Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

NBD Wabi Classic

Old 09-01-20, 04:47 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
could be the clear coat? Here’s a picture of my pearl white classic, the clear is not as shiny as yours but just for comparison on the welds
I'm definitely not an expert here. Will defer to others.
Old 09-01-20, 06:37 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Yes, maybe it's just a reflection. It was your bike that I was talking about, Walnutz. Thanks.
Old 09-01-20, 08:14 PM
walnutz

Just rode it for a quick 12 miles because it might be rainy tomorrow. It definitely felt great on the road. Steering is more twitchy than I expected. Anyway, I don't want to hi-jack this thread too much, so I'll leave it at that for now. Definitely a nice ride.
Old 09-05-20, 08:23 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by walnutz
Just rode it for a quick 12 miles because it might be rainy tomorrow. It definitely felt great on the road. Steering is more twitchy than I expected. Anyway, I don't want to hi-jack this thread too much, so I'll leave it at that for now. Definitely a nice ride.
Congrats on the new ride! That green turned out nice, definitely unique and the matching bar tape highlights it perfectly.

Since you mentioned your seatpost: I swapped mine out too. Not because of the setback but because after about 3 months, whenever I hit a pothole or bump, the saddle slip and the nose would be tilted upward. I switched to a 2-bolt Ritchey seatpost and that seems to have sorted things out.

By all means, please hi-jack the thread. I only started it to share my Wabi but I'm happy to open it to any and all Wabi related things.

Last edited by sdimattia; 09-05-20 at 08:28 PM.
Likes For sdimattia:
Old 09-05-20, 08:36 PM
sdimattia

Also walnutz, I'm noticed your front brake is set up on the right. You don't live in the states?
Old 09-05-20, 09:52 PM
walnutz

Originally Posted by sdimattia
Also walnutz, I'm noticed your front brake is set up on the right. You don't live in the states?
Nope, it’s just the only lever I have. Going to set it up with drops and hoods soon.
Old 09-18-20, 12:38 PM
walnutz

By all means, please hi-jack the thread. I only started it to share my Wabi but I'm happy to open it to any and all Wabi related things.[/QUOTE]
If you insist
Finally have it more or less how I want it. It’s a great ride.

Likes For walnutz:
Old 09-18-20, 01:14 PM
sdimattia

By all means, please hi-jack the thread. I only started it to share my Wabi but I'm happy to open it to any and all Wabi related things.
If you insist

[/QUOTE]

I love the cohesion between the gumwall tires, the saddle, tape, and brake hoods! Gives it a gorgeous classic look, very sexy . . . Perfect with that green too.
Likes For sdimattia:
Old 09-18-20, 02:56 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
If you insist

[/QUOTE]

very nice!
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 09-20-20, 07:25 PM
sdimattia

jay4usc How's your Wabi coming along, white and/or blue?
Old 09-20-20, 08:39 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

jay4usc How's your Wabi coming along, white and/or blue?
bad luck? They sent me the blue bike but had issues. there was dent on the seat tube and the bearing on the front wheel popped out for some reason? Also, noticed the difference on the welds, not as clean compared to the previous model. I immediately mailed the blue bike and asked for discount for the white one. Wabi gave me a $400 refund for all the troubles and I’m happy with the outcome. The cosmetic issues on the white bike are in the dropouts and under the chain stay so you can’t really see It unless you’re up close. I already replaced the freewheel and will true the wheel soon. I will just have the bike repainted in the future. At the end I’m satisfied for what I ended paying for the bike, it was a fair deal.
Old 09-20-20, 08:44 PM
sdimattia

bad luck? They sent me the blue bike but had issues. there was dent on the seat tube and the bearing on the front wheel popped out for some reason? Also, noticed the difference on the welds, not as clean compared to the previous model. I immediately mailed the blue bike and asked for discount for the white one. Wabi gave me a $400 refund for all the troubles and I’m happy with the outcome. The cosmetic issues on the white bike are in the dropouts and under the chain stay so you can’t really see It unless you’re up close. I already replaced the freewheel and will true the wheel soon. I will just have the bike repainted in the future. At the end I’m satisfied for what I ended paying for the bike, it was a fair deal.
Dang, I'm sorry to hear they gave you all those problems . . . It's too bad since they are usually much more together. But I'm glad you came to an acceptable agreement.

