Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Pro’s Closet - anyone used them? How accurate are ratings?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-21, 02:53 PM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Anyone have a good or bad experience buying from them? Thinking of making a purchase but have the obvious concerns around wear etc.
Old 04-26-21, 03:03 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Might not be exactly what you're looking for as in feed back but I've purchased a frameset from them and had a good experience.

It's the Cannondale Super Six Hi Mod that I'm riding now, however I had gotten a new, old stock frameset. The pictures they take online look spot on in regards to what you get.
Likes For oris:
Old 04-26-21, 03:49 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I bought a complete bike from them in January. If anything, it was in better shape than I expected. I also had some very specific questions about sizing that they answered promptly and accurately on a Saturday. They have tons of pictures of their bikes if you want to see anything specific. The bike was shipped quickly and came out of the box without issues. I had to swap out the ancient sealant in the tires, that's it. This is a quality outfit based on my experience.

Of course, you pay top dollar for their stuff... but at least you're getting what you pay for.
Old 04-26-21, 09:32 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've bought one or two things. Prices tend to be higher than from a private seller, but descriptions are accurate IME,

and I'm sure they would address any issues.
Old 04-26-21, 11:05 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
I also purchased a frames from them...it was exactly as described. They can be pricey, bt when you're buying a used bike do you want to buy it from a neighborhood piker who maybe maintained it, and didn't prep it to sell, or from a shop that specializes in refurbishing used stuff before sale?
Old 04-27-21, 02:38 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
I bought, at a great price, a NIB SRAM Force AXS crankset, and I’ve seen some other good deals go through PC, so I check them periodically as a matter of habit.
Old 04-27-21, 05:08 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
I recently sold a bike to TPC, and the listing and pictures accurately describe the condition of the bike.
Likes For jwalther:
Old 04-27-21, 07:58 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
I bought a power meter from them a few years ago. It was all good. Zero concerns and wouldn't hesitate to buy from TPC again.

The prices are on the high side, but you get what you pay for... which in this case is a really good website with very accurate descriptions, good photos, and a safe/reliable online purchasing process.
Old 04-27-21, 09:21 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
They're legit. I've made a couple of purchases and everything was in good order. As mentioned, they're not the place to go for bargains.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 04-27-21, 11:07 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
I just scrolled through TPC road bike offerings out of curiosity. I was surprised to find several carbon fiber bikes in Medium size that have been damaged and repaired. (Edit: Still scrolling... it seems like almost every medium size carbon road bike on their site seems to have been damaged and repaired...)

In each description they clearly note this and mention that the repair was done by a shop in Boulder and comes with a 5 year warranty, but it does seem a bit strange. I've never seen a bike with frame damage/repair on their site before, but maybe I just haven't noticed.
Old 04-27-21, 01:36 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I bought some Campagnolo Super Record Brake Calipers from them. I paid about $75 each. The calipers arrived clean, well packed, and flawless.
Old 04-27-21, 05:02 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I just scrolled through TPC road bike offerings out of curiosity. I was surprised to find several carbon fiber bikes in Medium size that have been damaged and repaired. (Edit: Still scrolling... it seems like almost every medium size carbon road bike on their site seems to have been damaged and repaired...)

In each description they clearly note this and mention that the repair was done by a shop in Boulder and comes with a 5 year warranty, but it does seem a bit strange. I've never seen a bike with frame damage/repair on their site before, but maybe I just haven't noticed.
I’m guessing the undamaged medium sized bikes go rather quickly.
Old 04-29-21, 07:46 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la

Their stock is decimated, you're seeing the bottom of the barrel. They had a ton of bikes in January but they've sold almost everything good. They were actually running a 10% sale briefly at the end of 2020, those days are long gone. If they get something good in stock in a popular size, it's gone instantly. Their prices are very high right now, they're charging almost new bike prices for stuff that's 2-3 years old. It's the world we're in right now. As I said above,at least if you buy from them you're going to get what you paid for.

Personally,I've given up buying another bike this year, even though I'm in the market for a new MTB. 2022-2023 is going to be the time to buy used stuff from TPC. I'll do business with them again and I'll bet they are flooded with bikes in the next couple of years.
Old 04-29-21, 09:23 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Have bought from them many times with no issues.
Old 05-04-21, 09:47 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
I got two wheelsets from them. Good stuff.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.