Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Cavendish.... might be spoilers if you aren't current on TdF Stages

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Cavendish.... might be spoilers if you aren't current on TdF Stages

Old 07-07-21, 08:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Cavendish has been giving all the praise to his team. He does have a top notch leadout train. But he's also more humble and gracious than I've seen in him before. But his ability to read the timing and openings is critical. He studies video of other races a lot to see where he can improve.

TBH, I never really liked Cav much before. The younger Cav seemed arrogant, snippy, often recklessly causing other people to crash, and taking ridiculous chances and then blaming everyone else when it backfired and he crashed. It's possible I was just misreading his passion for the sport and tendency to be emotional. Sometimes stuff gets taken out of context in the press, especially when the cycling press follows the Italian polemica approach toward reporting on cycling.

I don't know who this Cavendish guy is in the 2021 TdF, but I admire him.

I'm betting he'll make a great trainer, coach or directeur sportif if he wants to go that route.

Sorry to hear that. I've had migraines, cluster headaches and/or trigeminal neuralgia since I was a kid. Sucks. If you don't already have an emergency relief prescription for a migraine in progress, I can suggest a few OTC remedies, and one inexpensive and easily obtainable prescription med that work for me.Some folks get relief from blood pressure meds, especially metoprolol or other beta blockers. When it's bad enough I'll take a metoprolol and lisinopril. I don't need 'em for BP, just for migraine relief.In non-prescription stuff, I often find my worst headaches are triggered by sinus congestion. Real Sudafed can help. It's gotta be pseudoephedrine, not the substitute phenylephrine.Melatonin and GABA (an amino acid supplement) can help too.
oh thank you! it wound up going to day 3 for a total of 43 hours. Friday afternoon - Sunday morning. last & only other time with a duration like that was February 2020, you might recall it!
https://www.bikeforums.net/pills-ill...headaches.html
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-08-21, 05:28 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 445 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
That's an interesting thought. Might the peloton "gift" him the 21st stage to give him the record?
God, I hope not. And I doubt it. Too big a prize for others to turn their back on, and I think most would agree it would cheapen the win. I wouldn't be surprised if they let him ride onto the Champs in first place, like they've done in the past for notable retirements or such.

There's also a small chance the Champs would be for #36.

Maybe he has the ONLY leadout train? Has anybody seen any other organized team leadouts in this tour? The onyl other one I've seen was Alpecin Fenix, and 2 of the 3 participants (Merlier, MvdP) are no longer in the race.
DSM got a good run in or two. Bol couldn't close. I haven't been tracking what's left of them now and don't know if they'll still got all the cogs in their machine.
Old 07-08-21, 05:53 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
He's a Class Act

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/w...s-mont-ventoux
Old 07-08-21, 07:55 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
I feel like kind of a dick as I root against Cav re: Merckx, but I'm doing it anyway.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 07-08-21, 11:44 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4836 Post(s)
Liked 7,827 Times in 3,707 Posts
Maybe he has the ONLY leadout train? Has anybody seen any other organized team leadouts in this tour? The onyl other one I've seen was Alpecin Fenix, and 2 of the 3 participants (Merlier, MvdP) are no longer in the race.
There have been some minor attempts for other teams to set up a lead out their sprinters, but no other team seems to be willing to put as many riders to the task as DQS. Not having a real GC contender is probably a big factor in this. DQS is built for stage wins, and have some serious firepower available.
Old 07-08-21, 01:38 PM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
There have been some minor attempts for other teams to set up a lead out their sprinters, but no other team seems to be willing to put as many riders to the task as DQS. Not having a real GC contender is probably a big factor in this. DQS is built for stage wins, and have some serious firepower available.
Yes, but to go back to a comment above, I do hope that this fact, combined with some anachronistic French notion of bike racing etiquette, doesn't cause other teams and other sprinters to half-arse it on the Champs-Elysees in a romantic tip-of-the-chapeau to Cav. That would spoil the record.
Old 07-08-21, 05:14 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by goose70
Yes, but to go back to a comment above, I do hope that this fact, combined with some anachronistic French notion of bike racing etiquette, doesn't cause other teams and other sprinters to half-arse it on the Champs-Elysees in a romantic tip-of-the-chapeau to Cav. That would spoil the record.
I can't imagine that happening. Winning on C-E is too big a feather in the cap for any sprinter not give it their best effort. The big question right now is whether any other sprinter can beat Cav, especially when the DQS train is rolling the way it currently is. There's still a lot of Tour left to go before we get there.
Old 07-08-21, 06:13 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4266 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
I wouldn't have thunk that 2021 would be Cav's year of glory whilst at the same time, Sagan would have to slink off into the shadows. I thought that both were past their glory days, but that Sagan would maybe steal a stage if the stars aligned. Nope.
Old 07-08-21, 06:23 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,887 Times in 1,646 Posts
Wonder what Cavendish's win tally would have been if he hadn't been suffering from his Epstein-Barr virus infection and had also ridden for DQS during those years.
Old 07-09-21, 09:58 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Ding! 34.
Old 07-09-21, 12:39 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Time to pay MICHAEL MØRKØV back with a stage win. That still leaves Stage 21 and Paris for the record breaker.
Old 07-09-21, 07:32 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

MORKOV is a master, there is no doubt, but they won't give him the chance to win a stage until Cav breaks the record.

The leadout today was strange, Not textbook like the other day. But DQS has so much talent, they pulled it off anyway.
Old 07-09-21, 07:47 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

MORKOV is a master, there is no doubt, but they won't give him the chance to win a stage until Cav breaks the record.

The leadout today was strange, Not textbook like the other day. But DQS has so much talent, they pulled it off anyway.
I say that DQS lets MØRKØV go for the win on stage 19, IF Cav is not his best and Michael is toward the front... I bet they help him go for it.