Happy riding to everybody!
Old 09-20-20, 08:49 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Dang, I'm sorry to hear they gave you all those problems . . . It's too bad since they are usually much more together. But I'm glad you came to an acceptable agreement.

Happy riding to everybody!
btw, I highly recommend squirt wax lube for your chain. I made the switch and OMG what a difference. No more black greasy chain. check out YouTube if you decide to switch. There’s a process before you use it.
Old 09-20-20, 08:54 PM
sdimattia

btw, I highly recommend squirt wax lube for your chain. I made the switch and OMG what a difference. No more black greasy chain. check out YouTube if you decide to switch. There’s a process before you use it.
Hmm, I'll definitely take a look at that. I keep my bike in my room and I'm tired of waking up every morning to a dog covered in grease stripes lol. We call him "grease monkey" because of it . . .
Likes For sdimattia:
Old 11-12-20, 10:36 AM
Zeuloa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 5'1", inseam is 29"

Excuse the late reply, been busy riding and working. If you're on the fence between the 42cm and 49cm, I'd definitely try the sizes out first. I've got a 75mm saddle to handlebar drop. For me, that puts me at thr extreme end of my comfort limits. If you're taller than me and your inseam can fit the standover of a 49cm (30" I think vs 28" on the 42cm), I'd recommend maybe sizing up so the drop won't be so extreme. Of course, it's completely up to you!
Now mine is a very late reply! Thanks for the info! I’ve had the 42 for a few months now and had the chance to exchange for a 49 (this was when they were not available yet and would’ve had to wait), but kept the 42. You’re right about the seat to stem drop, and I have it set up + and still about 7cm drop. They sent it with a 90mm stem which is too short for my size (5’3” 29 inseam), even according to a chart they have on their website so I’m looking at getting a 110mm.

I didn’t have a chance to try either size as I couldn’t find any in South Florida, and although I love the bike, I still wonder if I should’ve been patient and waited for the 49 as it might’ve been a better fit, plus more selection of tires for 700c wheels! I’ll post some picks as soon as I hit 10 posts!

BTW I upgraded to the delux freewheel and it’s great (47/16 set up), but I’m looking at the WI as I think a 17 freewheel might suit me better.

How do you like the Gatorskins btw?

Last edited by Zeuloa; 11-12-20 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-12-20, 02:15 PM
sdimattia

Originally Posted by Zeuloa
Now mine is a very late reply! Thanks for the info! I’ve had the 42 for a few months now and had the chance to exchange for a 49 (this was when they were not available yet and would’ve had to wait), but kept the 42. Your right about the seat to stem drop, and I have it set up + and still about 7cm drop. They sent it with a 90mm stem which is too short for my size (5’3” 29 inseam), even according to a chart they have on their website so I’m looking at getting a 110mm.

I didn’t have a chance to try either size as I couldn’t find any in South Florida, and although I love the bike, I still wonder if I should’ve been patient and waited for the 49 as it might’ve been a better fit, plus more selection of tires for 700c wheels! I’ll post some picks as soon as I hit 10 posts!

BTW I upgraded to the delux freewheel and it’s great (47/16 set up), but I’m looking at the WI as I think a 17 freewheel might suit me better.

How do you like the Gatorskins btw?
for me, ultimately I decided on the 42cm based on the standover height. 30in unfortunately is just not comfortable and i liked the shorter top tube length better.

I could've sworn the size chart had me with a 90mm stem,, maybe i should go longer . . . Although, with drop bars, I'm pretty happy with my current position.

I'm too cheap to buy a WI Wabi's deluxe freewheel has been working out great so I haven't considered changing as of yet. I did put omnium 165mm cranks but I kept the Andel 47t chainring.

Regarding the Conti Gatorskins: I actually ended up switching to 25mm panaracer Pasela's. I found the 23mm Conti to be very slick and unstable when cornering. And in the rain, forget it. I was hydroplaning and fishtailing all over the place. To bad the 650c don't come in a wider tire otherwise I'd happily use Conti's. Panaracer is much more stable and I haven't had issues with flats.
Old 11-12-20, 03:17 PM
Zeuloa

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
for me, ultimately I decided on the 42cm based on the standover height. 30in unfortunately is just not comfortable and i liked the shorter top tube length better.

I could've sworn the size chart had me with a 90mm stem,, maybe i should go longer . . . Although, with drop bars, I'm pretty happy with my current position.

I'm too cheap to buy a WI Wabi's deluxe freewheel has been working out great so I haven't considered changing as of yet. I did put omnium 165mm cranks but I kept the Andel 47t chainring.

