Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

NBD Wabi Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 05:44 AM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
How long did it take to get them? I think next month I'm going to order a set of tubulars at PWB for my Wabi with Paul hubs, DT Comp's and Kinlin TB 20 Tubular rims.

And since it's a Wabi thread (the trash is from the last hurricane)....

Beautiful bike you got there.

Wheels took about 6 weeks but this was back in June 2020 at the height of the shortage due to COVID. Other times I’ve ordered wheels it took about 2 weeks. Same as Universal cycles. Expect UC throws in a spare spoke of each length and the wheel comes taped for free.
Old 04-19-21, 05:56 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by sdimattia
Beautiful bike you got there.

Wheels took about 6 weeks but this was back in June 2020 at the height of the shortage due to COVID. Other times I’ve ordered wheels it took about 2 weeks. Same as Universal cycles. Expect UC throws in a spare spoke of each length and the wheel comes taped for free.
Cool, thanks
Old 05-24-21, 10:17 AM
baristabaker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Hi All! Been itching to pull the trigger on the Wabi Thunder! Watched a couple of YT reviews and I'm stocked. Just a worried about being dinged high import duties and taxes(Canada). But what are your thoughts?
Been looking for something bombproof and can handle everything I can throw at it including fenders, racks and even child carriers to take my son out for trail rides!
Thank you and happy riding!
Old 05-24-21, 10:50 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by baristabaker
Hi All! Been itching to pull the trigger on the Wabi Thunder! Watched a couple of YT reviews and I'm stocked. Just a worried about being dinged high import duties and taxes(Canada). But what are your thoughts?
Been looking for something bombproof and can handle everything I can throw at it including fenders, racks and even child carriers to take my son out for trail rides!
Thank you and happy riding!
pull the trigger and buy one. You won’t have any regrets. Another option you have is the All City Super Professional SS

Last edited by jay4usc; 05-24-21 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-24-21, 11:06 AM
baristabaker

Originally Posted by jay4usc
pull the trigger and buy one. You won’t have any regrets. Another option you have is the All City Super Professional SS
Thanks looking to finalize it soon! You def hit it, I was debating between the Wabi and the AC Super Pro. The AC is available at my LBS where Wabi needs to be shipped so it's a tough toss-up.
Both will cost me around the same $$. But head to head considering build quality, geometry and spec wise, Wabi all the way no?
Old 05-24-21, 02:00 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Thanks looking to finalize it soon! You def hit it, I was debating between the Wabi and the AC Super Pro. The AC is available at my LBS where Wabi needs to be shipped so it's a tough toss-up.
Both will cost me around the same $$. But head to head considering build quality, geometry and spec wise, Wabi all the way no?
I think they are very similar in build quality and very close in geometry. I know the AC Track bike and the Wabi Classic has an identical geometry. Unsure with the Thunder and Super Pro. I do prefer the disc brakes over the Cantilever brake but that’s just personal preference. Why don’t you start a thread on the Fixed Gear board and get everyones opinion. We maybe a little bias here since we are all Wabi owners on this thread lol. If Thunder is in stock jump on it bc they are selling out fast.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 05-24-21, 02:42 PM
sdimattia

If they made the Thunder in my size (42cm), I'd buy it in a heartbeat. As far as an all around bike, it's great. Check out some of the videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/TimsTechBlog

You mentioned throwing a kid's seat on, I think he has a video on that. If you go with the Wabi, you won't regret it. It's a much more classic, nicer bike than All City. I have nothing against AC, I also have a Nature Boy set up for winter/wet riding. I only bought it because it comes in my size. If I had the option of a Wabi Thunder, I'd have bought that instead.

jay4usc We are a lot biased
Likes For sdimattia:
Old 05-24-21, 08:29 PM
baristabaker

Thanks for the tips jay4usc and sdimattia for the tips. I'm looking to pull the trigger real soon. Just want to be absolutely sure before I pull the trigger. BTW love the red powder coat on your classic and how you guys take your shots!!
Likes For baristabaker:
Old 05-24-21, 08:46 PM
baristabaker

