Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Alternate Offline Mapping Options

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-07-22, 09:04 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts

I'm a long-term user of Maps.Me (formerly MapsWithMe). It's (it was) a handy reference to store and access various day routes I ride as well as touring routes.

To load a route into Maps.Me I typically develop a route in RWGPS and then export a KML file. I then email it to myself, open the kml file on my cell phone and it auto loads into Maps.Me. Within Maps.Me I see all my routes in the Bookmarks area. In years past, up until yesterday morning when it updated, I could toggle on and off a route by going into Bookmarks and tapping a check box to the left of a route and a blue checkmark would show. The route would then be visible on the map. To turn off the route visibility..go to Bookmarks and tap the checkmark and the route would disappear. Easy-peasy.

As of yesterday the app updated and all of the above is pretty much hosed..no longer works. I can still load a new route my opening a kml file from my email, but turning on and off individual routes is no longer available. The only option is to turn on all the routes in my Bookmarks (I have dozens) or turn them all off. This is useless as I have multiple routes in small regions. Turning on all routes just looks like spaghetti.

So...

Has anyone figured out the new maps.me version?** if not.. What other free offline mapping apps are available? I know of Osmand. It has a limited free service. I haven't used it recently as I used Maps.Me (which had a much simpler user interface) when I needed a reference. Google has a limited offline map download, though no so user friendly(been awhile since I used it).

I don't use my cell for navigation(I have a GPS unit for this function)..the cell-app is just a backup and handy reference.

(** If you use Maps.Me DON"T let it update. I wish I could reverse the update it did yesterday)
Old 07-07-22, 09:28 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Garmin Edge Bike Computer and Garmin Connect App (Free) will do everything you need.
Old 07-07-22, 09:48 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I use routes created with RWGPS directly in RWGPS on my phone in airplane mode...not sure why I would need to load it to maps.me

Having said that - I also use Mapy.cz app which allows you to download entire countries and use the maps off line.
in some cases mapy.cz has better bike infrastructure markings. For example during my Scotland trip the EV Route numbers and dotted lines accompanied the downloaded map and could be directly zoomed into for inspection to make sure I'm on the trail or off

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 07-07-22 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-07-22, 10:15 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
IHas anyone figured out the new maps.me version?** if not.. What other free offline mapping apps are available? I know of Osmand. It has a limited free service. I haven't used it recently as I used Maps.Me (which had a much simpler user interface) when I needed a reference. Google has a limited offline map download, though no so user friendly(been awhile since I used it).
Did you ask the maps.me developer about it? Osmand is (was?) cheap. There's Guru maps, which I like, but it's kind of expensive now. There's also Pocket Earth, which is free.
Old 07-07-22, 10:18 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I use routes created with RWGPS directly in RWGPS on my phone in airplane mode...not sure why I would need to load it to maps.me.
The "is my map downloaded?" might be a bit less ambiguous for some of the other mapping programs. You can also download multiple routes and see them all on the map (not sure if you can do that with the RWGPS app).

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
Having said that - I also use Mapy.cz app which allows you to download entire countries and use the maps off line.
Like this.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-07-22 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-07-22, 10:21 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

I've been ferreting out options all morning. It appears the last time Maps.Me was sold (2020) to some holding of a holding of a holding company some of the developers split off and created an app "Organic Maps". It is, in every sense I can see, the old Maps.Me. It looks the same and functions the same.

Now to offload Maps.Me and import to Organic Maps...done.

RE..Garmin Edge..I already have a good GPS unit and don't need another. As for RWGPS app..RWGPS runs off a cell signal. I'm looking for offline map functionality. I think(?) RWGPS offline functionality is a premium service..which I don't need as I use a GPS unit for navigation. I don't like using cell phones for navigation.

