Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why do high(er)-end bicycles come with saddles?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why do high(er)-end bicycles come with saddles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-21, 11:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Perhaps we will see these on bike shop bikes, regardless of the color scheme.

And, a bit worn looking after hundreds of test rides, and moved from bike to bike.

Old 06-01-21, 11:51 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I can't ride a saddle that doesn't have my name hand embroidered into it. If a shop doesn't stock those, I leave.
Old 06-02-21, 05:13 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
It's really the only way to ensure that all important matchy matchy with the bar tape.
Old 06-02-21, 05:37 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I can't ride a saddle that doesn't have my name hand embroidered into it. If a shop doesn't stock those, I leave.
Is your name Brook?
Old 06-02-21, 06:53 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
There are a fair number of people, even among those that'll spring for a high zoot bike, that rarely go on rides long enough for a so-so saddle to become problematic.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-02-21, 06:59 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
There are a fair number of people, even among those that'll spring for a high zoot bike, that rarely go on rides long enough for a so-so saddle to become problematic.
Gotta to agree on that especially in the last year with all the new COVID cyclists.

Sales assploded in my area to a point where almost all the 2021 are either sold out and/or reserved even before they arrive at the LBS. Tons of people with more money than usual buying expensive bikes they'll end up selling once this is all over .
Old 06-02-21, 07:36 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
We read a lot about saddle issues and preferences on BF but I agree, lots of riders just aren't picky.
I agree. If I'm given a choice of saddle, I'll choose something I'm familiar with. If not, then I'll ride the saddle that the bike came with. Some saddles work better for me than others, but none were unrideable or caused any issues .
Likes For noimagination:
Old 06-02-21, 08:05 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,846 Times in 2,999 Posts
If people are not that fussed about saddles, why would they be so fussed about pedals? If say I bought a road bike with an Ultegra group set, a pair of Ultegra pedals would be the obvious choice.

Personally, I would rather choose my own saddle and pedals on a new bike, but I don’t understand why pedals are not included with bikes, while saddles always are. I think it makes less sense to include a saddle on a really high end build where it would be an expensive item to replace if it didn’t work for you.

But I know some online manufacturers like Orbea now provide a choice of saddle options (and many other components too), which I think is a much better idea. The ability to choose saddle, ratios, wheels etc from a menu is the way to go. Especially now shops rarely stock many off-the-shelf bikes anyway.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-02-21, 08:24 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Cars do the same things with options packages that include or exclude things that make no sense.

If I had to guess, your bum despite being unique can conform to what they toss on the bike. But, if they put a specific cleat style pedal on there......there's a pretty good chance it's worthless to you. So, no pedals or flats it is.

My personal opinion is that the car and bike world would be better off if folks could have the patience to wait a couple weeks for delivery after placing a custom order in the Japanese lean manufacturing style. Go in for a quick fit, choose your groupset, saddle, pedals, stem length, bar width........wait a few weeks........ride happy. Maybe a test ride on a display model or something.

I always find it interesting that we treat the most expensive purchases in life with such disregard. You HAVE to have a car TODAY so you settle for some bull you don't want or need and a car that likely isn't really what you actually want. Same for a bicycle.

Shrug?
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-02-21, 08:26 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I always liked Selle Italia saddles. Then my new bike came with a house brand short nose saddle that I find very comfortable. Picked up a cross bike with a very similar Selle Italia saddle. I'll change saddles when necessary, but as long as the basic shape is good, I am more concerned about shorts and bibs.
Old 06-02-21, 08:31 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Everyone has 2 cheeks on their butt which will fit any saddle. Now we have as many pedal / cleat options as there are flavors of ice cream. And almost everyone has a different pedal setup.

Back in the pre-clipless days you either had racing pedals where shoe blocks and straps fit, or platform pedals that everyone else used.
Old 06-02-21, 09:44 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Except when the bike mfr. puts a decent saddle on the bike, if they are using a "house brand" or cheap saddle, the price likely wouldn't drop anyway. The little it costs them would just be pocketed. So in the case of "cheaper" saddles, why not have one come with the bike, for test rides, if nothing else.
Old 06-02-21, 10:41 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by PeteHski
If people are not that fussed about saddles, why would they be so fussed about pedals? If say I bought a road bike with an Ultegra group set, a pair of Ultegra pedals would be the obvious choice.
Most people aren't going to buy new shoes or cleats because they bought a bike. If the bike has Speedplays, I can't even ride it once until something changes.