Regarding the Conti Gatorskins: I actually ended up switching to 25mm panaracer Pasela's. I found the 23mm Conti to be very slick and unstable when cornering. And in the rain, forget it. I was hydroplaning and fishtailing all over the place. To bad the 650c don't come in a wider tire otherwise I'd happily use Conti's. Panaracer is much more stable and I haven't had issues with flats.
yeah I have the compact drops but still feel a bit cramped. I’ve heard that a lot about the Gatorskins... Too bad cause they seem like great totes otherwise. Vittoria makes a model in 23 which seem to be great... might give those a try. Are your Paselas wire or folding bead? Do you have pics to see how it looks with the 25s?
Old 11-12-20, 03:34 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
WABI people need to speak as 1 > eat as 1> ride as 1 & post as 1 ........... if we had a leader maybe he could get us a WABI thread

Old 11-12-20, 06:47 PM
sdimattia

yeah I have the compact drops but still feel a bit cramped. I’ve heard that a lot about the Gatorskins... Too bad cause they seem like great totes otherwise. Vittoria makes a model in 23 which seem to be great... might give those a try. Are your Paselas wire or folding bead? Do you have pics to see how it looks with the 25s?
Compacts with the 90mm stem has worked but i prefer to keep my reach on the shorter side. I have an old shoulder injury which means my arm goes numb if I stretch out too much which is never ideal for steering . . .

I mainly ride in NYC and I really don't like riding anything skinnier than 25mm but if you live somewhere without cracks and potholes, I'm sure 23mm would be fine. I'll snap a pic of my bike with the panaracers tomorrow morning. They don't look much different than the 23mm tires to be honest. The Paselas are wire bead. They were a bit of a pain to seat but not nearly as bad as the gatorskins IMO. I do ride 25mm Gatorskins on my 700c '86 Trek road bike and they work great.
Old 11-12-20, 06:55 PM
sdimattia

Originally Posted by jack pot
WABI people need to speak as 1 > eat as 1> ride as 1 & post as 1 ........... if we had a leader maybe he could get us a WABI thread

That's a gorgeous looking bike you got there! Love the color scheme.
Old 11-14-20, 09:16 AM
sdimattia

Zeuloa

here's the Panaracer Pasela 25mm on 32hVelocity A23 650c rims. My stock Wabi wheels still need to be trued after getting hit by a car back in June . . .

Had enough fender clearance for 35mm fenders on 23c tires. Can't clear with 25c though.

Front tire still clears a 35mm fender with a 25c tire. Have about 1in of space from tire to bottom of fork.
Old 11-20-20, 12:06 PM
Zeuloa

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Zeuloa

here's the Panaracer Pasela 25mm on 32hVelocity A23 650c rims. My stock Wabi wheels still need to be trued after getting hit by a car back in June . . .

Had enough fender clearance for 35mm fenders on 23c tires. Can't clear with 25c though.

Front tire still clears a 35mm fender with a 25c tire. Have about 1in of space from tire to bottom of fork.
looks great! I have the velocity A23 as well as Wabi was out of stock of their wheels therefore they upgraded to these with 32h...

Do you feel much difference in weight vs the stock wheels?
Old 11-20-20, 12:10 PM
Zeuloa

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
I finally have 10 posts hehehe...

here is mine:

Likes For Zeuloa:
Old 11-20-20, 12:37 PM
sdimattia

looks great! I have the velocity A23 as well as Wabi was out of stock of their wheels therefore they upgraded to these with 32h...

Do you feel much difference in weight vs the stock wheels?
There's maybe a 1lb difference between the two wheelsets, also considering the a23 are 32h while the stock wheels are 20/24. On a bike that's already about 16-18lbs total (with two brakes and levers), I certainly don't notice the difference. It doesn't affect handling or anything like that either. I don't wince quite as much when I hit curbs or potholes with 32h wheels but Wabi stock wheels are definitely sturdy and can take a beating.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of wheel nuts. Bolts are much easier to replace with safety bolts or Hexlox hexnuts which is what I use.
Old 11-20-20, 07:47 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
So is the quality at Wabi starting to slip a little?
I ask because I have been wanting a Wabi for some time and thought I might pull the trigger on one at long last. In fact, I would have done so already if they had one in my size to sell me this last summer. But maybe I’m gonna hold off if things are starting to go downhill.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.