Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fairing/Pannier System

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fairing/Pannier System

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-21, 12:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike

University of Toronto provided this cgi image
A triple? A triple?!? What is this, a touring bike or a performance machine?
University of Toronto should feel embarrassed!***
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-12-21, 12:48 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
hotbike As always, your well thought out and advanced designs are not appreciated as they should be.

Old 07-12-21, 01:20 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
One recent technology in this arena (in case you are not already familiar with it), is the pair of wheel fairings by https://nullwinds.com/pages/aerodefender. Your daughter's picture shows upper wheel fairings which are similar, at least in concept.

Two really good points, at least in my opinion:

> They have a design and have published some of their technical work to develop and test the designs - I can learn something from that!
> When I worked to develop similarly new ideas in an automotive corporate environment, I was to show a competitive analysis including at least a personal patent search if not a downtown job done by a consultant. Food for thought.

Fairings cover the upper part of the wheel. The upper part of the wheel is moving twice the velocity of the bike, so it is twice as important. (You realize, no matter how fast you are moving, the contact-patch of your tire, in contact with the ground, at any given moment, is Not moving?).
Old 07-12-21, 04:15 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts

University of Toronto provided this cgi image
This wouldn't even be that hard to make. Apparently the nullwinds link posted earlier has the front wheel fairing, an integrated teardrop shaped seat bag would not be that hard to make/source and that just leaves the front handlebar fairing, of which I know I've seen several plexiglass models.Add tri spoke and disc wheels and there you go.

I also think bike choice would help. Perhaps a soft ride design would eliminate turbulence from the seat post/stays and make a rear wheel fairing similar to the nullwind possible.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 07-13-21 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-12-21, 04:30 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Focusing on the THEORETICAL LIMITS in the lower left of the chart. It really drives home the concept that aerodynamic drag is the only reason bicyclists don’t get speeding tickets...

I’m starting with a new upright design, I realize the corners need to be rounded, but that has to wait for a molded version, and the molded version has to wait for a mass produced frame, or else the fairing won’t fit the frame. Experiments with flat, angled plates show the front fairing needs to be angled no more than 54° to the horizontal, and the rear Tailbox should have an 11° taper.

The chart the IHPVA published in 1983 © Douglas Malewicki

The BUY-CYCLE . Part of the economy.
Old 07-18-21, 02:35 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
This wouldn't even be that hard to make. Apparently the nullwinds link posted earlier has the front wheel fairing, an integrated teardrop shaped seat bag would not be that hard to make/source and that just leaves the front handlebar fairing, of which I know I've seen several plexiglass models.Add tri spoke and disc wheels and there you go.

I also think bike choice would help. Perhaps a soft ride design would eliminate turbulence from the seat post/stays and make a rear wheel fairing similar to the nullwind possible.
My own experiments, (23rd prototype at this point in time) all point to the conclusion that effective aerodynamic Fairings could be constructed within the envelope and parameters of typical bicycle baskets and/or fairings. Two ways of doing it would be either a touring bike, as we’ve been discussing in this thread, or as a cargo bike, which would open up more possibilities.
The touring bike would need a large 3rd chainring, but I believe such a touring bike could out-sprint a time-trial bike. It would limit the available pannier space, but I believe it could be done.
The main hinderance to production of a fairing/pannier System setup would be incompatibility issues with different frames, and sizes of frames. Would make a custom bike cost an astronomical fee (but isn’t that the point of a custom bike?)
I see similarities between fairings and the cargo carriers on bike share systems, and it also points to the conclusion that injection molded plastic fairings would be economical if all the bikes were identical.
Old 07-23-21, 07:58 AM
hotbike

Newest directional signals test

Old 07-24-21, 05:44 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 1,132 Times in 488 Posts
My own experiments, (23rd prototype at this point in time) all point to the conclusion that effective aerodynamic Fairings could be constructed within the envelope and parameters of typical bicycle baskets and/or fairings.
Have you measured the aerodynamic drag of any of your designs? How much do they help?
Likes For RChung:
Old 07-24-21, 06:30 AM
hotbike

Originally Posted by RChung
Have you measured the aerodynamic drag of any of your designs? How much do they help?
The Type 4, which had only a front fairing mounted, but no tail fairing, was timed rolling downhill, compared to an unfaired bike , and by _extrapolation_ the drag coefficient was determined to be .38 .
I don’t have a wind tunnel.
Im much older now, I’ve had a couple of injuries and a couple of medical conditions.
I can say that the fairings help with headwinds, definitely. But I haven’t been able to obtain an 84t chainring, which would allow the aerodynamic advantage to be demonstrated on flat ground.
Old 07-24-21, 06:53 AM
hotbike