This forum is full of people who really love cycling, while most in here want things exactly the way they want them, that's probably not the typical cyclist.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-02-21, 10:47 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
They should probably sell bikes without wheels, too...
or stem, or handlebars, or seat post (I always seem to need more setback than what they come with). Come to think of it, I would prefer a high end bike be sold as a frame and fork with a group set on it. Chances are it will save me at least as much as I would make dumping all those take-offs at the bay.
Old 06-02-21, 12:21 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
I have around 10 bikes currently. Musing on the saddle topic, I just realized that all of the bikes have different saddle models (probably) and that I couldn't tell you what any of them are without looking. I don't recall ever replacing a stock saddle that wasn't worn out or damaged, though I might have at one time or another.

When a saddle seems uncomfortable to me on a newly set-up bike, I first try dropping the saddle height a few millimeters. That usually does the trick.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-02-21, 12:41 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Trakhak
When a saddle seems uncomfortable to me on a newly set-up bike, I first try dropping the saddle height a few millimeters. That usually does the trick.
It takes at least 100 miles to break the fanny into the new saddle.

Same thing if you take a few winter months off from riding.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-02-21, 12:45 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Most people aren't going to buy new shoes or cleats because they bought a bike. If the bike has Speedplays, I can't even ride it once until something changes.

This forum is full of people who really love cycling, while most in here want things exactly the way they want them, that's probably not the typical cyclist.
One option would be for the stores to mark the prices up and give a $50 pedal credit with every bike.

I was going to say that a mid-range SPD pedal would go good with many high-end MTBs, but I'm sure there is still a raging debate between flats and SPDs. Or even combo flats/spds.

On occasion if I'm going for a test-ride, I'll bring my own pedals with me.

I don't have any Look/SPD-SL/etc pedals on any bikes. I keep meaning to try them sometime. But, every bike that I regularly ride has some form of SPD pedals (not all the same).
Old 06-02-21, 01:01 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 870 Posts

Personally, I would rather choose my own saddle and pedals on a new bike, but I don’t understand why pedals are not included with bikes, while saddles always are. I think it makes less sense to include a saddle on a really high end build where it would be an expensive item to replace if it didn’t work for you.

But I know some online manufacturers like Orbea now provide a choice of saddle options (and many other components too), which I think is a much better idea. The ability to choose saddle, ratios, wheels etc from a menu is the way to go. Especially now shops rarely stock many off-the-shelf bikes anyway.
Pedal systems are non-standard and shoes are specific to 2 or 3 bolt systems, so that doesn't work unless you're also folding the cost of new shoes into the build.

As for custom builds, there are options out there from several manufacturers. Trek Project One is exactly what you are describing. You can choose all the parts, choose custom paint, fit whatever wheels, saddle, etc you want.

I'm not sure it's realistic to expect manufactures to provide this level of customization on every bike they sell, but it's definitely out there and available on many higher end bikes if you want it.
Old 06-02-21, 01:23 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm not sure it's realistic to expect manufactures to provide this level of customization on every bike they sell ...
They do, it's called a frameset.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 06-02-21, 01:30 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by CliffordK
One option would be for the stores to mark the prices up and give a $50 pedal credit with every bike.

I was going to say that a mid-range SPD pedal would go good with many high-end MTBs, but I'm sure there is still a raging debate between flats and SPDs. Or even combo flats/spds.

On occasion if I'm going for a test-ride, I'll bring my own pedals with me.

