Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How do I remove a freewheel if the tool doesn’t fit over the axle nut?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How do I remove a freewheel if the tool doesn’t fit over the axle nut?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-21, 03:40 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by hihik
Cut off the nut to liberate the cone. Ordered a new axle as the threads were messed up on the old one. In hindsight, the best solution (in my case) would have been pushing out the axle after removing the nuts from the ND side. Had I remembered that the dustcap was separate from the cone I would have pushed it harder. I thought they were a unit and the cap is blocked by freewheel. Then the drive side lock nut could be dealt with using something like this. Big fiasco, a lesson learned. Hopefully I won’t mess up the new one.

Again, thanks to all who chimed in with suggestions!
Whenever I re-do an axle the freewheel comes off before dealing with cones and such, and it goes on last when they're done. You can't do any sort of a decent job on the drive side cup with the freewheel on - and getting it off without an axle in the hub is extra tricky. If yours is still on, when you get the new axle, do this:

1. strip the new cones, washers, and locknuts off the new axle.
2. put enough bits off the old axle onto the new one so that you can put it in the hub with some balls. Any condition cups and balls will do, they don't need to be clean or greased or even properly adjusted, just get them so the wheel will turn on the axle. You need at least a cone and locknut on the freewheel side, and at least a cone (another locknut would help) on the other side.
3. mount your tool in a vice and drop the wheel on it and remove the freewheel; or if attempting this without a vice, add another nut to hold the tool from pooping out.
4. remove new-axle-with-old-bits, clean and lube hub, install new axle (adding another locknut on drive side cone if it's missing), replace freewheel.
Old 05-03-21, 05:56 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Whenever I re-do an axle the freewheel comes off before dealing with cones and such, and it goes on last when they're done....

4. remove new-axle-with-old-bits, clean and lube hub, install new axle (adding another locknut on drive side cone if it's missing), replace* freewheel.
...or better yet, service freewheel and reinstall. Since hihik has gone to this much work to service the hub, the freewheel deserves the same devotion.

*I do realize that "replace" can mean "reinstall." But it can also mean "scrap" or "dispose of."

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 05-03-21, 02:33 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Cut off the nut to liberate the cone.
I dunno, based on the pics above, it looks like the races on those cones are pretty well blown/chunky.

Old 05-03-21, 03:47 PM
hihik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
...or better yet, service freewheel and reinstall.
Freewheel was fully disassembled and cleaned/repacked.

Originally Posted by francophile
I dunno, based on the pics above, it looks like the races on those cones are pretty well blown/chunky.
I'll double-check.
Old 05-03-21, 04:20 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Freewheel was fully disassembled and cleaned/repacked....

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 05-03-21, 04:35 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
If you have a Park Tools remover that does not fit over axle locknuts, you can actually thin down the removal wall by using a Dremel with a drum shaped grinding tip. I did it on mine and it now fits over Campy Record axle locknuts. It does not take that much time/effort to thin down the remover wall with the Dremel, as there isn't really that much material you need to remove to make the remover fit over the locknuts.
Old 05-03-21, 05:14 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
If you have a Park Tools remover that does not fit over axle locknuts, you can actually thin down the removal wall by using a Dremel with a drum shaped grinding tip. I did it on mine and it now fits over Campy Record axle locknuts. It does not take that much time/effort to thin down the remover wall with the Dremel, as there isn't really that much material you need to remove to make the remover fit over the locknuts.
Another option anyone familiar with boring engines or cleaning seat tubes will share, look up FLEX-HONE on amazon. Measure the inner diameter of the tool and get your hone up to 1/8 larger.

I feel like every vintage bike restorer should have a 1" and 15/16" hone for seat tubes and maybe head tubes. 150, 300 and 600 grit if you can afford it. You'd probably need something somewhat smaller for these freewheel tools.

I have that FW tool from Bicycle Research. It's cast and hardened. Doubt anything will be thinning the wall of it.