
I'm in the group that thinks there is no upper pivot spring in that derailleur. You should be able to unscrew that locknut on the back of the bolt and verify this.

I do have some later SunTour derailleurs that have sprung upper pivots, but they look different....

Steve in Peoria
Old 06-18-21, 08:50 AM
Iniezione 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
It may not be the case here, but I had a Suntour derailleur that was shifting horribly. Return tension was almost non existent. After taking it apart, I discovered super hard grease inside around the spring. A good cleaning and fresh grease, and it was back to normal.