For those that use Maps.Me...I think you're going to want to switch over to Organic Maps(once you experience the updated version of M.M).
Likes For fishboat:
Old 07-07-22, 10:22 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by prj71
Garmin Edge Bike Computer and Garmin Connect App (Free) will do everything you need.
The phone is a much better way to look at maps. It's cheap enough that it's a good backup.
Old 07-07-22, 12:01 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,253 Times in 724 Posts
WikiCamps lets you download maps to your phone so you do not need to be online to use them. The GPS on your phone will still function with your cell service turned off, or when you simply do not have signal. I used it for my last tour, and for someone who prefers paper maps, I liked using it. I got it to find campgrounds along the tour, and ended up using it as a map. I used it pretty much the way I would use a paper map, with the added benefit that it showed my position on the map.

https://usa.wikicamps.co
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-07-22, 12:09 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Thanks for posting this. 👍 I've been using maps.me for awhile now, and haven't updated recently. Now I think I'll just look for organic, and skip the headache. 😉
Old 07-07-22, 12:18 PM
prj71

RE..Garmin Edge..I already have a good GPS unit and don't need another. .
So then why do you need maps.me?
Old 07-07-22, 02:42 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I just turned off auto update for Maps.Me. I never used the feature that you cited, but I see no need to auto update it. But, it auto updated three days ago, thus it might have already updated to the version you have.

Maps.Me, about a decade ago that app was called Maps With Me. I paid the one-time lifetime fee to turn off all ads back then. And the ads came back, I complained to their customer support about the ads, their response was something like - you can't expect to get a lifetime without ads must because you paid a lifetime fee.
Old 07-07-22, 02:52 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I've been ferreting out options all morning. It appears the last time Maps.Me was sold (2020) to some holding of a holding of a holding company some of the developers split off and created an app "Organic Maps". It is, in every sense I can see, the old Maps.Me. It looks the same and functions the same.

Now to offload Maps.Me and import to Organic Maps...done.

RE..Garmin Edge..I already have a good GPS unit and don't need another. As for RWGPS app..RWGPS runs off a cell signal. I'm looking for offline map functionality. I think(?) RWGPS offline functionality is a premium service..which I don't need as I use a GPS unit for navigation. I don't like using cell phones for navigation.

For those that use Maps.Me...I think you're going to want to switch over to Organic Maps(once you experience the updated version of M.M).

When you sent a RWGPS map to MapsMe I assume you had WiFi or cell service ?. If you have an Edge in the 30 series (530/830/1030), you can access your RWGPS routes directly from the device using the iQ app for RWGPS or with RouteCourse. You can then download a number of routes directly to the device, and no cell or data service needed once they reside on the device.
Old 07-07-22, 03:16 PM
fishboat

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Thanks for the warning. I just turned off auto update for Maps.Me. I never used the feature that you cited, but I see no need to auto update it. But, it auto updated three days ago, thus it might have already updated to the version you have.

Maps.Me, about a decade ago that app was called Maps With Me. I paid the one-time lifetime fee to turn off all ads back then. And the ads came back, I complained to their customer support about the ads, their response was something like - you can't expect to get a lifetime without ads must because you paid a lifetime fee.
My update date appears to be 7/3/22. If your version updated you'll notice a new set of option-links on the bottom of the screen when you open the app. If you use/used it with any frequency, you'll notice differences in what options are available and where they're now located(if they exist at all). In any event, updates can't be avoided indefinitely. If you used M.M at all and liked it, then I'd take a hard look at Organic Maps..it'll look exactly the same as the old M.M from what I've seen so far. I've always used the free version of M.M (maybe 5-7 years) and have never seen an ad...one thing I liked about it.
Old 07-07-22, 03:21 PM
fishboat

Originally Posted by Steve B.
When you sent a RWGPS map to MapsMe I assume you had WiFi or cell service ?.
Nope..I extract the kml file from RWGPS and email it to myself. The open the kml file and it atot-imports to M.M. However I can now choose to auto-import it to Organic Maps.

If you have an Edge in the 30 series (530/830/1030), you can access your RWGPS routes directly from the device using the iQ app for RWGPS or with RouteCourse. You can then download a number of routes directly to the device, and no cell or data service needed once they reside on the device.
It sounds convenient, however I have no need for another GPS unit. The one I have works fine and is simple to use.

Last edited by fishboat; 07-07-22 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-07-22, 03:26 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
... I've always used the free version of M.M (maybe 5-7 years) and have never seen an ad...one thing I liked about it.
My update version is July 3. I do not think I have used that app for about three years, my last bike tour was pre-covid.

I did not use it much, I mostly used my GPS. But sometimes I wanted to see what other devices suggested for a route, so occasionally used it for that purpose.

Maybe they quit doing ads some time ago, I used it so little I might not have noticed that they quit showing ads.
Old 07-07-22, 03:30 PM
fishboat

So then why do you need maps.me?
An actual GPS unit is for navigation. In this mode it excels. With respect to viewing alternate routes or showing a buddy some routes while we have a beer...I don't carry an Edge around with me.

