Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Stripped pedal threads

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Stripped pedal threads

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-21, 08:24 PM
Bgowdey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stripped pedal threads

I’ve looked around on these forums an found a lot of resources but no real answer to my questions.

I have a 1997 Trek 820 which is in good condition since it has been to Burning Man 11 times. I’m the original owner and purchased it in ‘97. The bike has a lot of sentimental value as a “burner bike” and I’d like to keep on using it as such until it’s no longer usable.

I’ve had it cleaned and tuned over the years and when the pedal stripped out of the crank arm during quarantine last winter, the new bike mechanic at the shop said he wouldn’t repair it as it would be cheaper to buy a new bike. Which I know is bull.

So I’d like to fix it myself.

The crank arm shows 170 FC-CT92
its part of a Shimano Altus, 24/34/42 teeth
The Bottom Bracket is Shimano BB-LP26, 116 mm spindle. I got this information from bikepedia but I can’t post links yet.

I can’t seem to find a dealer that sells the product. I’d rather not buy one off eBay.

What would fit this bike?
can I just replace the crank arm like the old repair tech did on the left arms few years ago?
Old 09-12-21, 10:43 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
The only spot you'll find that particular crank is on ebay, the models have changed multiple times since then.
A good shop should be able to drill and install a Heli-Coil which is typically a 20-40.00 job. With how old the bike is perhaps he felt the crank was too worn to make it worth the effort.
Replacing the crankset is a reasonable option but unless you get the same crank you're taking a gamble on if the BB will work with the new crank. If the BB is too short the teeth of the crank can hit the chainstay, bottom out on the frame or the crankarm hit the chainstay. Too long means the front der won't shift right. Best is to buy the crank with a BB that is meant to fit. But check before you do if your front der is a clamp on or an e-type. A clamp on front der obviously has a clamp that goes around the frame and bolts together, e-type is held in place by a plate that goes do to the BB and is pressed between the BB and the frame. If an e-type that will be annoying but there are solutions.
If a clamp on front derailleur than any crank with the same number of teeth on the chainrings that's 7/8 speed will work. Your bike will use a 68mm bb shell. You will need the tools to remove and install the old parts but they're also readily available.
Old 09-13-21, 05:22 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
square taper jis 170mm

Google that. Pick any crank arm you fancy.