Did you also recommend upgrading the rims/tires? I know it comes with the standard Kenda tires which seems fine but looking for something decently fast on the road and have no problems on occasional plowing through gravel. Thanks!
Old 05-24-21, 08:58 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Did you also recommend upgrading the rims/tires? I know it comes with the standard Kenda tires which seems fine but looking for something decently fast on the road and have no problems on occasional plowing through gravel. Thanks!
definitely upgrade the tires. Kenda you get with the bike sucks. Maybe Gravel King tires? All depends on type of road you will be riding.
Old 05-25-21, 07:37 AM
sdimattia

definitely the tires like jay4usc said. The rims are actually some of the nicest stock rims that come on a bike. I having the 650c 20/24h rims on one of my Classics and they've held up with no problems, curb hopping and hitting potholes. I would assume Wabi's 32h CX wheels are just as, if not more durable.

And of course, if you get the Wabi, we want pictures!
Old 05-25-21, 04:19 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

One recommendation when you order your bike is to also order a set of extra wheel bolts and a seat binder. These are very inexpensive must have extra set laying around because your LBS won't have these in stock if you ever need them.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 05-25-21, 04:29 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

definitely the tires like jay4usc said. The rims are actually some of the nicest stock rims that come on a bike. I having the 650c 20/24h rims on one of my Classics and they've held up with no problems, curb hopping and hitting potholes. I would assume Wabi's 32h CX wheels are just as, if not more durable.

The only negative thing with the wabi wheels sold with the Classic is that they are very narrow. Inner width is 12.6mm and outer width 18.2mm. Wheel builder and Velomine on sell wheels that are 17.5 inner and 23.5 outer which mirrors the wheel sets sold with the Wabi Thunder. I’m running 28 gators and they are measuring in at 25mm with these wheels.
Old 05-25-21, 08:30 PM
baristabaker

One recommendation when you order your bike is to also order a set of extra wheel bolts and a seat binder. These are very inexpensive must have extra set laying around because your LBS won't have these in stock if you ever need them.

Thanks for the tips! Should let you know the outcome pretty soon!
Old 05-26-21, 02:58 AM
Lazyass

FYI. Their next shipment of Specials is supposed to come in early June and it's first come first serve. They said it's a small shipment so if somebody wants one they ought to check their website every day. The copper color looks nice. They won't have Classics and Lightnings until late summer at least.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=wabi%20cycles
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 05-26-21, 03:00 AM
Lazyass

The only negative thing with the wabi wheels sold with the Classic is that they are very narrow. Inner width is 12.6mm and outer width 18.2mm. Wheel builder and Velomine on sell wheels that are 17.5 inner and 23.5 outer which mirrors the wheel sets sold with the Wabi Thunder. I’m running 28 gators and they are measuring in at 25mm with these wheels.
I run Challenge Paris-Roubaix 27c and they measure 27.6 on my Sub-15 wheels which are also narrow.

I also highly recommend that tire. Super smooth ride and they're very light.
Old 05-26-21, 09:07 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I run Challenge Paris-Roubaix 27c and they measure 27.6 on my Sub-15 wheels which are also narrow.

I also highly recommend that tire. Super smooth ride and they're very light.
From what I have read those tires actually run wide. If you put those on wider rims they measure 29-30mm
Old 05-26-21, 09:26 AM
sdimattia

I run Panaracer Paselas 650cx25 and 28 which measure accurately on the 650c Wabi wheelset. I've crashed too many times running 700x23 and 25mm gators, taking sharp turns at 20+ miles an hour (and occasionally in the rain)
Old 05-26-21, 10:24 AM
Lazyass

From what I have read those tires actually run wide. If you put those on wider rims they measure 29-30mm
Well they measure 27.6 so yeah that's wide lol
Old 06-02-21, 09:40 PM
baristabaker

Finally pulled the trigger on a Thunder. It's a waiting game now, thanks for all the help!
Likes For baristabaker:
Old 06-03-21, 10:54 AM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, Wabi Special, Wabi Thunder, Merckx Extra Corsa, Colnago Tecnos, Colnago Super, Cinelli Supercorsa, De Rosa Professional, De Rosa Replica 73, Serotta Colorado iii, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Panasonic RT-3500, Lynskey R320, Time VXRS

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Finally pulled the trigger on a Thunder. It's a waiting game now, thanks for all the help!
thanks for the order. We'll try to get it out soon.