After all there's still stage 21 in Paris.
Old 07-16-21, 03:11 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Seems that Cavendish probably wasn't feeling it on Stage 19 so them and the remaining sprinters just took the day off, and we got to see cat and mouse games from the breakaway group trying to decide who was going to finish 2nd. A bad racing day.
Old 07-16-21, 04:30 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Cav had a choice. (Well, he and his sport director. Let the big group go and sop up all the sprint points or work the D-QS team to the bone to control the break so Cav has a shot at #35 (and the risk of a crash, mechanical, etc. and having much of his green jersey lead evaporate). He probably has a few teammates thanking him right now. Tomorrow's the TT so in effect, a near day off for most of the team unless they want to show what they can do. Then it's Sunday, the march to Paris and the grand finale, the sprint down Champs d'Elisee (sp). All the team will be up for that one for sure and even more so since Cav sacrificed his chance two days before.

Cav has already made this team work very hard on a few stages. Two of his wins were on the back of insanely hard days for the team. Today it was far from a given that the team even could have produced a win for Cav but not even trying was the far safer bet. No other team even could have reeled in that huge lead group so all Cav had to do was finish inside the time limit. That and suit up again tomorrow,
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-16-21, 07:21 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
What with the most boring GC race since the days of Big Mig, 60 mile ITTs, and EPO, Cav has been the story of this Tour. Not really for the racing. (The KOM has been by far the most interesting stage racing this year.) But dramatically, story-wise, it's been great to watch. This ride, this year, by this guy, is the classiest thing I've seen in years.

Edd, Mr. Cavendish.

--Shannon

("Edd" is Manx for "hat", by analogy to French "chapeau." At a guess, it's pronounced "ehth," with an aspirated "e" and a voiced "th" as in "the." Gods below, I'm a geek.)
Old 07-16-21, 08:00 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
if Cav wins on the Champs, he will be the greatest. Still cannot help but wonder if that team could put Alliphilipe in the yellow with a concerted effort (like focused on that from day 1). That's the other end of it that the team is working for Cav and has been for most of the Tour (as evidenced by his ******* up the mountains) not Alliphilipe
Old 07-16-21, 08:21 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
if Cav wins on the Champs, he will be the greatest. Still cannot help but wonder if that team could put Alliphilipe in the yellow with a concerted effort (like focused on that from day 1). That's the other end of it that the team is working for Cav and has been for most of the Tour (as evidenced by his ******* up the mountains) not Alliphilipe
What?

I know that he's had some occasional good results on some mountain stages but over the course of the tour, I don't think it's within Alaphilippe's ability to compete with the elite GC climbers
Old 07-17-21, 03:56 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Cav has already made this team work very hard on a few stages. Two of his wins were on the back of insanely hard days for the team. Today it was far from a given that the team even could have produced a win for Cav but not even trying was the far safer bet. No other team even could have reeled in that huge lead group so all Cav had to do was finish inside the time limit. That and suit up again tomorrow,
I feel sorry for his teammates who have to sit 20 minutes behind the main group and basically drag him over the mountains so he doesn't get disqualified for being too slow. They get like no glory or recognition at all. I'm sure privately they get pissed.
Old 07-17-21, 08:57 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I feel sorry for his teammates who have to sit 20 minutes behind the main group and basically drag him over the mountains so he doesn't get disqualified for being too slow. They get like no glory or recognition at all. I'm sure privately they get pissed.
His teammates are real pros. They get paid to serve the team hotshot. Usually that means (for Tim Declercq anyway) doing a very long, hard pull and pulling over, spent, to ride alone or caught by the gruppetto and finish long after the excitement is gone. I'll bet they had a little fun back there. Yes hard work with zero recognition (until discussions like this!) but with teammates they care about. DeClerq has ridden a bunch of Tours, always as an ox. So this one's a little different. I don't know Morkov's history. I suspect he's done a few and seen the gruppetto many times.

And with Cav fully in the spotlight, those two get recognition they've never had before.
Old 07-17-21, 10:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Despite how positive I've posted about Cavendish here and other places, I don't think I've ever rooted for Cav or Quickstep. However Deceuninck - Quick Step and each individual of their team there at the TdF really deserve to be called the best team for the TdF. Their GC chances got blown away early so they have really rallied to protect and keep Cav in the TdF.

There have been one or two TdF's he didn't make the time cut and to do that while matching or breaking Merckx record will greatly shadow his achievement. Merckx retired about the time I was realizing people got paid to ride bikes. So to have someone tie or break his record in my lifetime is something.

No one else will probably come close while I'm alive. Though if Tadej Pogačar isn't just a flash in the pan, he's off to a good start and has years ahead of him. He's already got 6 in two TdF's. So maybe I'll see another before my grand depart.
Old 07-17-21, 10:29 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
What?

I know that he's had some occasional good results on some mountain stages but over the course of the tour, I don't think it's within Alaphilippe's ability to compete with the elite GC climbers
ok so who is their guy?
Old 07-17-21, 01:18 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
I feel like kind of a dick as I root against Cav re: Merckx, but I'm doing it anyway.
Here, this will make ya feel better...

https://www.eurosport.com/cycling/to...tory-amp.shtml
Old 07-19-21, 01:02 PM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Welp, I guess Wout heard my concern and addressed it. Any early word from Cav on whether he intends to return to the Tour next year? I'd assume so.
Old 07-19-21, 01:07 PM
MinnMan

Welp, I guess Wout heard my concern and addressed it. Any early word from Cav on whether he intends to return to the Tour next year? I'd assume so.
Surely he will try. The question is, for what team? Evidence suggests that his chances of stage wins depend on that.