Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Where to find Paterek DVDs?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 03-08-19, 07:38 AM
bissells

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greetings all,
I realize that The Paterek Manual doesn't seem to be anyone's favorite here however it helped me a lot. His website is down and I would very much like to acquire the DVD collection. Anyone know where they might be found or if someone has them and would like to sell/loan them out? Thanks in advance and also for all the great discussions I've read here!
Steve
Old 03-08-19, 08:58 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
doesn't look good for right now, didn't find anything on amazon or ebay. Maybe someone here has them

I wonder if it's not a temporary issue with the site
Old 03-08-19, 03:15 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I have the lugless DVD set. Drop me a PM, let's talk.
Old 03-09-19, 04:34 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I, too, got my start using the Paterek manual, although in paper form, not on disk. Found it to be the right amount of information to get my head wrapped around building a frame. Experiencing the build is the authoritative teacher, but Paterek manual is a good place to start provided you already have some very basic brazing experience at some point in your life. It was 30 years between brazing sessions when I built the first frame. Not until the 3rd frame did I feel comfortable getting good flow. Still don't trust myself with building a fork! Yes, a cautious one I am.
Old 03-09-19, 05:55 PM
pwyg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
doesn't look good for right now, didn't find anything on amazon or ebay. Maybe someone here has them

I wonder if it's not a temporary issue with the site
I think Tim is simply done with that. I have not discussed that part of his life recently. I know he has retired from his teaching in the school system in Vancouver. What I think us so funny about my predecessor and what he acheived is simply how many frame builders are here because of his manual and those he taught over the years while he was active building and teaching the craft.
Old 03-11-19, 05:42 AM
bissells

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the information and replies! I'll keep looking via e-bay etc.
@ Cynikal, thanks for the offer and when I get home from work, I'll send a pm.
Best regards to all,
Steve
Old 03-11-19, 02:46 PM
bissells

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Cynikal, so as a real newbie I've figured out that I need to post 8 more messages before I can PM someone :-).
Old 03-11-19, 03:23 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

No worries. Keep responding here and get your 10 posts!
Old 03-11-19, 03:25 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

I will add that watching his videos is painful. He works with several large mills and advanced tools and give good advise on how to use them but if you are a file and vise kinda person, they can be tough.
Old 03-11-19, 07:31 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

newbies can leave a visitors message on someone's profile
Old 03-12-19, 08:57 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

I sent a PM with my email.
Old 03-12-19, 01:31 PM
bissells

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Cynikal, got your message, thanks!

And yes, I am a vise and file person (it's kinda soothing in its own way) but what I hope to get out of the videos is some good visuals on the prep and actual brazing process. I have been somewhat successful first with lots of practice joints and then on my first lugged frame. I have quite a bit of experience sweating copper pipes and the theory and practice is very similar. Fillet brazing on the other hand, is eluding me and before I waste more practice materials I would like to be able to watch a pro at work (no chance of that near me). YouTube has been disappointing. There are some amazing builders posting videos but the flame seems to always obscure the details. I'm hoping Tim's will be more "instructional".
Old 03-26-19, 05:39 PM
pwyg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Paterek's website and manual

Just for people's info Tim dropped his website. His manual is now an e-book on the Kindle.
Old 03-26-19, 07:32 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Interesting information. Too bad about the DVDs. Took me a while to find it on Amazon, the main search is used paper
Here is volume 1 https://www.amazon.com/Paterek-Manua...sr=1-1-catcorr

Volume 2
https://www.amazon.com/Paterek-Manua...sr=1-2-catcorr
Old 03-27-19, 08:29 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I bought the "annotated" version of Paterek's book back in the day but frankly, didn't find it overly useful. Some guy from here borrowed it and never returned it but that's a story for another day... Anyway, with youtube and tons of different pro builders sharing photos of their build process, plus this forum of course, I'd skip the Paterek book and just do your own research. There is plenty of information available to assist someone in building a simple lugged frame. Biggest challenge is figuring out your tooling and fixturing, and honing your brazing skills of course. It ain't rocket science.
Old 03-27-19, 09:35 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

that's what happened to my Talbot's manual too. I'm sure it's in a landfill somewhere.

I probably would have bought Paterek if it was available when I started, I bought just about anything available. Which was not much. If someone really wants to learn, $80 is nothing. There are a lot of books by people that aren't really framebuilders on amazon. I like to say everyone has something to teach you, but I look at amazon's collection of framebuilding books and wonder.

You can learn a lot from people's flickr accounts. But there is a certain level of knowledge needed first. I have thought about making some videos, but I need to get some brazing glasses for my camera.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-28-19, 06:11 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

someone is selling books/videos on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/fram...98664450367798
Old 04-01-19, 12:26 AM
bissells

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to thank everyone for the replies, help and good information! I was pretty happy with my first lugged build and will continue researching fillet-brazing for my next bike (a tandem). Although I didn't fully document the first build with good enough photos, I plan to do so with the fillets and will post them in the build section for anyone interested. I've got a thick skin :-).
Cheers all,
Steve
Old 04-01-19, 06:20 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Steve- A heads up about tandem building- It's not uncommon to see greater heat distortion of the BB shells and the head tube on tandems, then on similarly tubed singles. Those extra tubes need more/longer heat cycles to join. Make sure you're producing good fillets as quickly as you can. Or said in another way. Practice a lot. Andy
Old 04-01-19, 07:08 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I don't think I would make a tandem as a second frame. My recommendation is to make a fillet single first.
Old 04-17-19, 10:52 AM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I got the DVDs, and the two styles are different. One is all machining based, and the other is hand skills. You don't get to choose which approach you prefer relative to your preferred method.

The Paterek approach is from the perspective of a machinist, which is not the method most commonly seen in frame shops, but it has become more common as an approach to TIG. And while it would have been impractical to set up a shop with machine tools in the period when the manual was first written, the advent of cheap Asian tools, and later Ebay/deindustrialization has made machine tools often cheaper than hand tools. Admittedly Nicholson files are pretty cheap, but there are some nice files that are 50 dollars a crack, not to mention vises, where a milling machine or lathe can often be picked up for a few hundred.
Old 04-29-19, 06:18 AM
bissells

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I don't think I would make a tandem as a second frame. My recommendation is to make a fillet single first.
@ both Andrew and Unterhausen: Thanks for the advice and it makes good sense. I'll practice my fillets and probably build a cargo bike first which won't need to be so "pretty".
Old 05-13-20, 03:19 PM
rvestuti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paterek Frame building DVD

Hello -

I have the complete set of Paterek framebuilding DVD's. I would like to sell them- If someone could make me a fair offer- we can figure out how to exchange info.
I think I watched 10 mins of one- and the rest are in the original packaging. My lack of followthrough with this "hobby" is your gain.
Old 05-13-20, 03:28 PM
rvestuti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Bissells- I have the full set of DVD's- I have not even opened them- let me know if you are still trying to purchase these- cleaning house .
cheers
Old 06-06-20, 10:05 PM
Paul_L

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Cynikal - I'd love to talk about the lugless DVDs! Do you still have them or the videos?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.