Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Find of a lifetime?!?! I could REALLY use help from the experts

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-21, 07:01 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts

Let me start with a picture.

Some facts:
- repaint, powder coated. Original finish was blue as well (per previous owner).
- some components are definitely added at a later time.
- serial number: due to thick coat of paint very hard to say for sure, but I think ‘1487’.
- left seat stay is dented a bit, but it sure rides nice.
- crank arms include “Schwinn” and “Paramount”.
- pedals are Atom

The previous owner thought it to be a 1960s bike, built by Oscar Wastyn.

I know it was discussed by the CR group. And they determined it to be a late 1930s / early 1940s Schwinn Circuit. Correction: I meant to say Superior.

I have more info but let me first post some more pictures.

Additional pictures

I will follow up with the other components that were part of it In a follow up post.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Bernard

Last edited by b dub; 05-03-21 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-03-21, 07:30 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
@b dub

Just plain cool as heck is all I can say, I know a little about Paramount's but almost nothing about Circuits this old.

Interesting lugless, cranks are a huge plus, ball end stays are unusual but a known style, funny they were later on all the lower, lugless electro forged frames.

You one lucky lad.

So Superior now?

Last edited by merziac; 05-03-21 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-03-21, 07:34 PM
trainman999

Bikes: 83 Schwinn Superior, 86 Paramount,86 Madison,87 Cimeron,86 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 113 Posts
Looks like a Superior, does the serial stert with a B. I don't think they used the name Circuit back then and the World Racer shows a forward facing read droup out
Likes For trainman999:
Old 05-03-21, 07:57 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Originally Posted by trainman999
Looks like a Superior, does the serial stert with a B. I don't think they used the name Circuit back then and the World Racer shows a forward facing read droup out
i wonder what to do with the powder coat finish. Have it removed?
I could for now remove the bottom coating only to reveal the serial number. If there ever were to be a time for a re-repaint this would be it.
Old 05-03-21, 07:59 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

Originally Posted by merziac
@b dub

Just plain cool as heck is all I can say, I know a little about Paramount's but almost nothing about Circuits this old.

Interesting lugless, cranks are a huge plus, ball end stays are unusual but a known style, funny they were later on all the lower, lugless electro forged frames.

You one lucky lad.

So Superior now?
Thank you. Yeah I’ve been floating on a cloud the last 24 hours. But I know there is a fair chance someone will chime in to burst my bubble😜
Old 05-03-21, 08:08 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

And wait until you read the background story of the seller. We had a lovely chat yesterday morning when I picked up the bicycle.

Of course I had to ask about it’s history and he had plenty of it, and more...

I’ll post it when I have time in a few days.

I recommend to check out the Oscar Wastyn Cycles site.

The museum tab is stunning. Great comparison material with my frame. I’m hoping to stop by the store with my bike.
Old 05-03-21, 08:10 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by b dub
i wonder what to do with the powder coat finish. Have it removed?
I could for now remove the bottom coating only to reveal the serial number. If there ever were to be a time for a re-repaint this would be it.
Acetone and MEK (latter is nasty, wear lug protection) will soften and remove in smaller areas. For larger areas, aircraft striper will do but may take up to 30min to act.

Old 05-03-21, 08:11 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...is there some reason to distrust the conclusion reached over on the CR group site ?
The fork looks relatively distinctive. I know little or nothing about Schwinn's from that era.

I would not remove the PC, it is a pain to accomplish. You can paint right over it with thorough roughing of the surface and a good 2 part urethane primer, then go with whatever color and decals you want, with a clear urethane top over that. Works out OK, I've done it once on a bicycle here and have noticed no problems thus far.
Old 05-03-21, 08:16 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...is there some reason to distrust the conclusion reached over on the CR group site ?
The fork looks relatively distinctive. I know little or nothing about Schwinn's from that era.
No distrust at all. To the contrary. It just doesn’t line up with the sellers story.
Old 05-03-21, 08:19 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Thank you. Yeah I’ve been floating on a cloud the last 24 hours. But I know there is a fair chance someone will chime in to burst my bubble😜
I think as long as you didn't bet the farm on it you will be fine, like I said, the crank and BB if original and /or way back period, seat clamp, headset, SP, and?

