Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Electrolysis on aluminimium/ alloy parts?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-20, 10:55 AM
tonyfourdogs

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail (1991)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Ello again

I have done a quick search on this topic, so forgive me if I'm duplicating another thread here, but I couldn't find the info I was looking for. I've decided that electrolysis is the way forward for me when it comes to rust removal. Cheap, cheerful and no horrible chemicals my dogs could accidentally encounter and poison themselves with. For steel parts, it seems very straightforward. But what I can't find the answer to is this: components that are a mix of steel and alloy, e.g. derailleurs. Will electrolysis damage alloys or anodised parts? Is it safe to electrocute my derailleurs?

Thanks
Old 09-03-20, 03:32 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Well, when you put an electrolyte in contact with two dissimilar metals, one will eat the other. Adding an external EMF source will probably accelerate the process.
Likes For old's'cool:
Old 09-03-20, 03:34 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
...Depending on which way the current is flowing (between the two metals), you might also weld them together.
Old 09-03-20, 04:07 PM
ZudeJammer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Series V 1985, Motobecane Grand Touring 1982, Specialized Stumpjumper 1993, Raleigh International 1972, Raleigh Grand Prix 1972, Kuwahara Count 1983, Trek Cirrus 1987, Shogun 2001 1983, Cannondale SM700 1990

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 96 Posts
are you going to rainbow anodize it so it comes out like the oil slick color?
Old 09-03-20, 05:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
This has been hashed and re-hashed in the marine field forever. There is a galvanic table. All metals are on it. Electric flow caused by the dissimilar galvanic property and the presence of an electrolyte means ions travel from the "lesser" metal to the more noble metal. See the table on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion. (Actually, search further for more complete tables. You will see steels and stainless steel over a wide range, What alloy you are talking about matters.

OP, it sounds like you are willing to do an experiment as to what items on your bike will go away when you apply electricity and electrolyte. Those of us who have sailed salt water find that heeding the wisdom of those before is often far less costly. Just for fun, the classic and revered Campy NR rear derailleur had aluminum, at least one steel and brass or bronze in it. Apply galvanic corrosion and one (or more) of those is going away.

I suggest you do this on a bike you care nothing for and report back.

Ben
Old 09-04-20, 12:19 AM
tonyfourdogs

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail (1991)

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
haha thanks for your replies folks. I had no idea it would be such a disastrous experiment! Since I now 'know' the outcome, I think I'll save even my most sickly derailleurs the indignity of this cruel curiosity.

It's a good job I asked first, eh?
Old 09-04-20, 11:19 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
I'm not familiar with this proposed method of rust removal, but it does sound a bit like electroplating as a way to add metal to something.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroplating

.... but it does involve nasty chemicals and other dangerous stuff. Prior to electroplating, you'd have to remove the rust to get down to a conductive surface.

Can't blame you for hoping for a bit of a miracle, though.

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-04-20, 12:34 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Soak them in Evaporust. That's one of the many great things about it--you can soak pieces, like derailleurs, that contain both steel and aluminum. Unlike oxalic acid or an electrolysis bath, it only reacts with rust.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash