Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Website blocking users on a VPN

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 01-14-20, 11:24 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts

I just setup my own private vpn server with a VPC provider and the site is banning the ASN the IP of my vpn server. What gives?
Old 01-14-20, 11:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
I can imagine dealing with corporate VPNs.

However, this private VPN over a commercial service sounds like a method that international spammers may mask their IP addresses.

Are you a single user, or setting up a network for multiple users?

My guess is that your success with this website, as well as others will depend on whether you can have a dedicated outbound IP address for your network.
Old 01-15-20, 10:24 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Clifford is correct. Our security software bans a lot of VPNs associated with spam activities.
Old 01-15-20, 11:29 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
It's not a commercial vpn. It's a cloud server I spun up on vultr and installed my own vpn software. I used to use private internet access but with all the hacks and concerns recently I just decided to spin my own.

This is as legit as it gets. I pay monthly for a cloud server instance with a legit provider and run my own server. Many businesses use VPC providers to house their servers like AWS, digital ocean, vultr, etc so it seems strange to block the ip ranges of those providers.
Old 01-15-20, 10:31 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Let me ask an honest question: Why do you need this for BF? And doesn't this imply you have something to hide in addition to keeping away from? Please, assess whet you are wanting a VPN for. It's NOT for remaining 'anonymous'. It may just sound neato.

And certain IP addresses are blocked because stuff oozes from them, period. As you were told, they get blocked here for several reasons, the main reason being BF got cooties there before or something. Protecting the integrity of this site (or any other) is above all other considerations.

Think about it awhile and it will make sense to you. You have to work with the site's rules, not the other way around. Internet freedom is for the site (as long as they are legal) and it's users uphold it's freedoms (or rights).