Like most folks..I do carry a cell phone with me while on the bike or off. With M.M loaded with various routes on the cell I can pull up the route we're riding and look around on a current (updated) map for services or maybe call an audible to change the route for some reason. I can also show a route to someone if the topic of conversation goes to riding and good routes we've taken. Some friends use their cell for navigation. In that case I can show them how routes can be followed with offline maps like those on M.M.

M.M is/was handy. Organic Maps will now be handy...once I offload M.M and uninstall it.
Old 07-07-22, 03:32 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
Mapy.cz is by far the best one I've tried. Better than Maps.me. I've been using it for years.
Old 07-07-22, 03:37 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Nope..I extract the kml file from RWGPS and email it to myself. .
In order to send an e-mail you either have WiFi or cell service.
Old 07-07-22, 03:38 PM
Steve B.

Nope..I extract the kml file from RWGPS and email it to myself. The open the kml file and it atot-imports to M.M. However I can now choose to auto-import it to Organic Maps.

It sounds convenient, however I have no need for another GPS unit. The one I have works fine and is simple to use.
Discussing this would be easier if you maybe let us know what GPS unit you are using.
Old 07-07-22, 03:44 PM
fishboat

Originally Posted by phughes
WikiCamps lets you download maps to your phone so you do not need to be online to use them. The GPS on your phone will still function with your cell service turned off, or when you simply do not have signal. I used it for my last tour, and for someone who prefers paper maps, I liked using it. I got it to find campgrounds along the tour, and ended up using it as a map. I used it pretty much the way I would use a paper map, with the added benefit that it showed my position on the map.

https://usa.wikicamps.co

Wikicamps looks cool. I wasn't aware of it. I'll have to take a good look at it.

One of the files I imported to M.M was the custom map I created by downloading data from this site:

ALL US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS LOCATOR: STATE PARKS NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS MORE california oregon washington new york pennsylvania more

It locates and gives basic amenity info for 13,000 public(not private, with public defined as county, city, US Forest Service, National Parks, Forests, Rec Areas, Army Corps of Eng, Public Utillity, State Forests, Parks.................. campgrounds) in the US and Canada. Using this map as a background I can view any route I've ever created and note where campgrounds are versus my intend/proposed route. (For planning purposes I also do this in Google My Maps prior to finalizing a route for a tour..and loading it into my GPS.) Having all this info in M.M allows a daily review of what's ahead for the next day or two in an easily managed format and screen size.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 07-07-22, 03:56 PM
fishboat

Discussing this would be easier if you maybe let us know what GPS unit you are using.

It doesn't really matter..to me at least. I use a Garmin ETREX 20. I've had it for years and use it for hiking, kayaking, and in recent years cycling. It's small and mounts on the bars. Works perfect, waterproof, long battery life, easy to toggle through various screens. I have it set up to show the track I'm following as well as speed, miles, avg speed, and direction NSEW. I've looked at regular cycling GPS units. They have lots of additional bells and whistles and connectivity to other apps to track who is king of some mountain......none of which I care about in the least. As long as I know where I am and where I'm going..I'm good.
Old 07-07-22, 05:08 PM
fishboat

OK..M.M routes have been transferred to Organic Maps ( https://organicmaps.app/ ) and M.M has been uninstalled. Yay.

M.M does a direct export of your routes to O.M. Big help and made the transfer easy.

Thx to those that responded and offered some options. I learned some new stuff..always welcome.
Old 07-08-22, 10:10 AM
prj71

Like most folks..I do carry a cell phone with me while on the bike or off. With M.M loaded with various routes on the cell I can pull up the route we're riding and look around on a current (updated) map for services or maybe call an audible to change the route for some reason. I can also show a route to someone if the topic of conversation goes to riding and good routes we've taken. Some friends use their cell for navigation. In that case I can show them how routes can be followed with offline maps like those on M.M.
You can do all of that with the Garmin Connect App that integrates with the Garmin Edge Bike computers and the App is free.
Old 07-10-22, 03:41 PM
njkayaker

You can do all of that with the Garmin Connect App that integrates with the Garmin Edge Bike computers and the App is free.
True but this required internet access. A big reason to use "offline" mapping programs is that they work without internet access.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-17-22, 05:09 PM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Herewego is pretty good. I've only used it for car nav though.

You can download entire country maps for offline use.