Even if none of that is original, its old enough to really matter anyway, say its 20 years younger than the frame and the frame is truly 30's or 40's, still a huge win IMO.

Even being way small for me, I would have gone very deep on this, foolishly deep very likely. Value like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, something like this has nothing to do with resale to me, if you want it, you better step up, you may never get another chance and you will be kicking yourself for a very long time as that plays out.

Many here thought I was silly for getting my 58 Paramount that was advertised for $1300 I think. I couldn't get it done fast enough, a $2k ask may have slowed me down a bit but probably not much. and I ended up getting it for less anyway.

Birth year bike, very original, fantastic condition, never gonna see another, BUY, BUY, BUY, do it now!

I think you probably did just fine, congratulations!
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-03-21, 09:10 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

I would not remove the PC, it is a pain to accomplish. You can paint right over it with thorough roughing of the surface and a good 2 part urethane primer, then go with whatever color and decals you want, with a clear urethane top over that. Works out OK, I've done it once on a bicycle here and have noticed no problems thus far.
The PC is way thick and hides some of it’s features. Any other frame and I would agree. But this one I feel requires a special approach.
Old 05-03-21, 09:18 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
The PC is way thick and hides some of it’s features. Any other frame and I would agree. But this one I feel requires a special approach.

...which features are hidden ? Of course, from here, I cannot see them, but it does appear to be a pretty straightforward frame assembly, with lugless fillet brazing a the joints, and there doesn't appear to be much detail in the fork crown or the rear dropouts. Again, I'm tellling you this as a favor, removing PC from an entire frame and fork like that is probably better accomplished by someone with a media blast operation.

The strippers that will work are relatively high in toxicity, and in my own life, I kind of draw the line somewhere before those. But I'm happy you are happy with it.
Old 05-03-21, 09:26 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

...which features are hidden ? Of course, from here, I cannot see them, but it does appear to be a pretty straightforward frame assembly, with lugless fillet brazing a the joints, and there doesn't appear to be much detail in the fork crown or the rear dropouts. Again, I'm tellling you this as a favor, removing PC from an entire frame and fork like that is probably better accomplished by someone with a media blast operation.

The strippers that will work are relatively high in toxicity, and in my own life, I kind of draw the line somewhere before those. But I'm happy you are happy with it.
It’s all good and thank you. I certainly am not in a rush to do anything.
Old 05-03-21, 09:39 PM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
The best way to get PC off is to burn it off. It's plastic and melts very easily.
Chemical removal in a industrial bath used for preparing aircraft components isn't very straight forward and the PC is surprisingly resilient and patches refuse to move all over the place.
Softening it with a powerful solvent and painting over it works but seems to defeat the purpose of restoration and is not recognized as a acceptable practice for a host of environmental health reasons.
Scrapping/sanding is brutal and very very time consuming and patchy.
I imagine it was sand-blasted prior to the PC being applied so underneath will be already stripped. Sandblasting removes metal so once is more than any frame should endure.
Burning with a soldering blow-torch (like house-painters used to do) is very straight-forward and highly effective. Start with the forks.
The moral of the tale - don't PC bicycles if you want to later change them.
Good luck.
Just a personal observation - removing the PC will probably save the frame's life. PC hides rust that creeps under the layer of PC unnoticed where it can really eat the metal away until it's too late. Especially so if the frame had a lot of rust beforehand. Perhaps not in this case but who'd PC a pristine vintage frame?

Last edited by Johno59; 05-03-21 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-03-21, 09:53 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

Originally Posted by Johno59
The best way to get PC off is to burn it off. It's plastic and melts very easily.
Chemical removal in a industrial bath used for preparing aircraft components isn't very straight forward and the PC is surprisingly resilient and patches refuse to move all over the place.
Softening it with a powerful solvent and painting over it works but seems to defeat the purpose of restoration and is not recognized as a acceptable practice for a host of environmental health reasons.
Scrapping/sanding is brutal and very very time consuming and patchy.
I imagine it was sand-blasted prior to the PC being applied so underneath will be already stripped. Sandblasting removes metal so once is more than any frame should endure.
Burning with a soldering blow-torch (like house-painters used to do) is very straight-forward and highly effective. Start with the forks.
The moral of the tale - don't PC bicycles if you want to later change them.
Good luck.
Interesting. This is a new one for me.
Old 05-03-21, 11:25 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Yes. All the details match up perfectly to a Superior of the era, and Schwinn didn't make a Circuit back then.