I don't have any Look/SPD-SL/etc pedals on any bikes. I keep meaning to try them sometime. But, every bike that I regularly ride has some form of SPD pedals (not all the same).
I bring shoes to test ride and expect a store to have pedals for me to use. 🙂

I used SPDs for most of my time as a cyclist, changed to Keo cleats most of a decade ago to use power meter pedals. I like them.
Old 06-02-21, 02:16 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,846 Times in 2,999 Posts
Pedal systems are non-standard and shoes are specific to 2 or 3 bolt systems, so that doesn't work unless you're also folding the cost of new shoes into the build.

As for custom builds, there are options out there from several manufacturers. Trek Project One is exactly what you are describing. You can choose all the parts, choose custom paint, fit whatever wheels, saddle, etc you want.

I'm not sure it's realistic to expect manufactures to provide this level of customization on every bike they sell, but it's definitely out there and available on many higher end bikes if you want it.
I wouldn't want to go as far as a full custom build and all the extra expense that usually entails. Just some basic options around the contact points would be nice. Orbea do that very well and at no extra cost. Obviously good shops will swap out parts too.

But I think this is drifting away from the OP's original question. If you are buying a high-end bike, the saddle it comes with is no more likely to be the one you really want than if it came with some random high-end pedals. For me, both of those items are a personal choice on a high-end bike. I think that's what the OP was thinking and I tend to agree.
Old 06-02-21, 02:40 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by asgelle
They do, it's called a frameset.
You really don't see any difference between manufacturers selling stand-alone framesets and manufacturers allowing a menu of options for customers to customize a complete build from?
Old 06-02-21, 03:20 PM
msu2001la

I wouldn't want to go as far as a full custom build and all the extra expense that usually entails. Just some basic options around the contact points would be nice. Orbea do that very well and at no extra cost. Obviously good shops will swap out parts too.

But I think this is drifting away from the OP's original question. If you are buying a high-end bike, the saddle it comes with is no more likely to be the one you really want than if it came with some random high-end pedals. For me, both of those items are a personal choice on a high-end bike. I think that's what the OP was thinking and I tend to agree.
I guess I disagree with the presumption that everyone buying a high end bike is automatically swapping out the saddle. Unless you're a weight weenie shaving grams, a saddle is not an obvious performance upgrade part (like wheels, tires or groupsets would be) and unless the stock saddle is causing comfort issues I think most buyers likely just ride it and never think about it. I could be wrong about this... it would be interesting to hear from someone in the industry on this topic.

Pedals are not comparable to saddles, IMO. There is no standardization among manufactures and buyers may have shoes that don't work with certain systems. It goes beyond just a comfort/preference thing as the pedals sold on a bike may not even work with the shoes you already own. If bikes came with shoes it would be a more apt comparison.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-02-21, 08:51 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
You really don't see any difference between manufacturers selling stand-alone framesets and manufacturers allowing a menu of options for customers to customize a complete build from?
Even the manufacturer that offers a menu is going to have gaps in it. “Aww man, I really like this bike, but they only come with coke bottle cages, and I like the pepsi ones.”

I’m generally not too picky about saddles, but I’ve had 2 excruciating butt-hatchet experiences (one with my CAAD10, the other with a rented Kuota) where I absolutely couldn’t sit on it another minute. Somebody somewhere must have liked those saddles, though, because I see that stock Prologo on Cannondale bikes all the time. If it’s that bad, I’ll buy a new one. If it isn’t, I’ll just ride.
Old 06-02-21, 10:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Im sure the hassle to arrange test rides would just be too much for the shops, if there were no seat, no pedals, no bar tape, no etc.
+1 You need a saddle so the customer can do a test ride. Installing one takes a few minutes (unlike pedals that are very quick to install). Plus no bike looks "right" without a saddle. Again, the most important detail on a high end bike is the one critical to the sale. Whether that saddle gets ridden again matters zero to the shop. It doing its part to get that bike in the customer's hands - huge. So they put on saddles they believe play that role well.

This is in general. Some bike manufacturers, like Fuji, don't spend big bucks on parts they know the future owner will almost certainly replace. My 1976 Fuji came with training level rims and a cheap saddle. I immediately put the good seat I'd been racing on (which would have happened regardless). Trained on those wheels and built up nice, light race wheels (of the same hubs and Italian rims).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.