This bike, which was the seventeenth prototype, but is now reworked into the twenty-fourth prototype, is very bulky, to maximize the carrying capacity, and the weather protection for the rider.
I enjoy riding my creations, I have more creature-comforts than most bikers. I see a big difference with the number of lights leading more drivers to pass with more distance.
I could make a faster bicycle, but it would be near fully enclosed, requiring a pit crew to seal the hatch, and it would be only useful for 200 meter sprints.
I rushed this bike out the door as soon as the last signal light was soldered in, and there was a concert in progress when I got to Glen Cove.
Old 07-24-21, 07:04 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I don't want to dissuade anyone from experimenting, but I'm guessing that the OP's design will probably cause more drag than riding without it. And frankly, I want the wind while riding on hot days as it keeps me cooled off. If there's no wind on me evaporating my sweat then I'm going to overheat really quickly.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-24-21, 03:37 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I don't want to dissuade anyone from experimenting, but I'm guessing that the OP's design will probably cause more drag than riding without it. And frankly, I want the wind while riding on hot days as it keeps me cooled off. If there's no wind on me evaporating my sweat then I'm going to overheat really quickly.
Maybe, depending on whether the fairing and panniers are optimized for cargo capacity, or for speed... a low profile would help you go faster, but you can’t carry any significant amount of cargo, maybe a loaf of bread (the word “pannier” is derived from a French word meaning bread-carrier) .
But you will learn to appreciate the fairing on cold days, I recommend studded tires account of black ice.
These latest designs btw, are based on my touring bike design of 1987. My daughter designed the ladies version/cargo bike in 1991, but it requires an expensive monocoque to be built. It’s going to be expensive to do it over again. I want to have a cheaper alternative available for people who can’t afford the cargo bike, hence the touring bike.
Keep in mind, I’m using Coroplast ©, and it’s going to yield a boxier result than fiberglass or carbon. I can’t settle on a final design account of the variations in bike designs available on the market, this is no one-size-fits-all device.
I may have to have the frames welded in China or Viet Nam. I see a similarity in the design of the CitiBike, which has something on the handlebars, a protective shield and cargo carrier, very similar to a fairing (and the aerodynamics are not of prime importance considering the speed limit in New York is 25MPH).
It is important to have the frame and fairing matching at the design stage, and the templates must fit exactly to ensure successful manufacture.
I want to provide a resource guide and database to other experimenters.
Old 07-24-21, 05:38 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
These are cool looking and someone has already done the heavy thinking.

Old 07-24-21, 07:39 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
These are cool looking and someone has already done the heavy thinking.

Everyone who’s tried those says they’re great, but I’m hoping we can have something Bicycle-specific manufactured.
Not sure how you might make a fairing or front basket with those buckets.
I’d like to compare dimensions.

My panniers are one piece, left and right together, and the sides are higher than the rack. The rear pannier/tailbox is easier to mount on the bike account of the rear rack, which is pretty much standard, while the fairing for the handlebars requires custom made hardware...

Mounting hardware for handlebars
Likes For hotbike:
Old 07-26-21, 05:07 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I do admit to being amused at how these homemade bike attachments have model numbers.
Old 07-26-21, 05:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
I can see that it might be hard to tell one white plastic box from another. I expect the model numbers will be needed when they go into production.
Old 07-26-21, 05:58 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
A triple? A triple?!? What is this, a touring bike or a performance machine?
University of Toronto should feel embarrassed!***
And barefoot.
Old 07-27-21, 05:18 AM
hotbike

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I can see that it might be hard to tell one white plastic box from another. I expect the model numbers will be needed when they go into production.
I need to know which one the (potential) customer is referring to. The one with the biggest cargo space holds about six times more volume than the most aerodynamic model.
I’m trying to lay the groundwork for a possible business, and I don’t want a monopoly. I expect and encourage others to make their own version. I do in fact have a competitor- CitiBike.
CitiBike has most of the features, the plastic shield on the handlebars perhaps the most noticeable...
Likes For hotbike:
Old 07-27-21, 07:56 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
320 puts all the weight too far up IMHO, the idea is the get the weight as close to the axle's as possible
Old 07-27-21, 09:15 AM
hotbike

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
320 puts all the weight too far up IMHO, the idea is the get the weight as close to the axle's as possible

M320 Pannier/Tailbox

The M320 is 21” deep overall, 14” above the rack shelf, 7” below. Heavy items should be placed in the pannier wells.
If the panniers are any deeper, there then needs to be a cutout to prevent heel-strike.

The M320 is tapered, narrower at the rear, and is overall more aerodynamic because it’s in the riders wake.
Old 07-27-21, 10:21 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

M320 Pannier/Tailbox

The M320 is 21” deep overall, 14” above the rack shelf, 7” below. Heavy items should be placed in the pannier wells.
If the panniers are any deeper, there then needs to be a cutout to prevent heel-strike.

The M320 is tapered, narrower at the rear, and is overall more aerodynamic because it’s in the riders wake.
Which brings us bag around to bags
Old 07-27-21, 10:34 AM
hotbike

Which brings us bag around to bags

Chart shows “Touring-arms straight” , but doesn’t show bags. Bags I’m sure would add resistance aerodynamic. Tapered Tailbox has been shown to reduce wind resistance.
Old 07-27-21, 12:24 PM
hotbike

You could write a letter to CitiBike, tell them the carrier on the handlebars should be a bag...
Old 07-27-21, 01:27 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

So we're going to ignore weight distribution of a rider on a bike, even more so on and upright bike?

I have no real problem with what you're doing but please make honest arguments.
Old 07-28-21, 11:29 AM
hotbike

So we're going to ignore weight distribution of a rider on a bike, even more so on and upright bike?

I have no real problem with what you're doing but please make honest arguments.

Deeper Panniers require a cut-out to prevent heel-strike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.