There's nothing here that looks remotely like a Wastyn. It's a fillet-brazed Schwinn frame, complete with that peaked fork crown shared by a few other models from that period.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 05-04-21 at 06:27 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 05-03-21, 11:29 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

Originally Posted by cudak888
Yes. All the details match up perfectly to a Superior of the era, and Schwinn didn't make a Circuit back then.

There's nothing here that looks remotely like a Wastyn. It's a fillet-braze Schwinn frame of the era, complete with that peaked fork crown shared by a few other models from that era.

-Kurt
HOLD ON, I screwed up. Big brain fart. I meant to type Schwinn Superior, not Circuit.

So sorry. I only just now realized my mistake. I have my reasons but I won’t bore you with that.

Last edited by b dub; 05-03-21 at 11:35 PM.
Likes For b dub:
Old 05-04-21, 05:33 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
May the Fourth be with you, b dub ! I agree about it being a genuine Superior. They seem to be a rare model in the late '30s-'50s. Similar to the Paramount and New World they could come in several different "falvors." Track, Single Speed, or Three Speed. The rear facing dropouts look more like Paramount ones than New World ones. Below are a couple of pictures of my '39 or '40 New World dropouts for your comparison.

What sized wheels does it have? If interested, I have a Sturmey Archer 3 speed wheel set from a Lady's Superior from the late '40s early '50s.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 05-04-21, 05:44 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
snip . .
- crank arms include “Schwinn” and “Paramount”.
- pedals are Atom

The previous owner thought it to be a 1960s bike, built by Oscar Wastyn.

I know it was discussed by the CR group. And they determined it to be a late 1930s / early 1940s Schwinn Circuit. Correction: I meant to say Superior.

I will follow up with the other components that were part of it In a follow up post.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Bernard
Great bike. I had a question about the pedals. Those are atom square cage pedals, right? Obviously there is no way to know if they are original to the bike or not. Do you know if they were made in the 50s though? Curious as I have a set that I'll likely use on a '58 Claud Butler I'm rebuilding but I'm not certain of the date. Velobase lists the pedals without dates.

VeloBase.com - Component: Atom (square cage)

Old 05-04-21, 06:16 AM
schwinnderella

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 29 Posts
Superior

For comparison my faded rusty Schwinn Superior which I believe is a 1939.

Likes For schwinnderella:
Old 05-04-21, 06:29 AM
b dub 
CL Addict

Originally Posted by schwinnderella

My gosh, this is it. Found a match. This really confirmed it is a Schwinn Superior.

Is the serial number on your bike located on the bottom bracket or the drop-out?
Old 05-04-21, 06:33 AM
b dub 
CL Addict

Originally Posted by bikemig
Great bike. I had a question about the pedals. Those are atom square cage pedals, right? Obviously there is no way to know if they are original to the bike or not. Do you know if they were made in the 50s though? Curious as I have a set that I'll likely use on a '58 Claud Butler I'm rebuilding but I'm not certain of the date. Velobase lists the pedals without dates.

They are indeed. The seller confirmed that it used to include cages and straps. Several of the components are from a later time like the wheel set but not sure when
Old 05-04-21, 06:49 AM
schwinnderella

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 29 Posts
My gosh, this is it. Found a match. This really confirmed it is a Schwinn Superior.

Is the serial number on your bike located on the bottom bracket or the drop-out?

On the bottom bracket.
Old 05-04-21, 07:34 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig

those were made for a long time.
I bought a new set in the late 1960’s
for my Sting-Ray!
so they came 1/2” threading too, thanks to Schwinn.
Likes For repechage:
Old 05-04-21, 07:38 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by schwinnderella

fun bike. I need to locate the parts and finish my New World with the single freewheel and cottered cranks. Scavenger seller sold off the saddle, seat-post and bars before I got there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.